US Army resources

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
I am looking for information about US divisions that were formed in the US during WWII, divisions that actually did not leave continental US. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Upon closer inspection, I found only one division that never left the Continental USA. The 2nd Cavalry Division (Horse) formed 1/Apr/41, and inactivated 15/Jul/42. Several other divisions didn't see any combat, though did proceed overseas.

Case

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Originally posted by Martin Schenkel
Upon closer inspection, I found only one division that never left the Continental USA. The 2nd Cavalry Division (Horse) formed 1/Apr/41, and inactivated 15/Jul/42. Several other divisions didn't see any combat, though did proceed overseas.
Are you sure about that? I think that I've read that the 2nd cavalry was disbanded in Algiers.

The article at militarygameronline.com by Bill Wilson states that "The 2nd Cavalry Division was made up of the 2nd, 9th, 10th, and 14th cavalry regiments. Later, the 2nd and 14th Cavalry regiments were detached from the division, leaving the 9th and 10th regiments. The 2nd Cavalry Division deployed to North Africa with a brigade comprised of these two regiments, but saw no combat. The 2nd and 14th regiments once again became independent regiments."

Reaction score
Originally posted by Case

Are you sure about that? I think that I've read that the 2nd cavalry was disbanded in Algiers.
You're right, however (I should have clarified) there were two US 2nd Cavalry Divisions in existence. The first (as above) which contained 2nd, 14th, 9th and 10th Cavalry Regiments, and a second designated as 2nd Cavalry Division (Horse)(Colored), which formed 25/Feb/43 with 9th, 10th 27th and 28th Cavalry Regiments, and disbanded in North Africa Mar-Jun/44.

Source: Order of Battle: US Army, World War II (Shelby L. Stanton)