Updates to the Pocket Rule Book vs. eASLRB

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there a way to determine what version of the eASLRB the current Pocket Rule Book corresponds to? I think it's clear that the eASLRB is the most current version of the rules (based on posted errata). The Pocket RB is noted in its website listing as a "print on demand" product which gets reprinted when inventory gets low. Is it fair to assume that reprints will correspond to the most current version of the eASLRB in terms of updated content? The current available version of the Pocket RB is v2, which is I think is pre-J13 errata. Is there an expectation of when v3 will be available? I think both the eASLRB and Pocket RB have been great additions to the ASL toolbox, but keeping them synched when updates occur may be a challenge.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Keeping them synced will be a challenge.
The eASLRB will often be more up-to-date than the pASLRB.
As you indicate, current pASLRB is pre-J13 errata.
Hard to predict when it will get updated, but it shouldn’t be TOO long.

Auscot

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Odd that MMP don't have a versioning or date system.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Odd that MMP don't have a versioning or date system.
They do, it's just a matter of synching them. The next version of the pocket RB will be v3. The eASLRB is currently on v2.05, which includes everything up through J13. With the ease of updating the eASLRB, I don't think it will be realistic to expect that the pocket RB will be released as often as they can release a revised eASLRB. It will be up to MMP to decide the criteria for updating the pocket RB to as to not end up with a stack of OBE old versions in their warehouse while keeping it fairly synched with the eASLRB. I have a tendency to use the pocket RB (v2 has been fine since it was released), but will look for the next release to ensure I've got the most updated version available.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It will be up to MMP to decide the criteria for updating the pocket RB to as to not end up with a stack of OBE old versions in their warehouse while keeping it fairly synched with the eASLRB.
Pocket rulebook is print on demand: there is no stock.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pocket rulebook is print on demand: there is no stock.
I think the "print on demand" likely refers to printing in small batches, not each individual order. There's this note at the end of the product description:

Note: This is a print on demand product and our inventory may fluctuate. If/when we sell out, more will be ordered from our printer. It can take approximately two weeks for us to receive a restock!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The stock would be limited, then.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The stock would be limited, then.
Correct, and from a cost/timing perspective, you would want to determine the release of the next version of the pocket RB based on 1) when it makes sense from an accumulated errata perspective, and 2) when your stock of the previous version has hit the lowest feasible point (to minimize waste).