unfAIR support

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I read E7.2 & E7.4 correctly, the side with the second player turn in a scenario cannot use his planes before turn 3, and potentially doesn't get as many turns of use as the side moving first would of their planes assuming both side's planes arrive the same GAME turn. Has anyone else noticed this? Why are planes only allowed to attack during the owner's DFPh? This problem would be resolved if air support could be used in PFPh as well. Has "Perry Says" ever touched on this subject?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
pzkfw5g said:
If I read E7.2 & E7.4 correctly, the side with the second player turn in a scenario cannot use his planes before turn 3, and potentially doesn't get as many turns of use as the side moving first would of their planes assuming both side's planes arrive the same GAME turn. Has anyone else noticed this? Why are planes only allowed to attack during the owner's DFPh? This problem would be resolved if air support could be used in PFPh as well. Has "Perry Says" ever touched on this subject?
No call for a Perry Sez really. The rule is pretty clear.

As to why can't they attack in PrepFire?

Why can passengers unload during Advance Phase?

Thats just the way it is. Live with it... :D

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
It's a design issue. I guess the air support would be too powerful if able to attack during the PFPh as well. And for the unfairness bit: Every scenario designer and playtester involved in scenarios with air support should be aware of this and make the scenario fair with the current rules.

byouse

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I once asked Mac why planes couldn't attack in the prep fire phase (Stukas would work -so- well with this little modification) and he said...

The infantry/plane aspect would be too coordinated in that event, which just isn't how it was.

I argued long and hard but was closer to "gully fighting" than getting planes to be able to attack in prep fire.

Brian

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think Mac made the right call on this one. Being able to use a Stuka for prep fire is akin to a soldier in the field having total control of the airplanes target. Airforce FO's (American and British) came along late in the war and even then didnt have pinpoint control.

IMHO planes should be even more restricted than they are. They should have a pre reg hex designated before start of play and then randomly attack any unit(s) closest to that hex, much like a SAN attack or be able to freely chose any moving/just moved/motion open-ground located vehicle onboard.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
... and I believe they should go away after one or two turns.
Roving planes paralyse movement, and I don't believe fighters were used to fly in one mile diameter circles long.
Quite often, SSRs stipulate that airplanes must go away quite auickly after having attacked.

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but if both sides have Air Support, don't forget: your planes can declare CC (dogfight) at the end of their turn. Meaning, at least they can do something useful -- if only to the enemy's planes.

Oliver

pzkfw5g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oliver said:
I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but if both sides have Air Support, don't forget: your planes can declare CC (dogfight) at the end of their turn. Meaning, at least they can do something useful -- if only to the enemy's planes.
As it turned out, that was moot as my one FB was shot down my a HMG before my opponet's two FB's had a chance to CC mine. :x