Undefeated Season

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

The Calgary Stampeders not only had the first (and solitary) undefeated season in Canadian professional football history, they also invented the Grey Cup festival, about 30 years or so before the Super Bowl became the festival that it has evolved into. They brought sports celebrations to a whole new level.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Only undefeated season worth mentioning.
The Stampeders' victory is worth mentioning for the invention of the Grey Cup festival alone.

But the Dolphins' 1972 season does bear some scrutiny even beyond that.

• their regular season opponents had a winning percentage of .397. In short, they were losing teams. Only two opponents that year had a winning season, and they were both 8-6 at the end of the year
  • Some of the Dolphins' opponents were downright bad. The Colts were in a three year stretch where they won only 11 games. The Oilers had two consecutive 1-13 seasons. The chargers were starting a four year stretch as basement-dwellers of the AFC West. The Vikings had just lost Fran Tarkenton and missed the playoffs in 1972 for the only time in ten years.
They did get to the finals honestly and had to have some talent, but their opposition was undeniably soft during the year, which is also "worth mentioning."

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember the 72 Dolphins. Very disciplined. I can't remember the name of their coach, I think he has the best record in NFL history.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“He can take his’n and beat your’n or take your’n and beat his’n.” — Houston coach Bum Phillips on Don Shula’s talent.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it was 1901, Michigan went undefeated and out scored their opponents 550 - 0. Yes, that's 550 to zip, that's no typo.
yeah that was something isn't it. Granted they didn't play a murderer's row of a scedule, wasn't one of their opponents the Chicago School of male tap dancers.

even more impressive though than a single year ...from 1901 to 1905 the Michigan teams outscored their opponents by a combined score of 2,821 to 42