us-soviet forces 1945

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
i'm working on an hypothetical scenario taking place in july 1945 in south germany-czechoslovakia. Soviet forces launch an offensive on the third us army to size part of southern germany.
this scenario is for the game : the operational art of war, a century of warfare.

i have taken the map from an already made scenario (patton 1945 by Doug Bevard) on this subject though i'm not satisfied with the rest of the scenario. I'm looking for information about the table of equipement for both forces.
Scale level: regiment

i already have some information but it's mostly incomplete and i'd like to have as much information as possible to be sure it's correct.
I'm also interested by your oppinion on how the scenario should work regarding initiative ( knowing the russians are the first to attack).
information about the airforce as well as logistics of both sides is also welcome.

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
viridomaros said:
i'm working on an hypothetical scenario taking place in july 1945 in south germany-czechoslovakia. Soviet forces launch an offensive on the third us army to size part of southern germany.
this scenario is for the game : the operational art of war, a century of warfare.

i have taken the map from an already made scenario (patton 1945 by Doug Bevard) on this subject though i'm not satisfied with the rest of the scenario. I'm looking for information about the table of equipement for both forces.
Scale level: regiment

i already have some information but it's mostly incomplete and i'd like to have as much information as possible to be sure it's correct.
I'm also interested by your oppinion on how the scenario should work regarding initiative ( knowing the russians are the first to attack).
information about the airforce as well as logistics of both sides is also welcome.
Hi Pierre

Try to have a look here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TOandEs/

Der WanderOutreQuievrain

thomas.tmcc

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
thanks the yahoo group i own is worth checking out ,if your not sure then just ask we dont bite and its free to join and use ..

thomas

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
i have suscribed, what we can say it'sx that your group is really active!! :)
you have a lot of information available, i'm going to have a deep look at what you have :cheeky:

Levelworm

Reaction score
Country
llChina
thomas.tmcc said:
thanks the yahoo group i own is worth checking out ,if your not sure then just ask we dont bite and its free to join and use ..

thomas
I've subscribed to your group, I hope I can find NK OOB around 60s-70s.

Can't wait...:laugh:

Foggy

Reaction score
Any improvement on Patton 45 would be great. The concept is interesting -
my first PBEM game against Mensch - the scen needs a lot of work:rolleyes:

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Foggy said:
Any improvement on Patton 45 would be great. The concept is interesting -
my first PBEM game against Mensch - the scen needs a lot of work:rolleyes:
Indeed....

thomas.tmcc

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
viridomaros said:
i have suscribed, what we can say it'sx that your group is really active!! :)
you have a lot of information available, i'm going to have a deep look at what you have :cheeky:
hello mate if you need any help just ask me or the group .. :)

thomas

Snow Leopard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
viridomaros said:

sweet! The scenario I've always hoped someone would make. Good luck!

Snow Leopard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
viridomaros said:
have you already tried the cd version?
if you mean patton 45, then yes, several times. not a very good scenario imho.

i'd even suggest not using that map.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Snow Leopard said:
if you mean patton 45, then yes, several times. not a very good scenario imho.

i'd even suggest not using that map.
i have used the same map but i removed the alpine hexes and i'm probably going to add some escarpments on the mountains or may be badlands.

if you have any idea about how the scenario should work please feel free to share your ideas with me

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Hmm... Good idea - if you want to create good scen, not pro-western trash.... USSR has a lot of new weapons created to summer of 1945, MANY is-3 and is-2, t-44, etc

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
hoochiecoochie said:
Hmm... Good idea - if you want to create good scen, not pro-western trash.... USSR has a lot of new weapons created to summer of 1945, MANY is-3 and is-2, t-44, etc
well from what i have read, it's true that those new tanks are coming to the units by that time but only a few units are equiped with the new thanks

here are the toe of the various soviet armored units, i'm only listing the armour equipement here:

tank brigade:

90 t34/85
7 ISU 152

1 tank brigade out of 3 is equiped with IS II

mech brigade:

64 M4/76 sherman
3 SU 122

if you disaggree with my toe, feel free to tell me what i should change.
If possible try to give me links on the web about your sources.

i need information on the
3 tank army
4 tank army

if you're interested i can mail you the scenario so that you can have a look at the soviet forces

Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Yepp, try to mail me to hoochiecoochie1 (at) rambler.ru
(at) mean @
About tanks - there are MANY IS-2 which not fight at war, but they move to the units near end of war to the begin of summer 45...
There are about 100 IS-3 which go to military parade in the september of 1945...

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
i have built both OOB and deployed the units, i think it's time for a first playtest. Any volunteers?
This game will be scored as a non rated game meaning same amount of points for both players or not recorded if you prefer. I moved from Cow to TOAW III so you'd the latest version along with the latest patch

Infohazard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
re: Soviet OB

well from what i have read, it's true that those new tanks are coming to the units by that time but only a few units are equiped with the new thanks

here are the toe of the various soviet armored units, i'm only listing the armour equipement here:

tank brigade:

90 t34/85
7 ISU 152

1 tank brigade out of 3 is equiped with IS II

mech brigade:

64 M4/76 sherman
3 SU 122

if you disaggree with my toe, feel free to tell me what i should change.
If possible try to give me links on the web about your sources.

i need information on the
3 tank army
4 tank army

if you're interested i can mail you the scenario so that you can have a look at the soviet forces
Hi -
I haven't seen the TOAW III version of this scen. yet, but here's a few suggestions off the top of my head.
For the Soviets:
Dedicated engineer support (engineer regiments or brigades). These should include some dedicated bridging units.
Artillery Divisions (I think the scen. does ok simulating Soviet artillery assets at divisional/corps/army level but doesn't take into account these independant units that were specifically assigned to offensive fronts).
Anti-aircraft divisions
Engineering tank regiments (does the game simulate mineroller tanks? How about flame throwing vehicles? The Soviets had plenty of both!).
Give the Soviets a regiment or two of JSIIIs.
For the Americans:
Replace some of the tracked tank destroyer units with towed assets.
Other stuff:
Make both sides 'veteran'
Put some more paved roads on that map

I like your tank brigade ideas - there are far too many T-34/76s in the game. Should the SU-122s for the M4 Brigade be JSUs? I'm not sure as I don't have my books with me.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head. BTW, do you have Zaloga's 'Red Army Handbook'? I think it would have just the information you need. Good luck with the scen. - I plan to update to TOAW III soon, so hopefully I'll be able to try it out.
Cheers,
Infohazard

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
to piero 1971: there's a playtest going on , i'll make other changes once it will be over.

to infohazard: thanks for your suggestions

what i have already done:

- make both sides veterans
- give the soviets a regiment of IS3
- Dedicated engineer support
- i have added antiaircrafts units to protect the airports, if you have any historical information about those please enlight me. I'm reluctant to add pure AA divisions, i'd rather incorporate AA equipement into existing units unless you can show me it wasn't the case in RL.
- artillery divisions

what i'll probably change

- add more paved roads on the map, i like your idea. I already thought about it though i'm lacking of references about how it was in 1945.

i don't know for ISU=> JSU if you have good source, i'll make the change.

I don't really see what you mean about the tank destroyer unit for the US
are you talking about the 75mm mounted on a halftrack which should be towed instead?

to end i don't have the book you mentionned

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
- add more paved roads on the map, i like your idea. I already thought about it though i'm lacking of references about how it was in 1945.
How good is your german? :D

SHELL Straßenkarte Nr.17 Franken - Bayrische Ostmark - Sachsen - click on the map image to examine it.

It might be a bit hard to work with this one as you can't get a full view, only fractions, but better than nothing. A roadmap from 1939, shouldn't have changed much until '45.
There are more maps on that page you might need.