Understanding the CH Counters.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'll admit my ignorance what is TTP and TRBH?
TPP means Third Party Producer / Product, i.e. BFP, LFT, Schwerpunkt, CH and the like, which are not MMP / Avalon Hill.

TRBH - no idea. Most likely a shortname (like FKaC = For King and Country) for one of CH's products.

von Marwitz

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am old enough now to know what I like and to have the right to use whatever ASL toys I wish, regardless of source. If they appeal to me and add to my enjoyment, I use them.
Oh yeah, I will be selling off my old AH/MMP counters for those interested. See me at ASLOK.
These are cardboard toys. Nothing more, nothing less. Always have been, always shall be. I like them, so I have them and use them. I find them fun to use.
If you do not wish to allow me to use my counters, then I will gladly allow you the choice to play someone else. If you are that concerned about the source of my toys, then I probably do not want to spend six or so hours of my life sitting across from you.
I am now on a time budget. I am far too old to waste my time but more than willing to waste my money. I find it money well spent.
Just because you have a "right" to do something does not mean that you should be doing it. You have a right to buy stock in companies that profit off of slave or child labor, but many would look askance at your so doing.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ray Tapio has every right to run his company the way he wants too and he is no Wild Bill Wilder either. I also enjoy BFP and I purchase their stuff they put out also.
He is far closer to WBW than to MMP, BFP, etc.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is the issue using them? Is it that people object to the company or that they object to the counters themselves as far as quality or ease of use? That being said, if somebody refused to play with me because of the counters I was using, I would thank them for saving me the time of finding out what I would have inevitably found out about them over the course of the next three hours or so.
Many people object to the company. Some people object to the use of CH versions of real ASL counters (though they do not usually object to people using CH counters that are not in the ASL system or to people using CH versions of such counters as extra counters while playing a module or scenario that requires more of a particular type than are officially available). Some people object on both grounds. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TPP means Third Party Producer / Product, i.e. BFP, LFT, Schwerpunkt, CH and the like, which are not MMP / Avalon Hill.

TRBH - no idea. Most likely a shortname (like FKaC = For King and Country) for one of CH's products.

von Marwitz
Those Ragged Bloody Heroes, the original name of one of CH's products. Using acronyms for Critical Hit products is more or less pointless because he changes titles so often.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll admit my ignorance what is TTP and TRBH?
You should go to Mark's site and download the Chronology of War 2016 that I put together. It has quite a bit of useful information that you can use, along with Mark's site, when you are thinking of buying any ASL product. It has a section that explains many acronyms.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Just because you have a "right" to do something does not mean that you should be doing it. You have a right to buy stock in companies that profit off of slave or child labor, but many would look askance at your so doing."
We are talking about playing a game, right? This is about ASL, correct? I am talking about cardboard counters that I push around on cardboard maps.
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Politics?
Ethics?
I play a fun game called ASL. it is a hobby. It is not life. It is not MY WHOLE LIFE. It really is not important. It's just fun.
What ASL is to you must mean a lot more.
Slave or child labor? Pretty bizarre comparison to just playing a game where we push counters and roll dice.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those Ragged Bloody Heroes, the original name of one of CH's products. Using acronyms for Critical Hit products is more or less pointless because he changes titles so often.
something similar to changing WoA to FKaC perhaps? OR CoB and GH into RS perhaps?

I'd hazard a guess that CH isn't the only producer that changes the name when they reprint

KRL ,Jon H

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think herr pitmann is in full retard mode
Pitman might be in 'pitbull'-mode, but apparently you can't help not to miss out on going into 'terrier'-mode snapping for his his leg, no?

Instead of these dog-fights and 'Pavlov's dog' reflexes, why don't the two of you play a round of "Pavlov's Dogs" (FrF50)? Which hopefully is not a dog. The neighborhood might appreciate the barking to abate in favor of the silent gnawing of bones if it has to be. ;)

von Marwitz

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
CH obviously receives submissions from ASL designers. What is obvious now is that CH itself is not going to playtest or develop those submissions any further and so in a sense it is up to those original designers to make sure their product is as complete as possible before they submit it. CH is NOT responsible for creating all these new products - it is the work of other designers. So if you buy from CH you are essentially buying some ASL designers work which has not been modified by CH. I'm not going to start fussing that CH is the publisher - I'm more interested in buying the designs and ideas of other ASLers who have released their stuff. There is good stuff among all those releases.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CH obviously receives submissions from ASL designers. What is obvious now is that CH itself is not going to playtest or develop those submissions any further and so in a sense it is up to those original designers to make sure their product is as complete as possible before they submit it. CH is NOT responsible for creating all these new products - it is the work of other designers. So if you buy from CH you are essentially buying some ASL designers work which has not been modified by CH. I'm not going to start fussing that CH is the publisher - I'm more interested in buying the designs and ideas of other ASLers who have released their stuff. There is good stuff among all those releases.
this...

I do not regret Gembloux, Berlin I and II, Those Ragged Bloody Heroes, Tigers to the Front, Hell's Bridgehead, the DAK scenario sets, Pel White beach 1, Ruweisat Rdge, Armored Banzai, Dzerhinsky Tractor Works, Scotland the Brave I and II, Counterattacks I and II, Bandenkrieg. All-American series, the Leatherneck series, Baraque de Fraiture. Not one bit do I regret any of these purchases. I go what the designer submitted to CH. That is how RT rolls.

I do regret ever spending money on Grain Elevator oh so many years ago.

Seems like a pretty good track record to me. 32:1 in favor of getting more than I expected from my money, when one splits the proverbial hair.

Too much good stuff is out there because CH published it. Be a shame to see so many good products get kicked into the can and newbies never get exposed to good ASL stuff like my first list, just because a blatant "I hate CH" rant floats around the hobby from time to time. CH reprinting is why I managed to fill out my ASL News scenarios to finally have them all, as well. The reprints of the stuff in my first list offer newbies a chance to get stuff LONG out of print that is good ASL.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
oh boy, I hit a nerve with a herr pitmann fanboy lol

Pitman might be in 'pitbull'-mode, but apparently you can't help not to miss out on going into 'terrier'-mode snapping for his his leg, no?

Instead of these dog-fights and 'Pavlov's dog' reflexes, why don't the two of you play a round of "Pavlov's Dogs" (FrF50)? Which hopefully is not a dog. The neighborhood might appreciate the barking to abate in favor of the silent gnawing of bones if it has to be. ;)

von Marwitz

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
An unpunched (2011) copy of 'For King and Country' just sold on ebay for $330.00 U.S, with shipping $52.00 U.S. It had 33 bids... Amazon is selling 'Rising Sun' for $1,600.00 (Canadian) 3 copies available. I'm pretty sure CH will be selling quite a few of their new Nationality Sets.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An unpunched (2011) copy of 'For King and Country' just sold on ebay for $330.00 U.S, with shipping $52.00 U.S. It had 33 bids... Amazon is selling 'Rising Sun' for $1,600.00 (Canadian) 3 copies available. I'm pretty sure CH will be selling quite a few of their new Nationality Sets.
And you hit the nail on the head. However. one can occasionally get a pretty good deal on eBay. There was a copy of West of Alamein that just went for $75.00 (missed it by a dollar at the last minute.) I got both Gung Ho and Code of Bushido for about $50 bucks each around Christmas. In addition, I recently got Doomed Battalions for $152.00 (yes that is way too much but still justifiable) and Hollow Legions for just under a $100 (still too much but again justifiable). Conversely, Armies of Oblivion is always going to cost too much, usually way over $200, and Croix de Guerre is the same at way over $100 (recall CdG is a small module). One of the more interesting purchases was the countersheet with Hungarian AFVs from Festung Budapest for $15. Believe it or not that was the 2nd time I saw one for sale, I deliberated too long the first time a set appeared. Also I was able to buy a copy of Hakkaa Paalle (new) for $60. Recall also that purchasing used copies of games does not support MMP in any way so buying so I fail to see the problem with buying what is not available from someone else. Heck, it is likely I will buy the MMP modules when they are reprinted even though I purchased the new French Army Nationality Set.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What?! RS for CAN$ 1600 which is 1117 Euros? This is absolutely mental.

Considering that I have recently punched a RS, FKaC, AoO, HP, BV3 & Yanks2 just to "refresh" my counterset, I have foregone a fortune...

von Marwitz