Union AAR for scenario 74 "No half measures"

Vangse

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 27:
Retreat!!!!!

Turn 28:
It is 11.00PM and darkness has been upon us for a couple of hours. Most of 1st Corps has managed to escape during the early hours off darkness. It looks as though the rebels have halted their advance. But make no mistake, the rebels are still out, and it will be a busy night for the commanders of 1st Corps as they will have to reorganize and have their men ready for tomorrows fight.

South of Emmitsburg Birney’s division is skirmishing with advancing rebel infantry. So far he is clearly outnumbered and is suffering most of the casualties. Davis’s men have moved west along the bank of Tom’s Creek and are now harassing Perrin’s men west of town. The lead column of 12th Corps will start to cross Tom’s Creek on the next turn.

Vangse

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 29:
The fight around Emmitsburg picked up as Scales’ brigade joined Archer in his attack. But again he suffered heavy casualties compared to me. One rebel regiment took a hit of 108 casualties out of its 4xx strength. Humphreys’s division that was placed further east is moving up in support just in case. Davis continued to harass Perrin’s brigade west of town. Unless he has something in store for me I think he will regret this attack.

Most of 1st Corps has made it to safety (I hope); only a regiment from Stone’s brigade is doomed. But most of the men are suffering from high fatigue or are still routed, so there is still work to do and only 4 hours until dawn.

Vangse

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 30 & 31:
Situation pretty much unchanged.

Turn 32.
It is 04:00AM; dawn has broken. South of Taneytown the 1st Corps managed to escape during the hours of darkness. As the men prepare themselves for today’s battle you can feel and see the tension and anxiety on their faces. They know that the rebels are out there and that they might not survive another day of cruel fighting. Howard still has not arrived; hopefully he will soon.

South of Emmitsburg dawn broke with an unpleasant surprise. As expected the rebels had formed a line south of town, but they are certainly stronger than expected. The fighting picked up immediately as Birney’s division fired several volleys at the rebels’ positions. With the amount of men and artillery facing each other this will be a bloody fight.

Vangse

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 23:
The fight is on. At Emmitsburg the rebels looks determined to hold their ground, as they fiercely returned fire. 4 regiments routed on my left flank. 12th Corps has joined the attack as Geary ordered his men to attack what appears to be his left flank. Williams’s division is taking up positions just behind Geary’s men ready to counter a rebel counter attack.

Forward men!!!!!. Once the rebels advanced on 1st corps they seemed uncoordinated and few in numbers. Faced by this Reynolds promptly ordered his men to fix bayonets and engage at point blank range. As 1st Corps advanced and smashed into the surprised rebels panic spread within their ranks and their line were easily broken.

Vangse

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 34:
Unfortunately his reinforcements were not far behind and as they advanced 1st Corps is again forced to retreat under heavy pressure. I had 4 units routing. Rebel cavalry managed to sneak around my right flank and capture Robinson; brigadier general Paul was promoted and has taken his place. Howard once again did not show up. My biggest worry is that Meade is caught along with the 1st Corps.

Geary’s men continued his attack on the rebel left flank and have successfully turned it. Williams’s men were slowed down by some rebel cavalry appearing from the woods behind them. I will move them out of the way before I advance Williams’s division further.

Along the rest of the front at Emmitsburg we continue to pound away at each other. None of us is willing to charge at the other, so we have to see who last longest.

Vangse

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 35:
It is now full daylight and the fighting rages on unabated. Geary’s division continued its advance and smashed his weak left flank. Along the rest of the line the exchange of fire continued. But I am gaining the upper hand.
Davis’s brigade has managed to trap 400+ routed rebel infantry along with brigadier general G. Anderson and I should be able to capture them on my next turn.

Howard did not arrive again. Unless he arrives real soon I fear that the 1st corps will be completely destroyed. Again he meleed me in an attempt to break my lines but I managed to repulse him. 1st Corps is again today giving an incredible account of themselves.

Vangse

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 36 and 37:
Situation on the battlefield has not changed much since turn 35. 1st Corps is, well....., it's doomed. I have include a screen dump of the fighting around Emmitsburg, Overview and Victory screen.

Vangse

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 40:
Forgot to do the turns in between. Not much have changed anyway.

Howard still has not arrived. He is now more than 12 hours late. For 1st Corps it is over, there is nothing I can do to save what is left of my men. Meade is caught together with them, what a disaster!!!!!!!.

I actually think that I have done okay here. Even though I was heavily outnumbered I managed to fight him off until darkness. In spite of his continuous attacks my line held firm and he was not able to turn my flanks. Once under cover of darkness I successfully broke off contact and rallied and reorganized my men. Unfortunately for me I am on the edge of the map with nowhere to retreat to.

At Emmitsburg the situation is the complete reverse, except that he has plenty of places to retreat to. Sickles and Slocum’s attack has broken his line and his men are routing of the field. It is now only a question of how many men he will manage to get to safety. Unfortunately my cavalry is in no condition to cut off his route of retreat.