Two Olden Goldies Really Are Hard To Put Down - the CH Reprint of Issue 1 and 3

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
My CH issue 1 and 2 turned up last night and geez :)- for the new guys - really nice products and a good buy just for the endless, unable to put down, articles :smoke:

I did have old ebay copies from the past and did read the articles but just to see them again reminded me of how nice these mags were

Lots of names in them too of people that we now see in the Forum etc as the Gronads of ASL:clown:

Just to revew in little detail - between the two mags there is a dozen must read (probably 5 ultimate reads) and 25 scenarios (some of the best for all time)
Issue 1 articles - a real must read there is the ASL for begginers and for those going from Sk to ASL - this is not the article - its more the article of even what to do tactics wise in both SK and ASL as "ten commandment" level tactics, also I always loved that article on the Kriegsmarine and I love the little forgotten vehicle (must did out that CH pack with that vehicle in it).
Issue 1 scenarios - two famous must plays are there of course :yummy:
The Predators - a real slugfest of a scenario Ruskie vs German
and
Green Hell - possibly one the best PTO ever and definetly a must play PTO for those choosing the jungle path :crosseye: (I loooove canister!!!!)

Issue 2 articles - what can I say - the RB stuff is just mind blowing for the upcoming VOTG - tactics in RB is done once I think here in the forum ( a series of posts) and in this mag! and gosh - I never win so I liked the tips :devious: to help me beat my opponents in the muck of that rubbled mess of Stalingrad :smoke:
and the "Mastering Tactics" article - is that what I was doing wrong:p

Scenario wise in Issue 2 CH15 "no farther" - a RB must has always sat there unplayed by many! - Raging furnace I have done twice, I love setting up on each other but that may not be everyones cuppa, and I have always loved "The funnies" funny tanks - dont get to use them much otherwise

So there you have it - I had a great trip down memory lane and for those newer chaps - I would buy these great mags - you cant go wrong

One little question for the famous "Maureen" from CH - I just wanted to confirm a rumour :hush: - Does Ray T really look like the chap on the cover issue 1? :laugh:and does David L really look like the Guy on issue 2 ??? (all dressed up and nowhere to go) :clown:

Rob

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>My CH issue 1 and 2 turned up last night and geez :)- for the new guys - really nice products and a good buy just for the endless, unable to put down, articles :smoke:

>I did have old ebay copies from the past and did read the articles but just to see them again reminded me of how nice these mags were

Thank you.

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Thank you"

I recently gave away my early CH's as part of the Secret Santa package I sent, hadn't looked at them in years.

I'll admit that I chuckled when I saw Wolkey's contribution to the original CH. :)

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>I'll admit that I chuckled when I saw Wolkey's contribution to the original CH.

Yup, I was in charge of the articles. Most of those articles would have been in Fire For Effect issues #7 and #8, but we merged into CH. I did submit a few scenarios from FFE contributors, but for some reason they always got published without playtesting? Go figure.

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
" but for some reason they always got published without playtesting? Go figure."

See my submission "Gift Wrapped" in CH#2.

Take a Panther away and it is much better balanced. :)

There are quite a few good articles in the early CH's IMO.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
" but for some reason they always got published without playtesting? Go figure."

See my submission "Gift Wrapped" in CH#2.

Take a Panther away and it is much better balanced. :)

There are quite a few good articles in the early CH's IMO.
Darrell,

glad to see you have some good advice.:p

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One little question for the famous "Maureen" from CH - I just wanted to confirm a rumour :hush: - Does Ray T really look like the chap on the cover issue 1? :laugh:and does David L really look like the Guy on issue 2 ??? (all dressed up and nowhere to go) :clown:

Rob
Well, Maureen is married to Ray, and he does not resemble the guy on the cover - though there is a passing resemblance to Pete Mudge - author of the Predators and Green Hell.

And sadly yes, I do resemble the rider on cover #2. :cry: I even am wearing the goggles to work in order to see through this mornings snow storms. At least that's the excuse I'm giving to my coworkers for wearing 'em. :nuts: :laugh: