Update on Work on New Napoleonic Title

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am working on another game for John Tiller Software in the Napoleonic Battles series - this game will be a companion title to Campaign Marengo covering the battles in France, the Austrian Netherlands, Switzterland, Bavaria, Holland and the Rhineland. Battles such as Valmy, Bergen, Fleurus, 1st and 2nd Zurich, Hohenlinden, Neerwinden, Jemappes, Neresheim and Kaiserlautern will be inclued. The usual campaigns will be included as well. I just finished work on the 1796 Rhine campaign where Jourdan and Moreau were defeated on separate fronts by an energetic Archduke Charles and two Austrian armies. Another campaign I finished covers the early battles of the War of the First Coalition (basically from Valmy to Fleurus).

While Campaign Marengo had a little over 70 artwork images this new title has over 230! Not only are the early French army uniforms represented but many of the National Guard units are as well. The French and Austrian hussars have unique images for each regiment. There are British, Dutch Republic, Batavian Republic, Bavarian, Saxon, Prussian, Austrian, French, Swiss, Polish, Hanoverian, Hesse-Kassel, Hesse-Darmstadt and French Emigre' units included. Add in a the French balloons as well (portrayed in the game as ships ... they were present at Fleurus for the first time in military use).

I have built over 18 battles at this point. Lack of data on some of the battles such as both Battle of Biberach (1796 and 1800) and some of the other minor battles has caused me to possibly leave those out. I have built maps for the battlefields for several of these type battles. Wetzlar 1796, Limburg 1796 and others are on my list of battles to build. I just need more solid OB info to feel safe about putting up a battle scenario.

The status on the game: its very mature. I am hoping to have it out before Winter 2017. Any historical help would be appreciated. In fact if you think you could help me finish some of these battles I would be happy to give you a free copy of the game when its finished. I need folks that can read German, French or other languages to help me compile OB files. If you think you have the time please contact me via the forum!

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Working on finishing up the Battle of Ostrach, March 1799. Jourdan and the French army almost overwhelmed by the more numerous Austrian forces. 1st Stockach followed (already playtested and ready to go). Hoping to do Biberach 1800 this week. Have to revamp the Memmingen map from the Austerlitz game at some point.

By the time I am done with this title I will have mapped a lot of the Danube river ... from near its source to down past Vienna ... all covered in four games in the series.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Brilliant news! I never imagined that these would ever be done. Valmy...wow.

I speak good French, so I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

(Any chance of Castricum being included?)

Sgt_Rock

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Latest update - all I need to do now is review the PDT files, wait on artwork, build the Getting Started PDF file and put the website product page together. We are still playtesting scenarios and I am updating them based on results or my own personal review.

I finished up with the "Armies" pictorial PDF this week which showcases the artwork that Joe and Mark did for the game. I also am pretty much finished up with the scenario list. Added in 15 minute turn versions of the really long battle scenarios.

Very much moving along well. Definitely out before Thanksgiving unless some unforeseen issue comes up.

There are a lot of Bonus items in this game as well as a lot of different unit types. Probably the most interesting title I have worked on by far. So many units I had never heard before I started work on this one. Especially the Austrian Freikorps, French National Guard and Emigre units of the Royalist armies.

There are 27 battles in the game. Everything from Valmy to Hohenlinden. I left out some battles/actions because they were so lopsided. The Battle of Tourcoing was the most difficult to research.