Update on Manila?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How big is your table? ;-)
Larger than a third world country hopefully, because that map looked big. Hopefully it will be put out KGP Style. Not all the maps at once. Start with the part furthest along and move from there. Just a thought.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Interestingly, the walled city was surrounded by water during the Spanish occupation. According to WikiTravel, "A few years after the Americans took over from the Spanish in 1898, the fetid, swamp-like moat around Intramuros was drained and filled in. The newly reclaimed land was later covered with grass, spiced with a few sand pits and sprinkled with water traps. Result: an 18 hole, par 66, 4,326-yard greensward that wraps around the city's ancient walls and makes for an interesting (if rather short) golfing experience." I'm sure those Americans crossing that expanse of Open Ground in 1945 had a somewhat different experience.
So this HASL is going to have SSRs for golf?

JR

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Many years ago, I started to draw a map about Central Manila (South of the Pasig river) using a very usefull source : the "Terrain Handbook 41A - Manila City" edited in December 1944 by the Allied Geographical Section (SW Pacific Area). It details more than 300 major buildings in Greater Manila and all the bridges in this area. It also gives information about the width of all the major Streets/avenues and provides many pictures of the city.

IMO, this module will be a blast, with several dense urban terrain areas separated by large open fields and featuring some really beautiful buildings (the Metropolitan Theater for example), Japanese soldiers in fortified buildings and US big guns firing at short range in direct fire.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
IMO, this module will be a blast, with several dense urban terrain areas separated by large open fields and featuring some really beautiful buildings (the Metropolitan Theater for example), Japanese soldiers in fortified buildings and US big guns firing at short range in direct fire.
And rules for golf.

JR

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many years ago, I started to draw a map about Central Manila (South of the Pasig river) using a very usefull source : the "Terrain Handbook 41A - Manila City" edited in December 1944 by the Allied Geographical Section (SW Pacific Area). It details more than 300 major buildings in Greater Manila and all the bridges in this area. It also gives information about the width of all the major Streets/avenues and provides many pictures of the city.

I have the same Terrain Guide which I used extensively in laying out the initial maps. It not only lists all the key buildings etc, it also list what materials the buildings were made of, how tall they were, and it even has a list of all the street names of Manila with the Japanese street names included. A wealth of info, even if it did cost one of my benefactors $100 to by it on ebay years ago. IIRC there are only about six or so of these known to be in existence still.....there may be a few tucked away in some veterans' lockers in their attics. Still, a real treasure trove.
Several opportunities in this one to fire 155 Long Toms at Japanese strong points. One in particular....trying to blast an entry into the outer walls of Itramuros. In the real battle it took more than 30 shots at poit blank range to finally open a hole large enough to infantry to assault through. Goig through the gates would have been suicide. Mined, wired, pre-registered for arty and machine guns.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How far along the process is this module? Been hearing about it for a while, but nothing "official".

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How far along the process is this module? Been hearing about it for a while, but nothing "official".
Not sure if you would consider the designer as "official", but if you have any questions you may ask Chas Argent at MMP
I gave final approval for the digital map about a month ago which will be used to make the final print run map. About two weeks ago I gave the thumbs up on the VASL map. Perry and I still have a LOT of work to due to work out all the little issues with rules wording etc. Fine tuning and making sure everything is in ASL-speak. That process has not begun, and most likely won't until sometime 2018. Scenarios have been though extensive PTing, but Chas will coordinate some VASL PTing to verify our previous results. All five CG's have been done and I was pleased with the results. CG rules are set. The only thing that MMP has committed to is to have this ready for pre-sell by December 31 2020 at the latest....Perry said they would try for 2018 (but that won't happen), 2019 is very possible and what I am hoping for, but most likely sometime mid 2020 for pre-sell. Hope that helps.

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if you would consider the designer as "official", but if you have any questions you may ask Chas Argent at MMP
I gave final approval for the digital map about a month ago which will be used to make the final print run map. About two weeks ago I gave the thumbs up on the VASL map. Perry and I still have a LOT of work to due to work out all the little issues with rules wording etc. Fine tuning and making sure everything is in ASL-speak. That process has not begun, and most likely won't until sometime 2018. Scenarios have been though extensive PTing, but Chas will coordinate some VASL PTing to verify our previous results. All five CG's have been done and I was pleased with the results. CG rules are set. The only thing that MMP has committed to is to have this ready for pre-sell by December 31 2020 at the latest....Perry said they would try for 2018 (but that won't happen), 2019 is very possible and what I am hoping for, but most likely sometime mid 2020 for pre-sell. Hope that helps.
Hope I'm still alive when it goes to the printers !!!!! :)

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the well informed news.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2020 huh? .. my car will be paid in full .. what a great way to celebrate! .. whoo hoo!! .. Merry Christmas to all!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IIRC there are only about six or so of these known to be in existence still.....there may be a few tucked away in some veterans' lockers in their attics. Still, a real treasure trove.
There are six alone at libraries in the USA (discounting NARA which I did not check, nor the BL) ...

http://www.worldcat.org/title/manila-city-central-luzon-terrain-handbook-41a/oclc/3930976

You might also try MilSpecManuals.com I have acquired similar terrain study maps there, for a reasonable price.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are six alone at libraries in the USA (discounting NARA which I did not check, nor the BL) ...

http://www.worldcat.org/title/manila-city-central-luzon-terrain-handbook-41a/oclc/3930976

You might also try MilSpecManuals.com I have acquired similar terrain study maps there, for a reasonable price.
Great to know Andy. At the time I got my copy back in 1999 I was only able to verify six known copies....mine, one in General Kruger's library, and four in US libraries. If more have indeed been catalogued, that is great news! I assume National Archives has a copy....maybe Ft Leavenworth as well. Needless to say, there are very few left that are usable. Even mine shows wear on the front and back cover.....probably got a lot of use in 1945 Manila.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You never know with NARA or even Service Arm libraries...I am having a heck of a time tracking down a very famous similar type map for a WWII battle of note.

In anywise I recommend the MilSpecManuals place...

Best Wishes for your project.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IT would be nice to have a rather large HASL module in the Pacific theater like Festung Budapest. Even though I favor European theater, I would get this in a heartbeat.