llNetherlands

US Helicopter lifting ammunition containers
Photo: US Navy​

UnRep times:

To calculate a [rough] unrep you need to know factors:

By UnRep operations at sea you got 2 possible transporting options:

1: by cables between the ships
2: helicopter shuttles

What I know about transportation by cable is that the sea must be relative calm; the ships rolling during this operation due to the displacement and speed of the ships so close to each other [about 10-20 meters].

US Support vessel alongside with an aircraft carrier, see the turbulence between the ships

The transport between the ships by cable line is relative slow. Electro engines or people running the cables. So it takes at least minutes to bridge the distance between the ships, but you must also calculate time to click on/off the payload from the cable line and make room for the next load. There is of course a maximum weight that can be handled per single shuttle. And do not forget the safety/safety protocols…… You cannot say “Oeps” when a container splashed into the water.

The navy uses helicopters to transfer ammunition from the support vessels to the receiving ships.

Transferring these crates and containers by helicopters goes much faster, but, just as transferring by cable, there are limitations as well:

A helicopter can carry limited weight
They transfer 1 or 2 items at the time, I have a collection of photographs showing UnRep operations; on all pics you see the helicopter carrying 1 item sometimes 2.
The smaller the receiving ship, the longer it takes, due to limited space [helicopter deck].
The metrological circumstances: UnRep a vessel in stormy weather takes much more time than when it is a calm day.

This is my 1 cent contribution for now. I personally doubt that the transferring time per item is 15 seconds.

Frans.

Last edited:

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A superb topic of discussion. Once they fix this bug in ANW, it's going to be very pertinent to scenarios.

It seems as though you are trying to discuss both VertRep [with helos] and UnRep [Underway replenishment between ships] at the same time.

With regards to the PlayersDB, the VertRep poses some problems. These problems are also present in its progenitor, the HUD-II. By creating a loadout for helos i.e. allowing helos to carry ## Harpoons for transfer from the ammunition ship [AE] to the CVN, you inadvertently transform the helo into an attack platform because it can now be used to launch all those Harpoons at the same time. This has always been one of the big problems for trying to simulate VertRep. There might be a way around it, but none of them appear to be easy to implement.

The UnRep process via cables sounds like it is able to transfer a far greater volume of stores in a single operation since they are all pre-assembled on pallets. Now, the question are:

How long does a normal UnRep evolution take?
How much gets transferred in that time?

I knew of one man who served on AOE HMCS Protecteur. I hope that I can contact him for some help on this topic.

Very good points have been raised.

The weather is a particularly good point, but I don't think we can do anything about it in Harpoon since the game allows every boat and plane to fly even into hurricanes. :(

Guus Flater

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
The weather is a particularly good point, but I don't think we can do anything about it in Harpoon since the game allows every boat and plane to fly even into hurricanes. :(
Another fine picture that illustrates the conditions during UnRep Operations:smoke:

Cheers,
Guus Flater:D