Uh-oh...

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sealion???

Hello,

Just starting the spring of '41, no Sealion T.O. has appeared for the Germans yet. When does this occur or is this a percentage level event, that never occured for me.
I'm happy to let the Brits keep their little island but was wondering about all this talk of Sealion.(thought it was a theorhetical operation).
Bdr.Mallette hasn't seen one yet!
Bdr.Mallette is getting anxious about Russia.
U.S. has just entered fight, does this cancel any Sealion events or such?
Need to know before I attack Norway again.
Have all of Med under control ('cept Malta), Hungary thru to Greece speaks German now as well, but not Englanders, yet.

Bdr.Mallette wants to know before a full spring Thaw...!

:D

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
It's a fair comment that the Werhmacht couldn't have mounted 'Sealion' and 'Barbarossa' simultaneously, and if the scenario design not only allows but positively encourages that it needs to be addressed. Is Shane the only man to have seen this? And does it guarantee an Axis victory?

SkyVon's point that 'Sealion' shouldn't preclude 'Barbarossa' altogether is also valid, although I would expect the Allied player to always use the USSR DoW TO once it's triggered by a German landing in the UK. And I think that's reasonable historically: Stalin either sees Germany embroiled in the UK and decides to go for it or, alternatively, sees Germany about to conquer the UK and, knowing the USSR's next on the menu, decides to go for it. I can't imagine any circumstances (historically or in the scenario) in which the USSR passively watches the UK being occupied and then waits while Germany transfers the victorious units east to launch 'Barbarossa'. So I think the need to use 'Sealion' to postpone and reset the 'Barbarossa' TO and related bonuses is likely to complicate things when it isn't necessary.

(Incidentally, we mustn't confuse the 'Battle of Britain' option with a landing in the UK - it's just that victory in the BoB provides the extra sealift that makes a successful landing more likely. The Germans are, by definition, allowed to invade the UK any time once they're at war.)

We need to leave the 'Barbarossa' TO in place immediately following a German DoW on the USSR, in case of an Eastern Crusade game, or simply if the Axis player decides to attack Russia earlier than historically.

I'm ashamed to admit that due to work and wargaming, I've still not had time to try out Lou's suggestions for looping some of the weather effects and thus saving Events.

Even if this does provide some spares, I'm not certain how to prevent the Axis launching a combined 'Sealion' and 'Barbarossa' simultaneously, while reworking the Event structure as little as possible.

Welcome any thoughts or suggestions, preferably not along the lines of 'Get off your arse and check out Lou's idea immediately.'

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark Stevens said:
...SkyVon's point that 'Sealion' shouldn't preclude 'Barbarossa' altogether is also valid, although I would expect the Allied player to always use the USSR DoW TO once it's triggered by a German landing in the UK. And I think that's reasonable historically: Stalin either sees Germany embroiled in the UK and decides to go for it or, alternatively, sees Germany about to conquer the UK and, knowing the USSR's next on the menu, decides to go for it. I can't imagine any circumstances (historically or in the scenario) in which the USSR passively watches the UK being occupied and then waits while Germany transfers the victorious units east to launch 'Barbarossa'.
Gentlemen:

Really great posts here! Hats off to all.

Without taking anything away from the overall discussion, may I disagree with Mark on the "historical" aspect of his comment, and, to the extent that history drives scenario rules, possible revisions, etc., offer up the following facts/context:

It may make very good sense, scenario wise, for the USSR to DOW Germany if they invade England, but historically, this would have never happened.

Two pillar argument supports, maybe three.

First, militarily, this comment ignores the 1937 Officer purges. Stalin totally wiped out the officer corps of the Russian army. With one or two exceptions all Army, Corps, Division, and sometimes lower, Commanders were killed in about 5 major purges spaced throughout 1937.

After this, the Russian army was incapable of any real cohesive offensive action -- look at the Winter War -- in LATE 1940 let alone summer, if truth be told .. the Russians took over a MILLION total casualties, KIA and wounded. The counterattacks that Stalin insisted on all along the Eastern Front between Jan and May 1942 so weakened the Russian Army, it kept the Russians retreating for another year. Only in late 42 and 43 do we START see a russian army capable of sustained offensive actions.

A Russian attack on Germany in Fall 1940 would have ended in disaster for the Russians. Shane actually identifies that the game system shows this well by the German Rail capacity -- sometimes called the unsung German weapon of WWII by the way -- and completely superior German mobility doctrine -- especially in the part of Europe with better roads. Had there been paved roads throughout Russia, we'd be speaking German here!!! No, the Germans would have bent in front of this offensive and then surrounded and cut it off. The resulting counter offensive might have rolled the Russians up all together. Even to the end of the war, the Russians took heavy casualties with their offensives, many X times the Germans... they simply had the manpower to burn. So a 1940 offensive against an intact, unweakened, unbowed German army glowing with high morale from the triumph in France???

Second Pillar.

Stalin completely distrusted the English. Have any of you ever seen the program on History Channel that shows Stalin's handwritten comments on reports his own people were giving him warning of the German attack right up to the start of Barbarossa? Comedy. By the time Stalin had reached the point where he had signed the 1939 non-agression pact, he firmly believed he could do business with another dictator, more so than the "weak, appeasing" western democracies... and make no mistake, Stalin wanted to be on the winning side. Add to this the "shock" and "awe" Stalin felt of the 6 weeks German victory in France --- Stalin orders laging raw material deliveries to Germany SPEEDED UP --- and I don't see him breaking the "partnership" at that point. He had a feeling the two systems might eventually clash, but was buying time to a point still years away in his thinking.

Last, weaker, pillar.

Stalin was NOT a big risk taker. He signed the 1939 non-agression pact -- it gave him half Poland and a chance to gobble up the "little" baltic states for minimal risk -- Poland was a freebie. He attacked Finland looking for an easy victory, and eventually settled for a very moderate outcome as the victor, given Hitler's growing concern of the nickel mining concessions there. Rightly so, Stalin had a healthy fear of the German army.

Barbarossa. Shocked that his long term plan had failed, Stalin hides himself away "like a little boy" for 6 weeks while it is Molotov who has to announce to the country the Germans have invaded. He sends private peace feelers to Hitler, even after he is aware the attack is not a misunderstanding, and himself offers significant territorial concessions. Hitler ignored these {foolishly as it turns out} as he sensed continued weakness.
In fact, Stalin only really re-surfaces as he begins to realize Mr. Winter may bail him out. In October, everybody was ready to move the capital further east to Kuybyshev. Man of Steel? Hmmm.

I don't see the man making a call to attack Germany with the Soviet army dificiencies of 1940. Wasn't he also busy bullying Romania and occupying Bessarabia in summer 1940??? Oh my.

Had England fallen, Turkey and so many states around the Russian perimeter would have flipped Pro-Axis {not to mention Japan hadn't picked an attack direction yet}, he would have searched even harder for a way to "continue business" with his German counterpart.

Sorry the two cents worth turned out to be five.
VM

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
hey,

T.O. operation Sealion
cancels original Operation Barbarossa t.o.
enables new delayed Operation Barbarossa T.O.

T.O. Operation Barbarossa
Cancels original Operation Sealion t.o.
enables new delayed operation Sealion T.O.

I think.

Maybe 6-10 events needed.

Probably easier way.

maybe,
drop the Sealift down to 1500 for a few turns, then back up to 6000 or 8000.
Because in the Black sea, baltics transport is at 1500 max anyways, no? this would hamper the Med though. hmmmm.
Some options available.

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mark Stevens said:
It's a fair comment that the Werhmacht couldn't have mounted 'Sealion' and 'Barbarossa' simultaneously, and if the scenario design not only allows but positively encourages that it needs to be addressed. Is Shane the only man to have seen this? And does it guarantee an Axis victory?
Although I appreciate the (what I chose to see as a) compliment :laugh: , it's not that straightforward. Not many people have gamed out Sealion multiple times as both sides against various opponents. It's generally being played for ladder points, and people are hesitant to risk it. So I might just have been in this position more often than anyone else here.

And I would have to say that if we grant that the German was able to take a supplied port and hold it for a turn or so, then yes, the Barb bonus virtually guarantees Axis victory, no two ways about it.

SkyVon's point that 'Sealion' shouldn't preclude 'Barbarossa' altogether is also valid, although I would expect the Allied player to always use the USSR DoW TO once it's triggered by a German landing in the UK.
I was just thinking this same thing as I read through the new comments. It becomes a standard response - IF the Axis invades England THEN the Reds must declare war, or suffer the consequences. So perhaps a 6 turn delay before Barb becomes active again? Gives the Reds a couple turns beyond the 4 they already have to wait? I like that, I think it addresses the problem.

As to Sealion being declared while the Barb bonus is already in effect, that could be covered with no events - just change the news strings to include the required text:

"Axis launches Operation Barbarossa - No Sealion TO while Barbarossa is in effect"

and:

"Operation Barbarossa ends, Sealion TO now allowed"

(Why waste events, right?)

And I think that's reasonable historically: Stalin either sees Germany embroiled in the UK and decides to go for it or, alternatively, sees Germany about to conquer the UK and, knowing the USSR's next on the menu, decides to go for it. I can't imagine any circumstances (historically or in the scenario) in which the USSR passively watches the UK being occupied and then waits while Germany transfers the victorious units east to launch 'Barbarossa'. So I think the need to use 'Sealion' to postpone and reset the 'Barbarossa' TO and related bonuses is likely to complicate things when it isn't necessary.
I agree completely.

Welcome any thoughts or suggestions, preferably not along the lines of 'Get off your arse and check out Lou's idea immediately.'
Well, we could use the events to remove Barbarossa for 6 turns when Sealion is launched, then have it return for week 7. (What would happen if Barb had already been used, however? Would it give a second Barb? Would extra events need to be used to ensure that both these angles are covered?)

Why not skip using any events whatsoever, and just modify the news strings for both Barbarossa (as I mentioned above) and Sealion, as below:

"Axis begins operation Sealion - No Barbarossa TO for 6 turns!"

With spare events being at a premium, I like the news string solution the best so far. A very minimum of fuss to implement, uses no events, and is quite clear.

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
That is the most elegant solution, why didn't I think of it?

Re Von Manstein's earlier comments, interesting and well presented, but I don't agree...

There were contingency plans in the USSR for invading Germany and the eastern satellites, it had been wargamed by the General Staff before the war (see Erickson's 'The Road to Stalingrad')and conflict was regarded as inevitable: as you rightly say, Stalin merely wanted to postpone it until he felt the USSR was strong enough. It was building bases and churning out equipment as fast as possible, and sticking it all as far west as it could, in an offensive posture. If he really wanted security, with no possibility of initiating an attack himself, he merely needed to send forward the NVKD's political troops to hold down the newly-acquired areas, and leave the Red Army in the partially completed Stalin Line. But he didn't: and this is partly why the Red Army took such a mauling early on. Massing the army in the west, with the Red Air Force and the armoured and mechanised units well forward give him options in case the Germans suffered any sort of military or political setback (such, I would suggest, as 'Sealion' meeting with disaster).

From his point of view the officer purges were a success: he got a Red Army slavishly obedient to his commands.

The Winter War was an expensive disaster, but the Red Army learned a lot and eventually broke through the Mannerheim Line. It had also learned from the fighting with the Japanese in the Far East. The Army's entire doctrine was based upon the offensive, which is partly why it blundered westwards to meet the German invasion and took such a savage beating.

I agree that any such offensive in 1940, or whenever, would have been ponderous and ill-directed, and quite likely to have met with early reverses at the hands of the experienced Germans. But these reverses would occur well to the west of the central economic and industrial heartland of the USSR, and meanwhile the millions would be mobilising...

But I don't think that invalidates the idea that Stalin would have considered an attack had he seen a substantial portion of the Wehrmacht embroiled in the UK. And, getting back to the scenario, the Allies aren't obliged to hurl the Red Army westwards having declared war - nothing to stop it attacking Rumania in strength while nibbling away at the line of German fortifications and waiting for the mass mobilisation that follows the DoW. It will be very difficult for the Germans to complete the conquest of the UK while simultaneously going over to the offensive (without the 'Barbarossa' bonuses) in the east.

My one experience of this was when I had invaded the UK, and I can promise you that the sight of the Red Army rolling westwards after you've painstakingly shipped several infantry and a couple of panzer corps to the UK, with the bulk of the Luftwaffe in support, while the rest of the army is resting from the battles in France is quite frightening.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Russians are coming!?

Mark Stevens said:
Re Von Manstein's earlier comments, interesting and well presented, but I don't agree...

...I don't think that invalidates the idea that Stalin would have considered an attack had he seen a substantial portion of the Wehrmacht embroiled in the UK. And, getting back to the scenario, the Allies aren't obliged to hurl the Red Army westwards having declared war - nothing to stop it attacking Rumania in strength while nibbling away at the line of German fortifications and waiting for the mass mobilisation that follows the DoW. It will be very difficult for the Germans to complete the conquest of the UK while simultaneously going over to the offensive (without the 'Barbarossa' bonuses) in the east. My one experience of this was when I had invaded the UK, and I can promise you that the sight of the Red Army rolling westwards after you've painstakingly shipped several infantry and a couple of panzer corps to the UK, with the bulk of the Luftwaffe in support, while the rest of the army is resting from the battles in France is quite frightening.

I think the Axis consensus will be to "go ahead" with Sea Lion when all is said and done -- especially with the operations already in progress against Gibralter {and it is the only time a landing could even be attempted}, so it will certainly be exciting to game this all out -- assuming as per all the discussion above the Allied player will go ahead with the option of the USSR DoW-ing Germany.

Why would Germany go over to the offensive in the east though? While high in number, are the Russian units that strong in June 1940? I refer back to Shane's comments a few posts back on railing/moving in infantry units and along with forts anchoring a defensive line. I'd let the russian offensive grind to a halt on german infantry (Don't we have 160 or so divisions in summer 1940?) while manuvering to cut it off with panzers.

Once Germany commits to Sea Lion it also has to ship units to North Africa and attack the vunerable English position there. I'd be tempted to try and HOLD in the east -- see what the russians can do against my defensive line, while taking the offensive in north africa. I could wait to go on the offensive in the east until after the 6 or so turn delay???

Big Question: If the Allies have the USSR DoW Germany as a result of Sea Lion -- what effect, if any, do you propose this to have on the subsequent chance and timing of United States entry into the war???

Is it fair to think the allies pay some penalty for this?

My thought goes back to the isolationism of the USA at the time... would a USSR early DoW, a Russian 'stab in the back' German propaganda would exploit, cause more sympathy for the German position back in the old USA. We weren't exactly excited {and the Joint Chiefs were violently opposed} to England drawing us into another war to protect an empire.

Thanks.
VM

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would say it would have changed things drastically.
In the Pacific, that attack on Germany could have changed that whole political situation.
What would Japan have done?
Would they break the War Pact with Russia and push on through China and Russia? Could have been interesting.
I would think it would have made the Americans a little more isolationist (word?).
Hell, what if the South won the American Civil War?
What would the U.S. look like today?
What would they have done during WWII, if there would have ever been one?

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mark Stevens said:
That is the most elegant solution, why didn't I think of it?
:laugh:

Me either, but I didn't have the time to reply to that one, it would've taken me too long. So, well said, Mark. ;) I'll take the next one, and we'll call it even.

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bdr.Mallette said:
Hell, what if the South won the American Civil War?
What would the U.S. look like today?
What would they have done during WWII, if there would have ever been one?
Read some Harry Turtledove to see what he thinks would have happened...not sure he's up to WWII though.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
E_Von_Manstein said:
I think the Axis consensus will be to "go ahead" with Sea Lion when all is said and done -- especially with the operations already in progress against Gibralter {and it is the only time a landing could even be attempted}, so it will certainly be exciting to game this all out -- assuming as per all the discussion above the Allied player will go ahead with the option of the USSR DoW-ing Germany.
(FYI - this is in regards to the EA-ICS we're working through).

Why would Germany go over to the offensive in the east though? While high in number, are the Russian units that strong in June 1940? I refer back to Shane's comments a few posts back on railing/moving in infantry units and along with forts anchoring a defensive line. I'd let the russian offensive grind to a halt on german infantry (Don't we have 160 or so divisions in summer 1940?) while manuvering to cut it off with panzers.
Ok, I've got to bring up a few points that are likely reminding you of that which you already know, but need to be repeated, just in case. Here, in this forum, we'll talk in alot greater detail about the workings of the scenario than will happen in the actual EA ICS forum. If you read back to the very beginning (in the ICS forum), I told everyone that was interested to come over here (EA Forum) if they were interested in learning about the inner workings of the scenario and game being used to generate the content - but in the ICS forum, the game remains 'behind the scenes'.

Secondly, keep in mind that Stalin is not at the helm here, and declaring war on the Germans doesn't mean screaming hordes of Reds throwing themselves at the invincible German line in human wave after human wave. What it likely means for an experienced Allied player is a quiet declaration of war against the Axis, and perhaps moving the (defensive!) front line forward several hundred kilometers.

The reasons the line is currently so far back of the German/Russian border is two-fold:

1> We know the game - once German declares war on Russia, she has 4(iirc) turns to launch operation Barbarossa, it cannot be delayed longer than this. Barbarossa will last for ~8 turns. Where the Reds set their line is back far enough to 'waste' some of those Germans turns, and burn some time, but not so far back as to give them the farm for free.

2> The best possible terrain for establishing a defensive line after considering #1 above.

Knowing that the Germans will no longer have the 8 turn Barbarossa bonus, the canny Allied player will advance to (close to) contact, and establish the defensive line there. Yes, he can still get the crap kicked out of him if the Germans attack, but that's true no matter where the battles take place, and the farther west of Moscow all this happens, the better for the Reds, whom time favors to an incredible degree.

Time - there is the biggest reason the Reds will drop a declarion of war on the Axis in the first place. It is a given that eventually, Russia will start cranking out millions of men, armor by the thousands and tens of thousands, arty units that will pound the German lines into dust... Typically, the Germans attack, beat the hell out of the Reds, almost take the country over, then the Red hordes start appearing, and the push west begins. Very tense for Russia (and the Axis player too!) Dropping the DoW on an Axis player that is not even able to really attack you is very comforting indeed, especially since you know they cannot launch that 8 turn offensive on you for the rest of the game! You're starting the 'timer' for free. Russia receives all thes aforementioned reinforcements based on X turns since war with the Axis is declared. The sooner there is war, the sooner they will get all those units. So, for a Russian, the faster this happens, the better. And if it can heppen, taking away the Barb bonus, against an Axis player who is also too occupied to even really launch a serious attack at you, so much the better!

Once Germany commits to Sea Lion it also has to ship units to North Africa and attack the vunerable English position there.
I'd be tempted to try and HOLD in the east -- see what the russians can do against my defensive line, while taking the offensive in north africa. I could wait to go on the offensive in the east until after the 6 or so turn delay???
Yes, that would work well. That's exactly what I did the first time I was Axis and this happened. But I found out that even without the Barb bonus, and even with 2nd and 3rd rate troops, I was still able to manage an offensive against the Reds. Keep in mind though, that I am a very aggressive player.

Big Question: If the Allies have the USSR DoW Germany as a result of Sea Lion -- what effect, if any, do you propose this to have on the subsequent chance and timing of United States entry into the war???

Is it fair to think the allies pay some penalty for this?My thought goes back to the isolationism of the USA at the time... would a USSR early DoW, a Russian 'stab in the back' German propaganda would exploit, cause more sympathy for the German position back in the old USA. We weren't exactly excited {and the Joint Chiefs were violently opposed} to England drawing us into another war to protect an empire.

Thanks.
VM
You know it! It takes a *huge* hunk out of the USEV (United States Entry Variable). This is a # that when it reaches 100, makes the US declare war. The entry of Russia drops this number by 20.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SkyVon said:
Read some Harry Turtledove to see what he thinks would have happened...not sure he's up to WWII though.
I just finished a couple of those Great War books. When the Yankees started using the tanks, that was pretty interesting reading!

tsar

Reaction score
SkyVon said:
He’s got 1 book out about it, so far.

SkyVon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mantis said:
You know it! It takes a *huge* hunk out of the USEV (United States Entry Variable). This is a # that when it reaches 100, makes the US declare war. The entry of Russia drops this number by 20.
Saying the US would not DoW Germany after a Sealion because the USSR DoW'd Germany is wrong, IMO.

If Germany invades England, I think what Russia did or did not do afterwards would be inconsequential to the US' decision on aiding England. A reasonable argument could be made that the US would DoW the Axis immediately upon Sealion and would most likely look favorably at a Russian move west, as it would open up a second front.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Axis Options

Mantis said:
The reasons the line is currently so far back of the German/Russian border is two-fold:

1> We know the game - once German declares war on Russia, she has 4(iirc) turns to launch operation Barbarossa, it cannot be delayed longer than this. Barbarossa will last for ~8 turns. Where the Reds set their line is back far enough to 'waste' some of those Germans turns, and burn some time, but not so far back as to give them the farm for free.

2> The best possible terrain for establishing a defensive line after considering #1 above.

Knowing that the Germans will no longer have the 8 turn Barbarossa bonus, the canny Allied player will advance to (close to) contact, and establish the defensive line there. Yes, he can still get the crap kicked out of him if the Germans attack, but that's true no matter where the battles take place, and the farther west of Moscow all this happens, the better for the Reds, whom time favors to an incredible degree.

Time - there is the biggest reason the Reds will drop a declarion of war on the Axis in the first place. It is a given that eventually, Russia will start cranking out millions of men, armor by the thousands and tens of thousands, arty units that will pound the German lines into dust... Typically, the Germans attack, beat the hell out of the Reds, almost take the country over, then the Red hordes start appearing, and the push west begins. Very tense for Russia (and the Axis player too!)

Dropping the DoW on an Axis player that is not even able to really attack you is very comforting indeed, especially since you know they cannot launch that 8 turn offensive on you for the rest of the game! You're starting the 'timer' for free. Russia receives all thes aforementioned reinforcements based on X turns since war with the Axis is declared. The sooner there is war, the sooner they will get all those units. So, for a Russian, the faster this happens, the better. And if it can heppen, taking away the Barb bonus, against an Axis player who is also too occupied to even really launch a serious attack at you, so much the better!
Shane:

Hmm. Seems problematic for the Axis then. Declare Sea Lion and essentially be prepared give up Barbarossa, or, pass on Sea Lion and leave England behind you, knowing its just a matter of time. Any allied player worth their salt would trade the US entry negative, as exists, to prevent ALTOGETHER, an Axis Barbarossa.

Which overall route then, as you've gamed this several times, gives the Axis the best (any?) hope of winning the war???? TO Sea Lion or not TO Sea Lion, so to speak?

Here I start to have a problem with the scenario balance in that it:

(1) starts to play completely fictional
(2) appears to penalize Axis success {odds are tough enough as is: anyone else of this opinion?}

Some one indicated that with Sea Lion in summer 1940, there would be no Barbarossa in 1941. I offer instead if Sea Lion is successful; likely no Balkan sidestep losing Wehrmacht 6 weeks {Balkans shore up politically for Axis}, and the amount of units involved in Sealion/garrisoning U.K. would have been offset by a reduction in western garrisions in France and Norway. {Hitler had a ridiculous number of troops in Norway convinced Britain might try another landing}

Germany would still have the time to shift the bulk of its army eastward, and although Mark and I disagree on conclusions, he shrewdly points out Stalin had moved his forces forward and arrayed them for a possible attack. Hitler knew this and new evidence is growing that, rather than outright agression, Hitler's timetable in 1941 was to forestall/pre-empt a possible Russian attack.

Would the following sequence of events work better:

Axis elects TO Sea Lion --

If Sealion unsuccessful and USSR DoW - No Axis TO Barbarossa (ouch)

If Sealion ultimately successful,however, Axis can declare Barbarossa X {6?} turns after << England falls/occupied by X divisions/other criteria>> regardless of USSR DoW

Now then, the USSR has to seriously look at what's happening in England as opposed to a completely "automatic" DoW... they can try to pile on if things go bad {as Mark alluded to} and crack the Axis quickly -- but they run a risk if Axis is ultimately successful.

This sequence maintains the Axis incentive to try and "win" through Sea Lion, and doesn't penalize him for success (!), but does create penalties if the landing is a failure -- and so ups the stakes on which he has to decide to attempt Sea Lion.

VM

Felix

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
SkyVon said:

Finishing this one up now. Coming soon to a scenario depot near you (well, once I hotseat 500 turns to check all of the events.....)

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
SkyVon said:
Saying the US would not DoW Germany after a Sealion because the USSR DoW'd Germany is wrong, IMO.

If Germany invades England, I think what Russia did or did not do afterwards would be inconsequential to the US' decision on aiding England. A reasonable argument could be made that the US would DoW the Axis immediately upon Sealion and would most likely look favorably at a Russian move west, as it would open up a second front.
I agree.

But Sealion is a very unique situation. Every other time the Reds declare war on the Axis (with no Sealion), the US would be likely to say 'Ah, good - the Russians will take care of it', and become less concerned, overall.

I think it's a matter of the way things are now cover 99% of the situations, but this one time is the exception that proves the rule.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
E_Von_Manstein said:
Shane:

Hmm. Seems problematic for the Axis then. Declare Sea Lion and essentially be prepared give up Barbarossa, or, pass on Sea Lion and leave England behind you, knowing its just a matter of time. Any allied player worth their salt would trade the US entry negative, as exists, to prevent ALTOGETHER, an Axis Barbarossa.
Agreed.

Which overall route then, as you've gamed this several times, gives the Axis the best (any?) hope of winning the war???? TO Sea Lion or not TO Sea Lion, so to speak?
:laugh: You stole my line! To Sea, or not to Sea(lion)

It all comes down to Russia. Killing the Brits makes killing Russia alot easier, as you don't really have to worry about the Atlantic wall. The Yanks might not even be in the war, and they don't amount to much for a looong time anyways, so you can basically forget about them if things are going well.

I can't say for certain that there is a 'best' route (any longer) - I have a unique and interesting history when it comes to Europe Aflame. When I first became involved, I was 110% convinced that Barbarossa was too powerful (in its early incarnations - you used to be able to hold on to it and use it when you wished, it was longer, etc). I also was 110% convinced that taking over the Suez Canal, going through the Middle East, and attacking Russia from the south as well was the be-all and end-all of Axis strategies.

But I was the FNG on the forum, and I needed to establish myself a bit, and show screenshots, empirical evidence and repeated demonstrations, etc. So *every* game I played, I took the Axis, and did the same thing. (To date - I have never used any other path into Russia - not once).

It took a while, but my points were verified, and not using Barbarossa at all in a game where Russia was defeated made crystal the observation that this theatre option (TO) must be timed from the DoW.

Since then, we've limited Barb to 4 turns after you declare war on Russia (have to use it by then), made it a bit weaker/shorter, and added in the ability for Russia to take Persia over as a buffer zone, giving them a massive range of mountains the Germans will have to batter through to make any headway.

Since then, I totally switched around, and have played nothing but the Allies for the past couple of years, as I'm currently working on theories of play balance in the Eastern Front.

And to be frank, you have the problem backwards (not your fault - you need alot of play time with this monster to know how the balance is)- The scenario is quite well balanced for two average-skilled players, they'll have a great game. The problems begin when the Axis player is a vet. The skilled players in TOAW, ones that are able to coax many combat phases out of the game engine, are able to wipe the Russians right out, with relative ease. (This is why I've been the Allies for the past two years! My new pet project! :D )

Changes since that time have changed the balance in favor of the Allies (Russian reinforcements show up more quickly, light rifle squad production has been increased and starts sooner, a couple of formations show up almost instantly with the DoW, etc). I'm not convinced one way or the other yet, but the general feeling is that the Axis might still be somewhat overwhelming in the hands of an expert.

Here I start to have a problem with the scenario balance in that it:

(1) starts to play completely fictional
We always have to consider game balance, and the best of an imperfect set of circumstances. There are limited events in the game engine (500), so although we could tweak the system extensively to more realistically model a sealion effort, and all the various outcomes, the events simply do not exist. (I think we currently have one or two free, and something like what I've described for Sealion would take dozens(!)...)

A> Sealion almost *never* happens, so it's not that important in the main scheme of things. Not when compared with the events required for the Fall of France, Operation Barbarossa, etc.

B> No one has ever mentioned all this before, until me, with this very thread, so it's obviously not been a problem even once yet. I also need to point out that as soon as a player moves a single unit back in summer of '39, that the game is now fiction - that's the point, (to me at least), to NOT be historical. (I know what happened historically - I play to see what might have happened! ;) ) I realize your point is more about the ahistorical nature of the way the US does/doesn't decalre war re: Sealion, etc; but I believe you get my point now about events, and making the balance overall the best we can with what we have available to work with.

(2) appears to penalize Axis success {odds are tough enough as is: anyone else of this opinion?}
I went into some detail about this above, so I'll try to keep this novel-sized post as short as I'm able. :whist: But I don't see that as penalizing Axis success. First off, Sealion should not be attempted unless you see a situation where the Brits are asking for it. It is a potential, not a viable strategy every game. And if the Axis takes the chance, and makes the beaches for a few turns, likely he'll take the island eventually. Trading Barbarossa for the death of the UK, and the 'sinking' of the unsinkable 'aircraft carrier' off the French coast (taking the island from the Allies) is a great deal, in my mind.

Secondly - the Russian player might argue that there shouldn't even be an operation Barbarossa. What exactly IS this option? It represents the Axis blitzkrieg tactics, and the surprise of hitting all those Russian troops that were deployed waaaay forward, that were unprepared as they attempted to setup for their own future offensive!

Well, Joe Mantis Stalin was watching what happened in France, and we've been working on this ourselves. We will not be caught as unprepared as my historical counterpart was. Also - The damage done in Barbarossa was mostly the catpure/destruction of all that previously mentioned men and equipment in forward positions. (Shakes head) Uh-uh. Not in this man's Russia.

I have no-one up front, I've scorched the earth, destroyed the rails, blown every damned bridge, armed the peasants with nice shiny sticks, and burned down every bit of anything that might even remotely be considered food. Sure, my starting army will still take a beating when I am forced to stand up to the german assault, but we'll do it in a nice, controlled manner, not huge surrounds/surrenders. So where does Barbarossa come in? How can the Axis player lose something that might not (technically) even exist?

It's a good trade, and the Axis player is the one with his finger on the button. There are no free lunches in EA. Doing something that benefits you will likely cause something equal and opposite to happen. (For every action...) Killing the UK is a monster victory, and losing a Barb opportunity hurts like hell. Pretty good balance. You simply don't DO Sealion as a lark - if you attempt it, you'd best be serious!

Hitler must consider carefully!

Axis elects TO Sea Lion --

If Sealion unsuccessful and USSR DoW - No Axis TO Barbarossa (ouch)

If Sealion ultimately successful,however, Axis can declare Barbarossa X {6?} turns after << England falls/occupied by X divisions/other criteria>> regardless of USSR DoW
Nope, I like it better the way it is now - if you recall my points above, I think you'll see where my thought process comes from. Barbarossa is a simulation of a certain set of circumstances that, although quite telling historically (and thus included in the game), might not even occur or exist in a game of EA. It's a fair enough trade. Do you really want Barbarossa? Then don't do Sealion, period. (Sealion itself is a lark, and didn't have a chance in a million of succeeding. Germany, on her best day, could not have hoped to pull it off. We've been considering adding in a more realistic approach, however. If you wipe out Russia, the Germans win the game with an overwhelming victory. How can this be so when all the Western Allies are intact? What if you were to take a theater option to start a massive buildup of transport craft, and retool industrially to produce the needed equipment for an operation like this? It would likely take 2 years or more to kick in, but then you'd have a *real* Sealion, and one that could have actually happened {if you grant the Fall of Russia}).

Now then, the USSR has to seriously look at what's happening in England as opposed to a completely "automatic" DoW... they can try to pile on if things go bad {as Mark alluded to} and crack the Axis quickly -- but they run a risk if Axis is ultimately successful.
And here's one of those things that players need to discuss prior to playing a game of EA - Are Russians allowed in the UK? I agree to NO Reds in the UK in my games, although I feel that historically, there could have been Russians there, but they would always be outnumbered by (western) Allied troops (and only if the need was *dire*). Churchill did say that if Hitler went to Hell, he (Churchill) would speak to the devil (Stalin)...

This can make quite a difference. If the Reds can navy in 2 corps per turn to bolster the UK, then Germany is boned. Thankfully, they aren't setup at start to have access to any sealanes to make this possible, but certain circumstances would make it work. (Allied Narvik, for example).

The big thing is that Germany has the initiative, and the choice is theirs. She knows what the risks are, she knows the potential costs. Do it, or don't; no one is forcing them to press the button! Is it perfect? No. But lacking the ten million events needed to recreate the nearly unlimited set of circumstances that can occur, we have to do the best we can.

And, to give you a bit more insight as to how important a few free events are:

There are a fairly large number of objectives on the map that have events linked to them. For example, there is a decent supply hit taken by the Allies if they lose the Suez Canal/Cairo region (obviously!) Same with Gibraltar and Malta. This makes perfect sense, as the Allied lake (the Med) could become an Axis lake, and any units going to Egypt/ME would have to sail all the way 'round Africa! This all works. BUT! There isn't enough events free to reverse the changes! If the Allies retook Gibraltar, Malta and the Canal, and re-established the Allied Lake, they would still be penalized as if all these objoectives were German controlled!

So, we really need to examine any suggestions that will require events, and weigh them against the current needs before implementing them!