UK and Europe travel

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi all,
I'm going to Europe this year and to the UK next year. Any maps I buy and install on my Australian-bought navigation device (navman for me) expire after a year or two. To stop wasting money on maps expiring (it's happened a few times and we plan to go back every few years) I am thinking of buying a navman or garmin (whatever is recommended) from a UK site (or whatever is recommended!) with a full set of UK/Europe maps.

Any recommendations about where I could get one?

Adam

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Of course, it is a wide field, but for Germany the navigation devices by Garmin or TomTom are probably best.

If you buy one over here, it is standard to have maps for like two dozen European countries with lifelong map updates at no extra cost. I have also seen some that include map (with free lifelong map updates) for the "world".

Of course, the devil lies always in the detail: "Lifelong" normally means something comparable like with Windows OS - at some point the devices are no longer produced/supported. But by my experience, they break down / the battery is dead and too expensive to replace etc. before you run into problems regarding the "lifelong" updates. Then, one would be well advised to scrutinize, what "world" means if you buy here. Who knows if this would include countries like Afghanistan, Micronesia - or Australia?

You'll find relatively simple ones for 100 Euros. Mid-price is 150 to 180 Euros. High price-segment would be 270 to 350 Euros. The more expensive ones, you can connect to your smartphone which will enable the navigation device to draw on more precise traffic info (but if you use a phone contract from Australia, roaming fees would likely be a killer). Many use smart-phone apps instead of dedicated navigation devices. These work well, but of course draw on your data allowance if you don't have a flatrate (and might be expensive due to roaming in your case).

This is just a rough outline from what I glanced over in adds of newspapers. I did not dig deeper into it for quite some time as my car has a built in one.

As for where to buy one over here: Every larger electronic market has them. Or you could buy via Amazon, though I am not sure they will deliver European devices to Australia.

Then, you should inform yourself if there are any "specialties" to be considered. It has been a couple of years since I have been to Australia. But for some reasons (that I have forgotten), European SIM-cards for a cell phone did not work in Australian cell phones. What we did was bying two cheap cell phones in Australia with Australian prepaid cards.

von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Take a look at "maps.me" for free basic GPS mapping that works offline.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about a sim card and Google maps?

Google also has an offline map capability (they last for something like 21 days).

They worked for me. My android device was unlocked for sim card, which is normal today.

Rich

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks for the tips guys - I guess amazon has not yet conquered the world - didn't even think of it!
I'll look into the suggestions this week.

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good luck. I am headed over to Netherlands/Belgium/Lux/France for 2w next month and plan to use my phone and data service as primary navigation. As above stated you can get a SIM but check with your carrier and see what they will arrange. I have T-Mobile (granted they are European based) and they offered a reasonable rate to turn on data service in Europe for a month. FYI T-Mobile let me add unlimited data/text in Europe to my plan for 1 month for $15. This gives me maps and internet and I can do phone calls from WiFi in the hotel or they do charge $0.20 per minutes for calls. Cheap enough to make a hotel reservation but not for a chat home with the wife.

Last edited:

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
OpenStreetMap has a very good coverage of most of Europe. And it's free.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
How about a sim card and Google maps?

Google also has an offline map capability (they last for something like 21 days).

They worked for me. My android device was unlocked for sim card, which is normal today.

Rich
This.
The days of the satnav are over. A decent smartphone will work very well as asatnav.
I only have a basic phone (Samsung J3) and no longer use my satnav at all.