Up Slope Hedge And Down Slope

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Situation is Pegasus Bridge. Unit in Z16 is upsplope to unit moving into BB16 during movement phase. Three questions arise on the ensuing first fire shot from BB16 to Z16.

1) Does LOS exist?
The AA16-17 hexspine is on a slope hexside. My read of the rules is that since neither the firing nor target unit is in either AA16 or AA17, that slope hexside is irrelevant.

2) Can the 447 moving into BB16 claim WA at the moment it moves into the hex? The related question asks whether the 648 in deny WA by claiming it (assume no danger in the act as not other units have LOS to its location)?

3) If the slope hexside in AA16-17 does matter for LOS purposes, does it deprive the 447 of the benefits of the hedge because it is at a different elevation than the BB16 location?

Thanks for the help and the insight!

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry said:
1) Does LOS exist?
Yes.

Larry said:
2) Can the 447 moving into BB16 claim WA at the moment it moves into the hex? The related question asks whether the 648 in deny WA by claiming it (assume no danger in the act as not other units have LOS to its location)?
Yes; in fact, it must. No, the 648 cannot deny WA to the 447 from two hexes away. In fact, it could not deny Wall Advantage if the 447 were entering AA17 as it is not marked with WA to begin with.

Larry said:
3) If the slope hexside in AA16-17 does matter for LOS purposes, does it deprive the 447 of the benefits of the hedge because it is at a different elevation than the BB16 location?
No. Not even if Z16 were at a level 1 height would the 447 be unable to receive hedge TEM, although if the hedge were a hillside hedge then the 447 could not claim hedge TEM.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
What if any role does the hedge play then? The slope places the shooter 3/4 of an elevation above the target hex. There is an intervening hexside, which is also upslope and which has a hedge. The target and shooter are otherwise at the same level. The hedge is a 1/2 hight level obstacle to LOS. There is a net 1.25 level obstacle between the target and the shooter. Why is this not a plateua effect? I know this question is rhetorical, but if the slope has no bearing on play then why put them in?

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It has no bearing on play for this example. It affects movement across the hexside. It would also allow a unit in Z16 to see over the wall in aa18/Z17, directly down the AA17/Z17 hexspine, to further units, perhaps across the canal.

Another example, say LOS from AA16 to CC14. Normally this would not exist, but with the slope on the AA16/BB15 hexside, it does exist.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Slopes don't actually change the base level of the hex, they only grant you a 3/4 level of elevation for LOS purposes.

I think for this particular section of the map, there isn't going to be much game effect. But units on the left of that slope may have better LOS to other moving units where there are interveneing walls/hedges.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
as a quick aside....

I hate slopes.....

:smoke:

Peace

Rog

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
They seem to add nothing to the game but complexity. :hmmm: I think I would rather the IIFT (no offense Tater ;) ) than ever play with slopes again :argh: :drink: .