Update?

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi to anyone in the know who might be watching this.

Any idea when the next update for REN is coming out? There are some really good updates in the Napoleonic series I would love to see in this (infantry can melee with cavalry in obstructed hexes for example) and I was hoping they'd be ported over soon.

It's been over 3 years since the last update, so I hope one is coming out...or planned.

Thanks

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The updates are tied to releases; NB has had a number of releases in the past few years, and I think all the ones that have come out since November 2009 (of the NB titles) were all done by Bill Peters. At the time too, this has coincided with Tiller needing to ditch the cd in the tray thing for direct download purposes, and again Bill did most of the NB titles (but not all) -which is why you were seeing a lot of those coming out.

With Musket and Pike however - at the moment, I think anything new in Ren barring some major failure (like the video card issue that happened across series) -then it will almost certainly have to wait until the next title comes out.

That being said there are several projects actively being developed in the series.

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The news that things are being developed, even if it's years off, is great news and very good to hear! Thanks! :)

Can you give any clues as to what these projects are? I would guess a 1600-1660 game dealing with the 30 Years War, English Civil War and so on would be first priority.

The great thing about the Ren engine though is that it could potentially do anything from classical antiquity to the end of the 18th century!

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
With regards to the Thirty Years War there is a reply in this thread: http://hpssims.com.c7.previewyoursite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5333 -confirming that this is one of them. It probably will not be next (99 % certain of that).

Priorities at JTS usually go hand and hand with development progress -for example if all things start out at an equal priority, sometimes the development progress does not stay the same over time, so while something might seem like an intuitive next choice -things don't always end up that way when things get published.

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
With regards to the Thirty Years War there is a reply in this thread: http://hpssims.com.c7.previewyoursite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5333 -confirming that this is one of them. It probably will not be next (99 % certain of that).

Priorities at JTS usually go hand and hand with development progress -for example if all things start out at an equal priority, sometimes the development progress does not stay the same over time, so while something might seem like an intuitive next choice -things don't always end up that way when things get published.

TheGrayMouser

Reaction score

When you say "not next" do you mean overall in JT titles, or not next with the Musket and Pike series? I honestly cant think of a title within the series that would make more sence to come next than the 30 years war ...
(unless its an Italian wars or medieval title, which would be awesome too)

trauth116

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
When you say "not next" do you mean overall in JT titles, or not next with the Musket and Pike series? I honestly cant think of a title within the series that would make more sense to come next than the 30 years war ...
(unless its an Italian wars or medieval title, which would be awesome too)
Basically -both.

I am 100% certain that it won't be next out by JTS. At the same time I am very slightly less certain that it will not be next in the Musket and Pike series. However the Musket and Pike series represents a lot broader of a time period than I, personally, think that the name implies.

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Indeed. I discussed this with Rich once; it can basically cover any war until the end of the 19th century quite easily, with few changes.

So long as another game in that series eventually comes out I'll be very happy.

TheGrayMouser

Reaction score
So basically what you two are saying is the next Pike and Shot game will be the Franco Prussian war. ;)