Two Korean films of note at Blockbuster "My Way" and "The Front Line"

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I watched both on successive evenings this week. The latter is the better one about a Korean unit during the final days of the Korean War. Much like "Pork Chop Hill" with a Korean twist.

The second one is good and bad. It is about a Korean and Japanese youth on the eve of WWII who compete as marathon runners (Olympic thread for this post?). The harsh occupation and subjugation of the Koreans is well done and when they riot some end up at the battle of Khalkhin Gol. The battle scenes despite good CGI are a bit unrealistic but exciting. The Japanese youth is now a fanatic major and hates his former rival, a force conscripted private.

The implausible soon begins with both as Russian prisoners in a labor camp, then as Russian conscripts and finally as Axis conscripts in an Ost Battalion at Normandy. All supposedly based on real events (right).

Both worth watching as long as you can stand subtitles (some people can't).

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if it is available at Blockbuster or not, but check out the 2008 Korean film The Good, The Bad, The Weird. It will blow your mind...spaghetti western meets martial arts meets Indiana Jones...insanesly fun film. Caught it on IFC one night.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I watched both on successive evenings this week. The latter is the better one about a Korean unit during the final days of the Korean War. Much like "Pork Chop Hill" with a Korean twist.

The second one is good and bad. It is about a Korean and Japanese youth on the eve of WWII who compete as marathon runners (Olympic thread for this post?). The harsh occupation and subjugation of the Koreans is well done and when they riot some end up at the battle of Khalkhin Gol. The battle scenes despite good CGI are a bit unrealistic but exciting. The Japanese youth is now a fanatic major and hates his former rival, a force conscripted private.

The implausible soon begins with both as Russian prisoners in a labor camp, then as Russian conscripts and finally as Axis conscripts in an Ost Battalion at Normandy. All supposedly based on real events (right).

Bought My Way and you're spot on with your review. I want to get Front Line as soon as it goes on sale from Blockbuster.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
All supposedly based on real events (right).
There was indeed a poor bastard who was conscripted by the Japanese and captured by the Russians.
Then drafted by the Russians and captured by the Germans.
Then drafted by the Germans and captured by the Americans.

IIRC he emigrated to the USA after the war.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
"Tae Guk Gi" was excellent also and compares well with "The Front Line". One thing that this war move buff has noticed is that female snipers are now de jure in such films (they are in both). Goes back to "Full Metal Jacket".

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Watched "My Way", a bit melodramatic but I found it very enjoyable.

Thanks,
Rich

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if it is available at Blockbuster or not, but check out the 2008 Korean film The Good, The Bad, The Weird. It will blow your mind...spaghetti western meets martial arts meets Indiana Jones...insanesly fun film. Caught it on IFC one night.

Semper Fi!
Scott
This is an excellent and funny movie... well worth the time.
Best regards,:salute:
John

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Walmart also carries "My Way" and "The Front Line" for under $13.00 each (My Way should be in stock now). A Korean, Yang Kyoung Jong, was captured in a German uniform by the Americans on D-Day - the movie is supposedly based on his story. Agree on the "melodramatics", but I attribute that in part to the cinematic style of the Korean filmmakers. Found both films very entertaining, depicting actions I hadn't seen before. I missed "Tae Guk Gi" when it came out but will probably run down a copy now that my interest is piqued.