Two Rules Questions

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Die Gurkha Die and Burn Gurkha Burn yesterday and two rules questions came up.

1. A squad successfully ambushes and kills the enemy in close combat. It can now do ambush withdrawal. If he withdraws to a higher level woods hex, is he now CX'ed? It seems to me that he is not, that nowhere under withdrawal does it say anything about circumstances in which a unit is CX'ed, just that the location be accessible.

2. A concealed squad with a DC assault moves into a non-open ground hex and places the DC in an adjacent hex. Does the squad lose concealment? Placing the DC is a movement action, and all within the assault move, so it might not. On the other hand, would it be considered an "other" action rather than a movement action, under the concealment loss chart?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
1. A squad successfully ambushes and kills the enemy in close combat. It can now do ambush withdrawal. If he withdraws to a higher level woods hex, is he now CX'ed?
Yes, A11.21.

pitman said:
2. A concealed squad with a DC assault moves into a non-open ground hex and places the DC in an adjacent hex. Does the squad lose concealment?
Yes; placement of a DC is usage of a SW which is covered under any other action clause.

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pitman said:
1. A squad successfully ambushes and kills the enemy in close combat. It can now do ambush withdrawal. If he withdraws to a higher level woods hex, is he now CX'ed? It seems to me that he is not, that nowhere under withdrawal does it say anything about circumstances in which a unit is CX'ed, just that the location be accessible.
Yes, IMO. Even though not specifically mentioned in A11.41, it seems to me that the Withdrawal mechanics would be the same as A11.21; thus, it would be CX.

pitman said:
2. A concealed squad with a DC assault moves into a non-open ground hex and places the DC in an adjacent hex. Does the squad lose concealment? Placing the DC is a movement action, and all within the assault move, so it might not. On the other hand, would it be considered an "other" action rather than a movement action, under the concealment loss chart?
IMO, Placing a DC is movement; i.e. you expend MF in your Location, so it would not be considered an "other action". As long as you are not in Open Ground, have declared Assault Movement, and do not expend too many MF, I see no reason why you would lose concealment.

Regards,
Bruce Bakken

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
bebakken said:
IMO, Placing a DC is movement; i.e. you expend MF in your Location, so it would not be considered an "other action". As long as you are not in Open Ground, have declared Assault Movement, and do not expend too many MF, I see no reason why you would lose concealment.
Unofficial Q&A disagrees:
A12.14, A12.141 & D9.31 Does a concealed unit using Assault Movement to Recover a SW or Place a DC loses concealment for these activities? Does a concealed unit combining Assault Movement with Armored Assault to enter an Open Ground hex lose concealment?

A. Yes, per Concealment Table Case C, assuming the enemy satisfies the conditions for case C. No.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not agree that A11.21 necessitates placing a CX counter on a withdrawing unit. It only says that a withdrawing unit can move into even a hex into which advancing would require a CX; it does not say that the WITHDRAWING unit becomes CXed. Is there an official ruling about this anywhere?

Re the DC placing Q&A--what is the source of the answer in this Q&A?

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
pitman said:
I do not agree that A11.21 necessitates placing a CX counter on a withdrawing unit. It only says that a withdrawing unit can move into even a hex into which advancing would require a CX; it does not say that the WITHDRAWING unit becomes CXed. Is there an official ruling about this anywhere?
It says "even if it requires placement of a CX counter " - not "even if it would require...". That's an important difference. Since it requires placement of a CX counter, you must place it.

Re the DC placing Q&A--what is the source of the answer in this Q&A
I don't know, but I found another one, from the '96 Annual:
A12.141 Is dropping a SW or taking a NTC to detonate a Set DC a concealment-loss activity? Is Placing a DC (or attempting to place SMOKE grenades) a "?"-loss activity even if the unit is using Assault Movement?

A. No. Yes. {96}
Note that the things that is not a ?-loss activity has generally been added to the 2.ed charts as exceptions to the "any other activity".