Upper level encirclement

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I’m interested in the ‘timing’ of ULE.

I have a Russian stack at ground level in the only stairwell hex of a multi-story building. In Def Fire, they break a German MMG squad (but not the leader) ADJACENT in the 1st Level stairwell (sorry no pic supplied).

Are the German units now immediately ‘Upper Level Encircled’, so that in the upcoming Rout Phase, the German squad must surrender to the Russian stack (leaving the German leader with an abandoned MMG on the 1st level stairwell?

Or can the Germans rout upstairs?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I’m interested in the ‘timing’ of ULE.

I have a Russian stack at ground level in the only stairwell hex of a multi-story building. In Def Fire, they break a German MMG squad (but not the leader) ADJACENT in the 1st Level stairwell (sorry no pic supplied).

Are the German units now immediately ‘Upper Level Encircled’, so that in the upcoming Rout Phase, the German squad must surrender to the Russian stack (leaving the German leader with an abandoned MMG on the 1st level stairwell?

Or can the Germans rout upstairs?
I'm confused. There is one stairwell. It has a Soviet unit in it at ground level. Why are the German units in the upper levels not upper-level encircled at the beginning of this story? Why is there a question of timing? The Soviet unit—which causes the upper-level-encirclement—has not moved or changed.

JR

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whether encircled before or after the shot that broke the squad, the squad is now encircled and surrenders because he is broken.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Why are the German units in the upper levels not upper-level encircled at the beginning of this story?
I thought the potentially encircled unit needed to be fired at first. I’ve probably been playing it wrong. Looks like A7.7 is fire dependant & A7.72 is movement dependent.
Whether encircled before or after the shot that broke the squad, the squad is now encircled and surrenders because he is broken.
... and leaving the German leader on his own.

Thanks for the replies.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I thought the potentially encircled unit needed to be fired at first. I’ve probably been playing it wrong. Looks like A7.7 is fire dependant & A7.72 is movement dependent.
Ah. It happens as soon as the unit can't reach ground level.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah. It happens as soon as the unit can't reach ground level.

JR
As long as the unit at ground level is a KEU. If concealed the upper level unit unit would not become encircled until such a time as the ground level unit was not concealed.