ULTRAMARINES - The Movie!!!!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tears of joy are streaming down my face as I write this:

Warhammer's ULTRAMARINES gets a director + video interview with writer Dan Abnett

Rumblings of a movie based on Warhammer 40,000's tabletop role playing games has been around for a while, but now that the first production, Ultramarines, has finally named a director for the film it looks as though it's actually happening and it won't be long before we'll see some badass, hard-combat scifi.

The man to take the reigns on the project is Martyn Pick, a relative newcomer whose past credits include mostly animation work on documentaries like The Age of Stupid and Chicago 10. Apparently Pick was chosen for his "renowned and highly distinctive ability to fuse live action and animation."

The man behind the script, however, should be no stranger to Warhammer fans. Dan Abnett, writer of more than 25 books for Games Workshop’s Black Library (with total sales in excess of 1.2 million copies) has written the final draft. Abnett also works regularly for 2000 AD, Marvel Comics, and DC Comics and has recently seen publication of the first of three novels for HarperCollins' new sci-fi, fantasy and horror imprint, "Angry Robot".

No word yet on a plot, but Abnett promises that it focuses on the film will focus on the most iconic elements of the Warhammer 40K world.
[YOUTUBE]aBsWc1i4Cr4[/YOUTUBE]

This will be my Watchmen/LotR! But now the ulcers begin! In the name of the Undying Emperor, don't screw this up!!!! It's our one chance to launch our beloved 40K franchise onto the silver screen! Please...keep Shia away from this.

(runs off to get a Rosarius and begin some fervent praying)

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was just thinking (always a dangerous proposition): remember that German 40K fan film that GW canned suddenly through legal action last year or so? I wonder if it was because of this film? Abnett said this has been in the works for a few years, so maybe they had to clamp down on the fan film because of legalities surrounding this film?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some more info:

ULTRAMARINES: Codex Pictures Announce Director and Writer!

Codex Pictures revealed today the director and screenwriter for the forthcoming Warhammer 40,000 movie ULTRAMARINES.

The director is Martyn Pick, whose credits include the 2009 film The Age of Stupid, on which he was animation director; London 2012, the promotional film commissioned by Film London and the London Development Agency which was premiered at the Beijing Olympics; the 2001 US Budweiser NBA commercial; and the celebrated BBC promotional trailers for the Euro 2004 soccer tournament. Martyn was chosen to direct Ultramarines for his renowned and highly distinctive ability to fuse live action and animation and the fluid, rich painterly style of his film-making.

The screenplay has been written by someone who needs no introduction to Warhammer 40,000 fans – best-selling author Dan Abnett. Dan has penned more than 25 books for Games Workshop’s Black Library, with total sales in excess of 1.2 million copies. He also works regularly for 2000 AD, Marvel Comics and DC Comics and has recently seen publication of the first of three novels for HarperCollins' new sci-fi, fantasy and horror imprint, Angry Robot.

ULTRAMARINES, a sci-fi thriller employing CGI and state-of-the-art production techniques, is being produced by Codex Pictures in association with Good Story Productions Ltd. The Canadian co-producer is POP6 Studios.

Keep up with news of the film at http://ultramarinesthemovie.com
Okay, I am a bit worried that the production company seems to have little experience with major films. It sounds like one of those Sci-Fi...sorry, SyFy movie deals.

I really hope not. Don't crush my hopes already! :upset:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. When I first saw Abnett's vid, I was excited. But this PR blurb makes it sound like a very limited effort.

Now, that might not be bad. Hollywood is going crazy snapping up comic and game franchises, and 40K is both. GW might be making a limited "demo film" of sorts to get some traction for a bigger film down the road...or even a TV series. In fact, the more I think about it, the more it sounds like what they have in mind. I mean, if this was just a throw away effort, why enlist their #1 writer on a two year project (so far)? Seems like this is just GW putting their big toe in the water. This movie doesn't have to be great, it just has to be "good enough" to garner some mainstream attention.

So...we'll see, I guess.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I found two older press releases from Codex Films that sheds more light on the film (most importantly, it will be a direct to DVD film...so yeah).

For the first time, Games Workshop’s globally renowned Warhammer 40,000 universe is to be realised in a feature-length movie on DVD.

Ultramarines is a 70-minute sci-fi thriller that will use CGI and state-of-the-art animation production techniques. Games Workshop is delighted to be working with UK-based production company Codex Pictures, who have the momentous task of bringing the Warhammer 40,000 universe to the screen.

Commenting on the news, Erik Mogensen, Licensing and Acquired Rights Manager for Games Workshop, said, “Over the years, we have been approached again and again by all sorts of producers and film companies wanting to take our intellectual property to the screen. We have always believed that, in the right hands, the stories, themes and characters from the Warhammer 40,000 universe would lend themselves perfectly to the movie genre. We’re working closely with the talented team at Codex Pictures, who have an excellent understanding of the Warhammer 40,000 intellectual property and an inspired vision for the movie. We can’t wait to see our universe come to life on-screen.”

“We’re hugely honoured to be making Ultramarines,” said a spokesman for Codex Pictures. “It’s taken a lot of research and development to get to this stage – and it’s such an exciting challenge to be able to bring the depth and power of the Warhammer 40,000 universe to a brand new medium.”
and

London-based production company Codex Pictures announced today that it is in production in the UK and Canada on Ultramarines, a feature-length movie on DVD/Blu-ray set in Games Workshop’s futuristic Warhammer 40,000 universe.

The sci-fi thriller, which is employing CGI and state-of-the-art animation production techniques, is being produced by Codex Pictures in association with Good Story Productions Ltd. The Canadian co-producer is POP6 Studios. The producers are Bob Thompson of Good Story Productions and David Kerney of Codex Pictures.

The film has been financed by Aramid Entertainment BV, POP6 Medias Inc and the Wales Creative IP Fund.

The team behind Ultramarines were producers of the original, highly successful and multi award-winning DVD BIONICLE®, made for the LEGO Company. “We are delighted to be working with Codex Pictures on the first ever feature-length DVD movie set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe,” says Andy Jones, Head of Legal and Licensing for Games Workshop. “The talented team at Codex has a wealth of experience and are very passionate about Warhammer 40,000. We are confident that Ultramarines will deliver a fantastic visual and narrative experience.”

"We are thrilled to have been chosen to produce a feature film based on such an iconic global property - much sought-after by many other studios and producers over the years," says Vanessa Chapman, MD of Codex Pictures and executive producer of Ultramarines.

"It's an important part of our company strategy going forward and marks the return of many members of the award-winning team behind BIONICLE®. Considerable time and research has gone into developing an authentic yet fresh approach to the design of the film. We hope it will be the first of many such projects."

Upon DVD release, there will be both a collector’s edition and international version. Follow the progress of the film at www.ultramarinesthemovie.com
Bionicle....This makes me worried.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bionicle....This makes me worried.
I read this a while ago and this was my thought exactly... and still is. But then again it's Bionicle, a kids toy/movie thing nothing close to being as "serious" as the 40k universe. So there is a slight chance it might actually be good! But I'm not crossing my fingers or holding my breath.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A vid:

[YOUTUBE]YSoAft4eCes[/YOUTUBE]

...Bob Thompson's musings:

Not the Glory, the Victory...

I knew making a Warhammer 40,000 movie was going to be a big deal for many people, and a great honour to be trusted with, but it still felt amazing to be at the UK Games Day in September and see firsthand how excited everyone was when they heard about ULTRAMARINES. It was also great to see the response to the announcement of Dan Abnett as writer and, just in case I need to confirm what many of you have guessed, he really has done a cracking job with the script....
...Dan Abnett's musings:

Dan Abnett on designers

So, the project advances, and it’s been very cool to see the creative crew come together. Over the next few months, on the Ultramarines movie website or places like this blog, you’ll get to meet some of those people and see what they’ve been working on. I’ve already had a glimpse or two. I’ve heard the artists speak about the processes and challenges, and I’ve had sight of some of the early work in progress. Maybe I’m a sucker for this kind of thing, but I like to see talented people talking enthusiastically about what they’re good at, and discovering the thoughts behind it....
...and some artwork:

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They would probably make a killing if they got the DVD into their own supply chain, as well as regular stores.

Using the same production company as Bionicle shouldn't be too much of a stretch, we are talking about two toy companies...

Lastly, I know the stories for the space marines are usually "turns out good for the marines" type endings, but this is the "dark future of mankind where there is only war"...

SPOILER ALERT - stop now if you haven't read the last chancers series... (like you would be surprised really, but I just had to do a disclaimer)

I don't remember the author, but the Last Chancers series is pretty bleak overall. Yeah the main characters (mostly) survive the dangerous missions along the way, but it doesn't really have a good ending. It would be a set of action packed movies, but leave a sense of loss after the trilogy was done...

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First teaser! :bounce:

[video=youtube;QhiGXKmRY4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhiGXKmRY4w&feature=player_embedded[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same here. The Imperial Guard is my favorite 40K faction since I read my first battle report about them reenacting the Rorke's Drift battle. True story. And yes that would be even better! And Niel Blomkamp would have to direct (not sure how to spell his name).... or at least someone who is good. But a live action would actually be more fitting for the Imperial Guard. And as an opponent it would have to be the Eldar or the Tau....

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Next trailer:

[video=youtube;6vF_VLZotWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vF_VLZotWc[/video]

The only thing that concerns me is that there doesn't appear to be any big battles in this movie. It appears to be squad vs squad combat. :OHNO: Oh well. I wasn't expecting much from this first effort, anyway. It's a start.