UAV's

Tim

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reading an article in Janes saying that the air force will some day being using only UAV's for combat missions. My question is doe anyone know of program for remote control tanks.

markoy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Tim
Reading an article in Janes saying that the air force will some day being using only UAV's for combat missions. My question is doe anyone know of program for remote control tanks.
Tim

I read your post again and noticed no one had bothered to reply. The answer to query is ... I do not know.

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The USAF has used UAVs to attack targets with some success. You will likely see an expansion of these kinds of projects in the near future.

There are number of problems though. The most interesting being what you might call "age ignorance." A number of programs for the military can not be fulfilled with the current force. Only the most recent soldiers are skilled at handling virtual reality. Studies show older people have a more difficult time processing and accepting computer generated images and data as true. Young kids, on the other hand, today appear more capable accepting virtual reality and most importantly, the level of detachment created by using sensor only systems.

The main problem with an "all UAV" force is detachment. Sensors can't replace the human brain. You're less likely to screw up if your butt is on the line. Also, the detachment can dehumanize the reality of war. Killing becomes more easy when you see it on television. Even though a pilot probably never sees people running from a building about to be hit. He can look outside his canopy and see the cars, maybe a nearby swingset, or park. These things keep the pilot attached to the situation, allowing him to make better decisions about targets.

I believe Jane's is correct. Sensors will replace pilots. And while I'm all for any program that protect soldier's lives, I do have doubts about the wider implications of such a program.

Sorry for not replying sooner. Flu season

Dog 1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From Janes " The US Army has taken delivery of a small number of Wiesel's for use in extensive Robotic trials."

so it is being looked at ,at least

:nofear: :flag:

Last edited: