Upcoming Trip to Europe

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
The wife and I are going to Europe this Spring. We are going from futbol game to futbol game. Starting in Munich, ending in London. Along the way we will be taking in games in Italy, France, and Spain (including the Barca - Real Madrid in Madrid). :) We will also spend a lot of time in and out of museums and such. I am looking forward to it. -- jim
Wasting your time mate....Europe according to some of our friends on Politics and Religion....

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Wasting your time mate....Europe according to some of our friends on Politics and Religion....
I have lived in Europe for 10 years. I know better. If I were independently wealthy, I would move to Bavaria tomorrow. ;) -- jim

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The wife and I are going to Europe this Spring. We are going from futbol game to futbol game. Starting in Munich, ending in London. Along the way we will be taking in games in Italy, France, and Spain (including the Barca - Real Madrid in Madrid). :) We will also spend a lot of time in and out of museums and such. I am looking forward to it. -- jim
That sounds like a great trip.....

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

But didn't Tolkien shape the Shire in the Lord of the Rings after the model of some region in the UK? Which ain't Europe at least accoring to most locals? So he should be safe for at least for another week or two. :D

von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
But didn't Tolkien shape the Shire in the Lord of the Rings after the model of some region in the UK? Which ain't Europe at least accoring to most locals? So he should be safe for at least for another week or two. :D

von Marwitz
Indeed. Yorkshire. Not UK though, that's a common mistake... PRY (People's Republic of Yorkshire)

Where you can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much (an old Lancastrian proverb).

Also, where the men are dangerous, the women more dangerous, and the sheep don't sleep too well.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
You people(s) from the isle are very difficult to fathom bytimes... :D
But I like the proverb.

von Marwitz
We Lancastrians and Yorkshire folk have good sport with each other but ultimately we get on quite well. I have lots of friends over there in bands and we play gigs over there very frequently.

And Yorkshire is truly one of the most stunning counties to travel around. It's beautiful.

Lancashire and Yorkshire folk are known for their straight talking both to each others and to outsiders. Also know for their friendliness. And good ale.

With now having a motor home, I am hoping to be able to persuade a couple of my fellow tournament war gaming friends to attend Grenadier next year or within the next two-three years at least and tie in with a few days around the Bastogne and 'Bulge' area.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
With now having a motor home, I am hoping to be able to persuade a couple of my fellow tournament war gaming friends to attend Grenadier next year or within the next two-three years at least and tie in with a few days around the Bastogne and 'Bulge' area.
That would be great. We could after all these years have a FtF game, then. BTW, at long last and FINALLY, you'll get the looooooooong promised setup for our next VASL game. Took out your file just yesterday.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
That would be great. We could after all these years have a FtF game, then. BTW, at long last and FINALLY, you'll get the looooooooong promised setup for our next VASL game. Took out your file just yesterday.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Yeah....been a while mate.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
From July 8 to July 29, I will be on holiday with my wife and my youngest child (18 y. o.), at Tilly-sur-Seules, between Caen and Bayeux.
Of course it will be an excellent occasion to visit the different sites and museums pertaining to D-Day and the Normandy campaign.
But we certainly won't only do that.

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was fortunate to get to the Netherlands for work a few years ago, one snowy December. The military highlights were the museums at Oosterbeek and Groesbeek (and the drive in between, including a stop at the church in Elst). Cultural highlights were the Domtoren in Utrecht (where I was staying) and the Anne Frank Museum. The train museum in Utrecht is really nice, too.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland

It rather looks like the Politics and Religion cesspit from my European point of view.

echack

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But didn't Tolkien shape the Shire in the Lord of the Rings after the model of some region in the UK?

IIRC, the Shire was supposed to be at the same latitude of Oxford.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Vienna Military Museum was a very pleasant surprise to me last summer.

It is an easy walk down Arsenalstrasse from the central train station.

The WWI and Austro-Hungarian empire coverages were the best I have seen (with apologies to the wonderful museum on the latter in Budapest near the castle) and fascinating.

The WWII stuff was not up to either the London Imperial Museum or the Paris War Museum where Napolean's body is entombed, which is understandable as both Germany and Austria must cover WWII in muted tones.

I thoroughly enjoyed Bovington tank museum, but you will not be in London. Also off topic, I spent one entire day at the Louve, but only 6 hours at the Normandy sights, YMMV.

Still have the Brussels museum on my list.

Rich

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
From July 8 to July 29, I will be on holiday with my wife and my youngest child (18 y. o.), at Tilly-sur-Seules, between Caen and Bayeux.
Of course it will be an excellent occasion to visit the different sites and museums pertaining to D-Day and the Normandy campaign.
But we certainly won't only do that.
In early June Tilly hosts a military book fair which is quite good - new books with authors and some second hand dealers too. I met Ian Daglish and Georges Bernage there in different years. Highly recommended for anyone if you are there are the right time.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm going to be on a trip with friends to Europe this fall. We will be in Prague, Vienna, Venice, and Florence. Any good military museums or battlefields I ought to visit? (I was completely bummed out to miss the Imperial War Museum in London when I was there a couple of years ago - it was closed for renovations for the centenary of WWI.)
My wife and I did a group tour to Theresienstadt from Prague a few years ago - very interesting.

Warning though - the Czechs will tell you at every opportunity that they were the ones who killed Heydrich.

The military museum in Vienna is quite good (but the tanks were closed off for some reason when we visited a couple of years ago).

European museums seem to have adopted a "pay to take photos" policy. Normally photography is banned but if you pay a few Euros they give you a sticker to put on your shirt or jacket (I think) and you can take as many as you like.

tunixx

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
(....)

European museums seem to have adopted a "pay to take photos" policy. Normally photography is banned but if you pay a few Euros they give you a sticker to put on your shirt or jacket (I think) and you can take as many as you like.
Usually you only pay if you are a professional photographer and use a tripod and flash. Of course every museum may have its own policy.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My wife and I did a group tour to Theresienstadt from Prague a few years ago - very interesting.

Warning though - the Czechs will tell you at every opportunity that they were the ones who killed Heydrich.

The military museum in Vienna is quite good (but the tanks were closed off for some reason when we visited a couple of years ago).

They blew him up real good.
If you do go to a beautiful old battlefield it could be like that scene from the movie 'Patton'. You know, the one where he's driving around in North Africa and has some sort of past life flashback. Listen for faint trumpet sounds, ya never know.

Last edited: