Update Woes

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
So I tried to update VASL the other night because I tried to load up some scenario set-ups and they didn't work because I had the wrong board versions. Figured I would just update everything. So I updated to the latest version of VASSAL and the latest version of VASL. When VASL wouldn't load, I went to update Java, but it wouldn't update because it won't work with my browser. It won't work with most browsers now, due to the in-browser applet which is no longer supported by most browsers, and barely supported by Oracle (it's a relic from Sun Microsystems).

So how do people get around this? Do I need to download internet explorer just to install Java so I can run VASL? Really don't want to use IE.

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
To be clear, what do you think are the latest versions?

VASL presently is 6.5.0. VASSAL is 3.3.1. If you try to load VASL 6.5.0 in VASSAL 3.3.1 there is a message saying that VASL 6.5.0 isn't compatible with VASSAL 3.3.1. There isn't a release of VASL yet which is compatible with VASSAL 3.3. (A 3.3-comapatible version of VASL is nearly done, but not yet released.) So, you should be using VASSAL 3.2.17 with VASL for time being.

The best version of Java to use with VASSAL 3.2.17 is Java 8. (Nothing after Java 8 will work with VASSAL 3.2.17. VASSAL 3.3 has Java 14 bundled with it on Windows and Mac OS, so once you're using that, you won't need to mess with installing Java on its own from that point on.)

The browser applet is irrelevant. There is no connection between the browser applet and what you install when you install Java, and there hasn't been for maybe a decade. Go download Java 8 in whatever browser you feel like using.