U15 Battle for the Warta Line

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Jim B (Sparafucil3) and I wrapped up the second in the U Scenario series this morning in a bit of a nail biter finish of Battle for the Warta Line. The Poles need to defend the length of Board 5 and 3 preventing the Germans from exiting 16+ VP of the east edge of Board 3. The Poles have 13 elite squads, a 9-2, 9-1, and two 8-0s supported by 2 MMG, 3 ATR and some 80+ battalion mortar OBA with scarce ammunition. The Poles also get 18 wire with which to try and mess up the German approaches, 8 foxholes and a 1+3+5 pillbox.

The German bring along sixteen 468 SS (but not SS except for broken morale purposes), a 9-2, two 9-1s, two 8-1s and an 8-0 backed by six LMGs, two MMGs, two Pz IB, an SdKfz 7 pulling a 75* Inf gun and 100+ OBA with plentiful ammunition. That all seems like a lot of firepower but a good portion of the approach is either woods, making the use of the Inf gun and OBA problematic, or open ground, potentially exposing the German infantry to early losses from the Polish positions.

I set up a bit too much to the right of centre in case Jim did attack along the north but was (barely) able to sprint enough of the center-right flank back to the manor house on board 3 to make a fight of it in the nearby woods. Other troops used the village road to cross to the left and get set up along the map edge where Jim was aiming to exit. Using the OBA was tricky and it was more threat than reality. The OBA did bag a Pz I with the second tank being killed by an ATR.

I made a major OOPs when I exposed the 9-2 and two squads to a 4 FP -2 attack that ended facing a 2KIA with random selection killing all three units. It was looking pretty grim by the end of Polish turn 6 but the clock was winding down on the Germans despite their having ample exit VP in range of the map edge. In the end I got just enough troops into the right locations to put just enough FP into the exit routes. Add to this Jim rolling just bad enough for just enough of his troops to pin or break against a series of 4 FP -1 and -2 attacks. The final nail came with a 2 FP -3 that K/2'd the German 9-2 and 468,... this time the RS dr hurt Jim as both movers were clipped.

A close run finish.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I threw it. Gerry plaid well. I cocked up the end-game. -- jim

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Battle For The Warta Line is probabl;y one of the very best of the Updated SL Series scenarios. I've played it several times and have always come out to be a very close game. The substitution of 468 SS for the original 658 SS have had very little impact on the bacic scenario and as such was a very good adaptation of the original.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Battle For The Warta Line is probabl;y one of the very best of the Updated SL Series scenarios. I've played it several times and have always come out to be a very close game. The substitution of 468 SS for the original 658 SS have had very little impact on the bacic scenario and as such was a very good adaptation of the original.
Always enjoyed this one.😊