Two questions

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two questions came up today while playing. I would very much appreciate a rules reference. Thanks in advance.
1. Squad moves adjacent to enemy squad which first fires to no effect. My squad moves away (2 hex) from enemy squad which subsequent first fires at my squad. I thought that you couldn’t fire at a target farther away than the one you first fired at.
2. Multi hex fire group with a leader in one hex fires and rolls doubles. Does the fire group cower or can the leader prevent this from occurring?
Both of the above run counter to my expectation, but what do I know?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
1. You can shoot as long as the target is within normal range and there are no other friendly units, good order or otherwise that is closer to the firer.

2. A leader can’t direct the FG unless there is a leader in each hex. Do Random Selection to decide who cowered.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. A8.3 The restriction is that the unit can't SFF at a range greater than the closest known enemy unit. As in currently closest. It doesn't really have anything to do with the range that it fired at first.

2. A7.9 and A7.531 A leader can not direct a multi-location FG and so can not prevent cowering.

Seth

igycrctl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the info. Learned something new in 1, and will have to let my opponent know about 2.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The whole FG cowers the one or two columns, you use RS to see which unit(s) (and its SWs) is marked with a Prep or Final Fire counter.
Just an addenda to this... The FP of the whole FG cowers, but the leader does prevent any units under his direction (the folks in his location) from cowering. That is, Random Selection for who gets Final Fired is done from those able cower, only.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just an addenda to this... The FP of the whole FG cowers, but the leader does prevent any units under his direction (the folks in his location) from cowering. That is, Random Selection for who gets Final Fired is done from those able cower, only.
That is incorrect (note part in red text). If the Leader cannot direct the entire FG, he cannot direct a portion of it either. If the shot cowers, the RS to determine who/what is determined to have cowered is from all units in the FG, including those stacked with the leader.

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For real??? I'm playing wrong. DAMN! Can I request a second opinion? (Also obviously units inherently exempt are not in the cower selection. So not _all_ units.)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
No. Either the whole firegroup is directed or it is not. If the whole firegroup is not directed, all units are eligible for cowering (unless the unit itself immune to cowering, e.g. SMCs--heros, or leaders with SW, fanatics, halftracks) even if there is a leader in one or more locations. Leaders that are merely in a location but not participating with a firegroup do not affect the firegroup [EXC: a leader in a location with green troops will prevent those units from causing double-cowering A19.3]

KR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No. Either the whole firegroup is directed or it is not. If the whole firegroup is not directed, all units are eligible for cowering (unless the unit itself immune to cowering, e.g. SMCs--heros, or leaders with SW, fanatics, halftracks) even if there is a leader in one or more locations. Leaders that are merely in a location but not participating with a firegroup do not affect the firegroup [EXC: a leader in a location with green troops will prevent those units from causing double-cowering A19.3]

KR
Thanks for bring up the exception for Green Troops, forgot about that.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
To make it 100% clear, green guys being stacked with a leader does not prevent cowering (unless directed) for themselves or for other units. It just means that those green units will not cause double-cower like conscripts. If there are other green units involved in the firegroup that are not stacked with a leader, they would induce double-cowering anyway.

JR