Twin Cities ASL 7/14/18

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's that time of the month again! If you're in the greater Minneapolis / St. Paul area and want to get some face to face gaming in, Twin Cities ASL (TCASL) will be holding their monthly get together this Saturday, 7/14. All are welcome, regardless of skill level or experience, and we're more than happy to teach. I, for one, am looking forward to the opportunity to hide from our oppressive summer heat in cool air conditioning.

Here are the details:
Day: 7/14/18
Time: 10:00am -- whenever
Location: Fantasy Flight Games Center, 1975 County Road B2 W, Roseville, MN, 55113

I hope to see some of you there!

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Roseville? Why don't you guys just catch a direct Delta flight to Tokyo and join us? Will have a limo driver waiting for you at the gate. :cool:

One of these days I'll have to make a homecoming trip to the Twin Towns and look forward to crashing your monthly gathering. Have fun and post some photos, OK?

Cheers!

- G
Winona High School, '82
U of M, CLA '89

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roseville? Why don't you guys just catch a direct Delta flight to Tokyo and join us? Will have a limo driver waiting for you at the gate. :cool:

One of these days I'll have to make a homecoming trip to the Twin Towns and look forward to crashing your monthly gathering. Have fun and post some photos, OK?

Cheers!

- G
Winona High School, '82
U of M, CLA '89
If I'm ever in Tokyo, I'll have to take you up on that. It's fun to imagine a TCASL trip to Japan though... carry-on bags stuffed with dice, boards, and scenario cards... attempts at playing various half-board (or teeny, tiny Valor of the Guards) scenarios on tray tables during the flight... inevitably losing counters *somewhere* and spending hours trying to find that last German LMG between the seats....

...Or possibly getting thrown out by the TSA because they don't like the looks of the DC counters and don't understand that:
a) They're cardboard, and
b) It's a freakin' game.

I'll see about getting some pictures up. After all, there's no reason why you all shouldn't be able to live vicariously through us, right?

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This month's meetup was a good one!

We had @Curtis Brooks , @Eagle4ty , @Cult.44 , @Matt Boehland , @Houlie , and myself.

Curtis and I played ASL 170 "11th Company Counterattack" and ASL 162 "Armored Car Savikurki." While I frequently lose to Curtis, it's not often I have the opportunity to do so twice in one day (first as Finns, then as Russians). I learn so much playing against Curtis that it doesn't really matter whether I win or lose-- I have a wonderful time either way.

Mark and Matt were playing FT 167 "Wasp Sting" (Matt as British, Mark as German), with the game in progress when I left.

Craig and Tom got in a game as well, but unfortunately I don't recall what scenario they were playing-- some big city slugfest or another.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Craig and Tom got in a game as well, but unfortunately I don't recall what scenario they were playing-- some big city slugfest or another.
Yes, Tom Yetter and I played SP234 Teltow Two-Step. A nifty late-war scenario that sort of puts both sides on the attack. 12 x Russian squads and five tanks have to grind forward and reduce a blocking force of depleted Germans -- 6.5 squads -- whose job is to hold open a channel for turn two German reinforcements (6 x squads, 3 x SPW251, and StuH42) to make it across the canal (overlay).

Oodles of PF shots made it a tense affair, but the Russians ground down the blocking force. Actually, the Germans ground themselves down with a few MC boxcars and desperation PF MCs. The Russians made it to the main street and it was set to be Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade route with lots of shooting, er...cheering Russians. After getting adjacent to the Tiger (whose MA and CMG were malfed) with a 9-2 and 628/FT, it was apparent the parade route would be virtually impassable and the Germans decided they had enough.

Another fun game with Tom, as usual. It was great to see our good friends, Tom and Curtis, from Wisconsin. We hope to see them again very soon.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Mark and Matt were playing FT 167 "Wasp Sting" (Matt as British, Mark as German), with the game in progress when I left.
Matt's wasps had some sting early but I got one with a lucky MG shot and the other malf'd itself. The British infantry couldn't quite make progress fast enough so I got the win.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Yessir, nothing like ASL with a view of the 494 strip, huh?
Your requested photos from Tokyo are up.