US Ordnance Note 5

TJ Fachko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
can anyone point me to, or provide me with, a photo or drawing of a US T25 155mm Mortar, in any form? thanks!

TJ Fachko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
outstanding Jazz, thank you for that...so much for me using a search engine that's not Google :whistle:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Google is your friend.....
Google is certainly not your friend.
It is an extremly intrusive profiler of your personal data for its own financial gain at your cost.

It is effective as a search engine, though.

Still you can take advantage of the Google search engine while throwing less of your data at it if you use a search engine that anonymously forwards your queries to Google as a proxy. For example

You enter your query normally into startpage.com, it anonymously forwards it to Google, Google sends the results to startpage.com, and startpage.com returns them to you. Same search results as with Google, but no Google data-gobbling for you.

outstanding Jazz, thank you for that...so much for me using a search engine that's not Google :whistle:
Something like startpage.com or comparable might be just the thing for you.

von Marwitz

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It is an extremly intrusive profiler of your personal data for its own financial gain at your cost.

In context, which is its efficience as a search engine, Google is your friend.
Exegesis must always be led regarding context.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
This is why I wrote:

"It is effective as a search engine, though."

Besides that, even in exegesis, it can't harm to look beyond one's nose.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
I don't think that it is not "looking beyond one's nose" to do one's best to address a sentence in relation to its context and thus to try to respect the original author in his intentions.
You conceded that Google is effective as a search engine, as a side note ("though"), which seemed to indicate that you took Jazz' statement as a general positive judgement about Google, that you criticized.
Jazz certainly wasn't implying that Google is your friend on a global scale, as he was answering a question about finding specific data about a mortar.

If I say that "Stalin, saying that snow is cold, was right", this doesn't mean that I consider that he was right on a global scale.
If you answer : "Stalin was certainly not right as a mass murderer and a dictator", it will simply show that you took my sentence out of context and generated a fallacious debate - understating that I would not be conscious about the terrible person that Stalin was.

Context is the queen of exegesis.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You conceded that Google is effective as a search engine, as a side note ("though"), which seemed to indicate that you took Jazz' statement as a general positive judgement about Google, that you criticized.
Jazz certainly wasn't implying that Google is your friend on a global scale, as he was answering a question about finding specific data about a mortar.
I said that Google is effective as a search engine but that I see serious drawbacks, which can be largely be compensated for by taking advantage of the possibility of benefitting of its serach engine indirectly.

I made a negative general judgement about Google and was not implying that Jazz made a general positive judgement about it.

And I will leave it at that.

von Marwitz

TJ Fachko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been using the search engine that looks like a duck for a while now, and have found no reason to be dissatisfied...I am surprised a search for this weapon turned up zilch though, whereas it pops right up when using Google...I'm sure the answer is above my pay grade :)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Still you can take advantage of the Google search engine while throwing less of your data at it if you use a search engine that anonymously forwards your queries to Google as a proxy. For example

You enter your query normally into startpage.com, it anonymously forwards it to Google, Google sends the results to startpage.com, and startpage.com returns them to you. Same search results as with Google, but no Google data-gobbling for you.

Something like startpage.com or comparable might be just the thing for you.

von Marwitz
Better watch out! Your post could be deemed political in nature or at least offensive to those in power.Best not to bash anyone/thing! ;):rolleyes: