Two dates to remember for February

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
February 17, 1944 - U.S. carrier strike on Truk, to start cracking Japan's inner defensive perimeter.

February 19, 1945 - Iwo Jima assault landing. "Uncommon valor was a common virtue." - Admiral Chester Nimitz

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Operation VERITABLE would seem to have more application to ASL, another famous February date.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the more regular posters did try to create an Iwo Jima module (not that which should not be named), II

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of the more regular posters did try to create an Iwo Jima module (not that which should not be named), II
I'm thinking of more of a campaign module. I suppose the island of Iwo Jima is too big for the whole island to be mapped but I would still like to see it from the invasion onward.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A map of Iwo Jima in ASL scale would be about 200 hexes long by about 100 hexes wide. Very roughly.

JR

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A bug hunt on the standard 2 geoboard set up is tedious enough, I couldn't imagine bug hunting with 5,000 squads on a pool table size map.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah I know, the entire island would be too much, however, the landing area and then later parts of the interior I would expect to be doable. After all, a bunch of HASLs are done on Normandy.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that's the conundrum of portraying late PTO battles (and a few early ones such as Tarawa) in ASL, taking an interesting historical engagement while giving both sides an interesting and interactive experience game wise. The battles, though very interesting in themselves, were just slugging matches with very little movement by the Japanese side. If one really enjoys setting up a defense and then basically sitting back and seeing if the Allies can crack it, they'll have fun. However, seldom have I seen that many players that enjoy primarily sitting back and letting the other guy do the vast majority of maneuver. This is certainly borne out by simply looking at the amount of play Kakazu Ridge scenarios (or others of the same vein) get. They certainly can be fun but the majority of the time the Japanese player finds himself moving only in tunnels/caves or shooting. Though I personally would love a scenario or two on the fighting in the Punch Bowl, I am one of those guys that enjoys setting up a defense to see what my opponent can do against it. Truth be told however and given my 'druthers (I'd 'druther do this type instead), I like a more interactive scenario more often.