Unexpected behavior using Ctrl NPad to move

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I use the Ctrl (numpad) keys to move, if I move through a hex containing other counters, it picks those up and moves them with the stack I'm moving. Any fix for this or is this known behavior? A search turned up nothing relevant.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
In file > preferences, you probably have 'moving stacks pick up unmoving pieces' checked on. You can click it off

but if that's not it, i have no idea

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No i do not. It's checked off.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
then don't use num pad is easiest solution obviously but why use that anyway? mouse is easier than messing with that. Right now I am having a loading problem with board 71 updating over and over several times -- let me know if you have a solution to that -- :)

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do use something is not a solution to a problem. ;)

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
lol true -- but it sounds like a bug. I saw some other posts recently that the latest version of java is causing unexpected glitches with VASL. It may be possible to roll back java version... I haven't looked into it.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Whether this is intentional design or not it is how it has been designed in Vasl. The prototype for unit, for each number pad movement direction, has the "Move entire stack" trait checked. So Vasl is working as designed, but whether that is intentional or not I do not know.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Whether this is intentional design or not it is how it has been designed in Vasl. The prototype for unit, for each number pad movement direction, has the "Move entire stack" trait checked. So Vasl is working as designed, but whether that is intentional or not I do not know.
so basically, even making sure to turn off 'moving stacks should pick up non-moving pieces;' this still doesn't work for num pad moves, just mouse controlled moves.

So to fix this, one would have to look at every prototype, edit it, and un-check that box...

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There is only one prototype for "unit" which applies to all units - so the fix if desired appears quite simple, just change the six movement traits in the prototype "unit" by unchecking "Move entire stack". The question really is what is the desired behaviour.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
okay, that's amazingly informative! I hope the OP can figure out how to edit the prototype...

So another question, what do you (or does anyone) think is happening when the boards keep trying to update? For example, i createD an instance using board 3. put a flame counter on the board to have something to save. Saved the file. Opened it again, and the program keeps updating board three over and over (7 times). But it's already the updated board in teh first place, in fact downloaded when I re-setup VASL 6.3.3.

This is a recent problem starting last night. Experienced the error, so I purged VASSAL and VASL and reloaded everything. Problem is still there.

I'd love to turn off this board updater feature because it's absolutely unnecessary to update the board every time -- especially if this feature is going to be glitchy -- see below load file -- VASSAL version 3.2.17:

(I read that the latest update of java could be causing some glitches.)

LOAD FILE

VASL version 6.3.3
- Extension ArmouredPassenger_Tray v0.0 loaded
- Extension Berserk v1.0 loaded
- Extension BFP_v403 v4.03 loaded
- Extension ChapterD v1.0 loaded
- Extension chit-generator-2.0 v2.0 loaded
- Extension cloaking-display v0.0 loaded
- Extension festung-budapest-1.2 v1.2 - 8 May 2014 loaded
- Extension KGS vv1.1 loaded
- Extension Kreta v5.8.1 loaded
- Extension oba-flowchart v0.1 loaded
- Extension onslaught-to-orsha-6.0 v5.4 loaded
- Extension secret-dr-1.0 v1.0 loaded
- Extension sniper-finder v1.0 loaded
- Extension terrain-chart-1.2.1 v1.2.1 loaded
- Extension tray v0.0 loaded
- Loading test g.vsav ...
- Board 03 is out of date. Updating...
- Update succeeded
- Update succeeded
- Update succeeded
- Update succeeded
- Update succeeded
- Update succeeded
- Update succeeded
- Using board(s): 03(v6.3)
- Loaded test g.vsav

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I cannot help with the problem of the board updates, but I agree with you I feel the automatic board update is not an essential feature. With regard to the prototypes it is really not something individual Vasl users should be messing about with unless they know what they are doing (as they will be creating a different version of the Vasl module). The Vasl module maintenance team would need to address this if its considered a change that is needed. So original OP should be pressing for a change to Vasl to incorporate the required behaviour. I am merely pointing out that it seems to be a simple change.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
vasl.info thinks the current version of bd03 is "6.4" but then downloads a file that knows it is "6.3". Comic genius. Attached is what is currently downloaded but with the version marked as "6.4". Unzip the .zip and put the bd03 file where it belongs.

I don't know why vasl checks the board version number multiple times for saved games. That would seem to be a defect too.

JR

Attachments

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
They are getting ready to push some board updates and missed a step.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Let's stay on topic fellas. Is there any fix for my problem or is moving with the numpad a good idea that was not properly implemented and I should forget about using it under many circumstances?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
I suspect the thought was you could move a squad, and it's CX/SW/etc would go along with it w/o having to be individually selected as well. Having to designate what is moving up-front seems a better design to me.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
vasl.info thinks the current version of bd03 is "6.4" but then downloads a file that knows it is "6.3". Comic genius. Attached is what is currently downloaded but with the version marked as "6.4". Unzip the .zip and put the bd03 file where it belongs.

I don't know why vasl checks the board version number multiple times for saved games. That would seem to be a defect too.

JR
Thanks for the file, I'll give it a try. I was trying to figure out where this communication glitch was formulating. So you say it's vasl.info?

The problem is that it's not just bd03. I was experimenting with bd01 and 3 after I found out that bd71 was glitching in the same way. What I did find is that bd01 wasn't doing so, but bd03 was.

Unfortunately I do not see 'where' you found the information about vasl.info thinking the current version of bd03 is 6.4?? That's very useful!

What I see is that the website VASL board matrix labels bd03 as version 3.0 and, as you say, downloads as version 3.0. So, you must have eyes somewhere I am not seeing! I wish I knew where to look to find out what vasl.info 'thinks' the correct version is. Is it in the bd03 HTML code somewhere? Because this problem is not limited to bd03. At the very least something is going on with bd71 as well.

They are getting ready to push some board updates and missed a step.
okay. Well that's good news and I hope they get around to it soon. I did notice we had the same problem with some desert boards at the end of last year, until those got cleaned up, but it was weeks until it was fixed.

What would be better is to have this auto download feature as something that could be turned off in the preferences bar. I don't want to (and realistically don't know how to efficiently) crack the VASL coding to customize that for myself. However, nobody really needs to have their boards checked everytime they get on VASL. Especially as and if this problem continues to manifest down the road.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I suspect the thought was you could move a squad, and it's CX/SW/etc would go along with it w/o having to be individually selected as well. Having to designate what is moving up-front seems a better design to me.
Just to be clear, my issue is this:

I have a stack of 8-0, 5-4-8, LMG in T1. I click the stack so they're all selected. I hit Ctrl NumPad9 to move to U1. In U1 is another 5-4-8. I hit Ctrl NumPad 3 to move to V1. The moving stack now includes the original stack and the unit in U1 that was not part of the original stack. Thanks in case I wasn't clear.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Vasl.info is not involved in the auto-updating process, FYI. It's all in GitHub kinda spread around which is why these kinds of things crop up from time to time. A resolution is being crafted.