Update to RUWEISAT RIDGE

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Critical Hit is advertising a new Ruweisat Ridge module: " EL ALAMEIN: THE BATTLE OF RUWEISAT RIDGE includes 592 bonus coloir-die cut counters, a brand new map, a Platoon Leader 3.0 campaign game and a set of scenarios that all play on the historical map."

Anyone have any inside info on what has been updated, besides the map and counters? New playtesting? Updated scenarios?

This module has/had a good reputation, even a semi-mythical reputation, among old-timers.

Is that because it was a) really good? b) the only DTO CG out there (still true I think...) c) the haze of time playing tricks on your minds?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
the map was made with crayons........
That has just got to be one of the most idiotic post I have seen here on GS. CH rocks when it comes to HASL and HASL maps and over the last 2 years the new counters are just about on par with BFP.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
That has just got to be one of the most idiotic post I have seen here on GS. CH rocks when it comes to HASL and HASL maps and over the last 2 years the new counters are just about on par with BFP.
The original RR map was a print of a play test map and indeed looked like a crayon or coloured pencil job. The initial series CH maps were quite serviceable but nothing to get excited about, but the RR map was, for the wrong reasons. But that was 1998. I would presume the pending version will have a better map.

Check out the original version on the DM site http://www.desperationmorale.com/worldofasl/worldcrithit1.html#historical.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Oh, thanks Paul, it sounded as if the references was to the new re-release of RR which has not come out yet. Sorry Loquitor for mis-understanding your post.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the reference was to the new re-release, but I had the impression that, although the original map was widely and justly disparaged, the original RW scenarios/CG were well liked.

That's what I'm asking - were they really good, or was/is it just nostalgia?

Cause I'd be tempted to buy the update if the scenarios/CG were good (and of course the map updated).

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the reference was to the new re-release, but I had the impression that, although the original map was widely and justly disparaged, the original RW scenarios/CG were well liked.

That's what I'm asking - were they really good, or was/is it just nostalgia?
Frankly, compared to what? There is still so little competition out there in the Desert HASL area, there's really not much of a yardstick to compare them to. Arguably, even an average offering is still pretty good at that rate.

I do have to say, though, I hope CH treats this one with respect. The awful map was the biggest reason I didn't buy this the first time around. A reprint is not necessarily improved by slapping new names on all the scenarios and fiddling with the OBs, unless the changes are for clear-cut balance issues.

John

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

I actually liked the the original map Dan drew up. It looked like desert terrain. Some great scenarios in that module too, Rommel at the Gates is seriously good fun.

Scott

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The original maps was absolutely the worst ever map produced for a pack it did indeed lok like a playtest map coloured in using crayons or coloured pencil! I know the new map is way better for v2! So the statement you replied to was VERY accurate ( it should of said coloured in with crayons tho!)

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm interested in this - will it contain PL 3.0 rules too, or are those a separate purchase?

Dave

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Separate purchase, anyway 3.0 are not so different from 2.5 (mainly righted wording issues), you can play with 2.5

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Anyone asked Phlegm if he knows what's going with the second edition changes?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Anyone asked Phlegm if he knows what's going with the second edition changes?
A significant hike in price, for starters. I have the original (still unplayed) so I won't be upgrading. Too much stuff remains unplayed these days, sadly.

Cheers

Paul

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Had to edit post as others pointed out what I did about the crayon map.

For what its worth I agree with you on the new CH maps and counters. Great stuff.

But the new prices of CH stuff will pretty much close the book on CH products for me unless they have a CG, which of course this one does.

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
PS: This is one of the few older CH products I wish I could get. Alas, it always seems to go over my price ceiling when I see it on E-bay.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But the new prices of CH stuff will pretty much close the book on CH products for me unless they have a CG, which of course this one does.
But apparently it has no rules for the included CG. Unless you buy another over-priced product to give you the rules you need to play this over-priced product.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Platoon Leader 2.5 rules were available for download. Are they not still around? If not, cold you use the "way back" machine to find them?

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Platoon Leader 2.5 rules were available for download. Are they not still around? If not, cold you use the "way back" machine to find them?
I don't think that Platoon Leader rules have been available for download from the CH site for ages. I remember trying to DL them a couple of years ago and the link was broken even then.

I suppose you could jump through hoops like using the "way back" machine or trying to score a copy from somebody if you want to.

But if you just want to buy El Alamein and try the included CG you have to pay a mind-numbing FIFTY bucks additional just to get the rules.