UI Simple Improvements

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Since BF really scrogged-the-pooch with it's lame attempt at 'featurizing' the UI, I wonder if just improving the existing UI would have been more in their comfort zone.

I find the game-play to have irritating qualities that just make playing it an unpleasant experience. It's like being at a ballpark and some a-hole is blowing a whistle all the time. Does one integrate this annoyance into the sports arena experience? Be nice to stick the whistle in the person's rump but there are too many witnesses. And he isn't the only Philllies fan either. But, I digress.

When playing the game, and using the lower right hand interface to give orders, I constantly 'bump' the lower right hand screen edge and this 'jumps' the view to the right. Why the lower screen next to the menus is 'live' to this motion effect is beyond me. It should only be the screen-view of the 'playing field'. In any case, it occurs to me that the whole menu placement should not be off to one side but just centered in the lower middle part of the screen. I typically have the unit under 'command' that I wish to give orders centered in the screen and usually at the lower-center. Having the menu system in the middle would decrease mouse motion and also avoid 'bumping' the screen.

The menu system is also annoying in that I am always searching around for the command and it seems that I am always in the wrong menu choice. I know that you can use the keyboard but that is a weak solution. I notice that many of the menus have 'blank' spots where orders could go. Orders like 'HUNT" are, to me, both Combat and Movement. I would like to see Hunt in every and any menu type. I also would like to see Target in every type of menu selection. It is used for LOS, not just target, and I bet if a study was done (oh No!, not real testing!!!), you could identify the frequency of these commands. Personally, I would like one more menu 'catagory'. That being Custom. Basically the player fills up a Menu box with what he likes and the game defaults to this menu type after each command. A player can then, just using a quick mouse motion, give the most commonly used commands in an expeditious manner. I would even like the menu system enlarged. Even to the extent of 'hiding' the 'guns' part of the interface. The guns would scroll out when the mouse cursor overlaps the left hand unit information. (Or it wouldn't in the case of limited intel about one's own troops). That is another thing...jeesh, I could go on forever...the game gives too much uber-info about one's own troops even if they are beat to hell. But, I digress.

The whole screen edge 'bump' system sucks. I would just as soon turn it off.

It just seems that playing the game with annoyances has been accepted by the inner-circle and die hard fans. I am not sure that the game is really evolving and the lame attempt at improving the UI and heralding it as a 'Feature' makes me feel that game development might be at a burn-out stage. Forget things being patched let alone improved. I doubt there will be much change in 'Arnhem' and even the first EF game. This is the product as you see it in CMFI. Get used to the bells&whistles.

Last edited:

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Jesus. I forgot about how annoying it is to use the 'VCR' controls for starting the turn video and fast fwding etc. I always hit the screen edge and the game jerks over.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks.

I had started a similar thread on the BFC forums. I should try to find it.

My main pet peeve right now is the way that the panning on right mouse press works. It's just totally wrong, and different from all other games. It's not a computer performance issue, my "slow" and my fast computer show it identically. Somebody picked random values for panning speed and decided to not let us change them. When complaints came in some form of acceleration was put in which made it worse and again, no way of turning it on or off, not to mention adjusting it.

Second in line is how the viewer standpoint effectively jumps around when changing the height with the digit keys. I say 'effectively' since the problem seems to be that the absolute point in space where the observer is doesn't jump but that leads the game to sent the point that the player is interested in - the one he's looking at - to hell every time you use the button.

Third is the apparent inability to fix either keybindings or the right-click menu to work in an kind of effective fashion. Key customization is way too limited (both wrt what you can bind and wrt not having shift/control/super/meta/hyper keys to use in there) and the double-column right-click menu is the joke of the young century. Very seen that trick before, and now I know why.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I am putting my best vid card, a lame GeForce 6400GT (1GB DDR2) into my best machine, basically a 775 socket dual core E6750 2.66Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 1333 with a SSD.It is Win XP for now but I might jump on the Windows 8 deal that is coming up soon ($40.00).

I want to max out all the CM settings with the CMFI demo to see how it looks. The game runs 'fine' on almost everything I own but I havent tried it on the wifey;s Vista notebook.

I was curious about how the screen bump might react. You are saying it is not machine dependent?

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Screen bump?

I can tell you that the UI doesn't improve one bit with a faster machine. What appears to be sluggy panning is programmed that way.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
When you bounce the mouse cursor off the screen edges, it makes the camera move. It is very jerky and I never liked the transition from rotating (top of the screen on the left and right) and left and right motion (middle area on the left and right).

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I finally got the GeForce card up and running. Excruciatingly slow Java upgrade was needed to use the NVidia auto-detect 'feature' at their website, and then another excruciatingly slow download of the driver etc., followed by a slow installation. But it actually seems to make the overall machine performance better. I cranked everything up to 'Best' and the machine didn't hiccup. But the game performs the same way.

I wish the mouse right click rotation was around a selected unit and not the POV-Point. If that makes sense. Or is even correct.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well more points:

why can't I exit the artillery orders any way that I exit the other orders (right-click won't exit, not that right-click to deselect is a good idea in the first place) (ESC doesn't do). You have to move the mouse to click "x". WTF?

Why are the camera movements limited so that in "view 4" height I can't scroll over enough to even see large chunks on the edge of the active battlefield. WTF?

And thanks for giving up the feature to enlarge the units for a quick view in the 3D battlefield. That was the one feature that allowed realistic ranged to be played in an efficient manner.

I also fired up PzO and ended up in contiguous head-shaking. I think the developers of these games should never have tried to do UI design.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Why is it needed to go through the 'orders menu' to 'deploy' a weapon? Why not have it that just clicking the weapon-state symbol directly toggles the weapon's deployment state?

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Here is a UI 'mini-feature' from the patch...

Clear Target command key is user-configurable.

No idea whatsoever what that means. But it sounds promising.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is a UI 'mini-feature' from the patch...

Clear Target command key is user-configurable.

No idea whatsoever what that means. But it sounds promising.
In the full version of CMFI there is a place in the game that the player can set the hot keys themselves from the default. In CMx2 v1 it was done with a text file in the data folder. Now it can be done within the "Options" area in the game. What you mention is not a mini feature but a bug fix. You were not able to set the "clear target" command within the new system.

slm

Reaction score
CMFI has those new group commands which use function keys with modifiers. I wish these keys could also be remapped. I'd like to use just function key for GoToGroupX and then function key + modifier for setting the group.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
"Combat Mission: Fortress Italy" - DEMO (FREE)
Wednesday, 12 September 2012
This completely free demo of COMBAT MISSION: FORTRESS ITALY is available for both the PC and Mac OS X platforms. This free demo version contains limited functionality and content to showcase the full version of the game, which can be purchased at www.battlefront.com.

DEMO VERSION LIMITATIONS:

only three scenarios are playable.
QuickBattles are disabled (but the QB setup screen is visible)
multiplayer modes (PBEM/TCP) are fully enabled
the Scenario Editor is enabled and fully functional, but it will not allow you to purchase units, load, or save any maps
contains nag screens during launch end exit of the demo

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Of course, I was also being facetious since the UI was not really 'patched' as far as I can tell. They are happy with it perhaps, and when they are happy, then they are happy.