Two-Player DYO SASL

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been tinkering for some time with an adaptation of the SASL, DYO and CG rules for use in historical engagments involving two players.

The system I propose would allow players to select a theater of operations, nationalities, general force size, and an engagement type, all within historical parameters for the time and theater selected.

Engagements (as I presently call them to differentiate from missions or scenarios) are presented similarly to missions, e.g. in very much the same vein: hold the road, hold the town, inflict casualties, take ground, etc. Each engagement will indicate the the number of force points available (for formation purchase), entry conditions, victory conditions. The terrain available for random board selection is determined by the theater.

The OB will indicate how many points may be spent in each category: Infantry, Guns, Armor, Transport. Your opponent does not know how many points you spend in each category, until units become activated.

The system also proposes to adapt some SASL activation concepts, each player controlling his side's S? counters, activating them within historical engagement parameters and modified by the number of points he spent in each category.

That's a high-level view of my working idea.

Has anybody ever done or proposed anything like this?

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to sound like an ass, but have you looked at chapter H?

It doesn't have the mission descriptions or anything, and only has guidelines for points values per side, such as 1.5-2 for an attack vs prepared defense...

Generally you select your forces after defining the terrain and general mission. Each side purchases in secret and gets setup as defined before purchases.

If you want to borrow the pre-made companies and whatnot from SASL, go ahead. With the added neat-o effect of buying better or worse squads to represent vets or noobs. Fewer or more squads for losses or reinforced status for this attack. Think you need some engineers or sappers or commandos, then buy em'... Or go whole hog and get all three for something like 6x BPV of the squad.

Rarity factor and the availability tables work well to limit the available AFV/Guns to the time frame... Panthers and Tigers in '39 are right out!

WBRP

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...and don't forget the boost to Chapter H in GENERAL 24(1) GOING ALL OUT: Design Your Own (My Way) by Greg Schmittgens and, Mr SASL himself, Charles Kibler. You'll see a lot of nascent SASL therein:
- random date/front/nationality/posture/weather
- board generator
- mapboard objective hexes
- six types of scenario (think SASL Mission), each with 11 possible VCs (determined by DR)

I think 2-man SASL is a great idea, if only for the fun of having REs & Command rules in place. I think the CG aspect is to have each player start with a core company and then have additional units depending on the scenario.