Unit of Action Brigades

DrMoloch

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greetings:

I've just joined this forum, and I'd like to start out by saying that it's nice to be here, and I look forward to the discussion. And I have a question for the group.

Has anyone given any thought to scenario design involving the Army's new Unit of Action Brigades? These brigades have two maneuver battalions, a cavalry battalion, an FA battalion, a support battalion, and a special troops battalion containg MPs, signals, and engineers. How to translate this to DA terms?

As I understand it, this cavalry battalion hasn't got a lot of actual combat power, and they now have cavalry battalions (Or squadrons, if you prefer) in the light infantry, airborne, and air assault brigades now. It seems that the light cavalry battalions listed in the DA scenario editor would be more appropriate than the armored cavalry battalions. How to handle the special troops battalions? They seem to have three companies designated A, B, and C, but I don't know the exact TO&E of these units. An MP company, and engineer company, and an EW compnay perhaps? Or is the signals element of thse battalions strictly for communications? Is it necessary in scenario design to include the MPs? Any thoughts?

Dr M

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Is it necessary in scenario design to include the MPs? Any thoughts?
Dr M
Hi, nice to "meet" you.

MP can be used as eyes on the field. Or can be useful to provide security in a key point in the rear. However, a circular footprint probably isn't the ideal solution for this type of troop. I'd add them only if their mission has an impact on the overall operations. An example would be to ward off tiny/weakened Fedayeen units movement in the "Calling Saddam's hand" scenario. I'm not sure that real life MP would be used this way, though...

As for the cav squadrons, you can always tone down a RCP value for a cavalry unit to balance its actual combat effectiveness.

my 2 pence!

Christian

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
You can also put these units "inside" the brigade, that way they can be detached if need be. Otherwise they are just along for the ride and part of the brigade's total combat power.