unarmed infantry and escapees

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I had a squad captured (don't ask!) But they subsequently escaped by killing their half squad guards in CCrearming as a conscript HS and an unarmed HS.
Things were getting desperate when i spied a stack of broken units under a tank.
I got the unarmed units next to them (the tank having shot up the conscripts) and decided to go into CC.
1. Would the brokies have been DM and thus able to rout when i went next? I think no.
2. Can the unarmed unit advance into the hex and, if so, does he need to pass a 1PAATC? I think yes to both.
3. Given this is a woods road hex, is ambush possible and what are the mods? Vehicle was CE.
4. Can the unarmed unit cc the tank? I think no.
5. If the unarmed unit fails to kill anything, and thus rearm, will the brokies become DM?

6. If the unarmed unit stays in the hex, having survived the 4:1 cc from the tank, does a melee exist?
7. If melee exists and the broken leader self Rallies, can he rally the broken squads? No, he is not in good order being held in melee.
8. If the tank during movement fires into the melee and destroys the unarmed unit, dies the melee end and can the now good order leader move?

Of course, this mattered as my opponent had to get 4cvp of infantry off.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
IIRC, unarmed units [EXC: Japanese] can't enter a Location with Known enemy units in it.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We find this too late....

If he were Japanese, what would have been the result?
I now know the unit attack in CC would be DM, what of the other units in the hex that are not attacked?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
We find this too late....

If he were Japanese, what would have been the result?
I now know the unit attack in CC would be DM, what of the other units in the hex that are not attacked?
If the unarmed squad were Japanese, it would not attempt escape [G1.621]. The rule is vague on what "attempting escape" is. I take it to mean that a Japanese prisoner will not attack in CC, i.e. a Japanese prisoner will not make an escape NTC when its guard is broken and will not attack/withdraw even when a Melee forms. One might alternately read it as only prohibiting the escape NTC.

JR

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If the unarmed squad were Japanese, it would not attempt escape [G1.621]. The rule is vague on what "attempting escape" is. I take it to mean that a Japanese prisoner will not attack in CC, i.e. a Japanese prisoner will not make an escape NTC when its guard is broken and will not attack/withdraw even when a Melee forms. One might alternately read it as only prohibiting the escape NTC.

JR
So we have to assume his guard died letting half the sqd rearmlesvig the remaining half squad unarmed.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
So we have to assume his guard died letting half the sqd rearmlesvig the remaining half squad unarmed.
That is certainly possible. I thought we were talking about a real situation and not exploring hypothetical ones. Even though a Japanese unarmed unit can enter a hex with Known enemy units, it still has no CCV, A20.5 "All unarmed units have a FP factor of ''(1)'', which can be used only in CC vs Personnel."

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yup, one that one. What about the DM result. On the whole stack or just the unit that gets attacked?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is no change for unarmed Japanese regarding causing DM when ADJACENT: as an unarmed unit it would not cause broken units to become DM. The CC would become hand-to-hand per G1.64, but the unarmed unit would not get the -1. Any units attacked would become DM.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
But the stack had 4 broken units, to DM them all, would i need to attack them all or just 1?