Twin Cities ASL 3/9/19

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is turning to the winter that just won't die. At this point, there are two options:

1) Break out a copy of the Necronomicon, sacrifice a goat, and pray that Cthulhu will soon rise from his slumber in R'lyeh, ending the world of men, and with it the suffering caused by this winter.

2) Break out a copy of the ASL Rulebook (substantially easier reading than the Necronomicon), grab some scenarios, and come join Twin Cities ASL at Fantasy Flight Games for a day of pretending we're in a place where the only snow that matters is the stuff mentioned in E3.7.

For those interested in Option 1, I recommend a trip to either Arkham or Cambridge. Both Miskatonic and Harvard have editions (estimated 17th Century) of the Necronomicon. What you do with it once you have it in hand is your own business.

Those of us who feel that ending the world is perhaps a bit of an over the top solution to what is inherently a temporary problem are invited to join us at Fantasy Flight Games this coming Saturday, March 9. As usual, all are welcome, regardless of experience.

Details:
Day: 3/9/19
Time: 10:00am -- whenever (FFG closes at midnight)
Location: Fantasy Flight Games Center, 1975 County Road B2 W, Roseville, MN, 55113

My personal interest in scenarios at the moment boils down to two words: "Hatten" and "Stalingrad." My copy of Red Factories showed up last Friday, and I'd love an opportunity to get it on the table.

March TCASL Meeting SSRs:
1) EC are Snow, with a Mild Breeze from the NW at start. Weather is Deep Snow (E3.73), with Falling Snow (E3.71) in effect at start. Drive carefully.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is turning to the winter that just won't die. At this point, there are two options:

1) Break out a copy of the Necronomicon, sacrifice a goat, and pray that Cthulhu will soon rise from his slumber in R'lyeh, ending the world of men, and with it the suffering caused by this winter.

2) Break out a copy of the ASL Rulebook (substantially easier reading than the Necronomicon), grab some scenarios, and come join Twin Cities ASL at Fantasy Flight Games for a day of pretending we're in a place where the only snow that matters is the stuff mentioned in E3.7.

For those interested in Option 1, I recommend a trip to Arkham, MA. Miskatonic University is the closest thing we have to a local source for one of the few surviving original copies of the Necronomicon. What you do with it once you have it in hand is your own business.

Those of us who feel that ending the world is perhaps a bit of an over the top solution to what is inherently a temporary problem are invited to join us at Fantasy Flight Games this coming Saturday, March 9. As usual, all are welcome, regardless of experience.

Details:
Day: 3/9/19
Time: 10:00am -- whenever (FFG closes at midnight)
Location: Fantasy Flight Games Center, 1975 County Road B2 W, Roseville, MN, 55113

My personal interest in scenarios at the moment boils down to two words: "Hatten" and "Stalingrad." My copy of Red Factories showed up last Friday, and I'd love an opportunity to get it on the table.

March TCASL Meeting SSRs:
1) EC are Snow, with a Mild Breeze from the NW at start. Weather is Deep Snow (E3.73), with Falling Snow (E3.71) in effect at start. Drive carefully.
I'll give you a chance for redemption, pick a scenario (one you think we have a chance of finishing) and we'll take a swing at it. All indications are we should be there pending ANOTHER possible snow storm! (58" in the last few weeks & expecting more this Sat eve.-hopefully well after we get back). I'll keep ya posted!

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you guys practicing up for March Madness? Be sure to play a few scenario on our play list.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Eagle4ty-- You have yourself a game! Here's a selection of Stalingrad scenarios, all under five hours. Are there any you particularly fancy?
Code:
SCENARIO                    RECORD (Atk / Def)        EST TIME (hrs)
Bread Factory #2 [RB3]      German 160 / Soviet 137   4
Anchoring the Line [RB14]   German 5 / Soviet 5       4.7
The Playing Field [RO6]     German 3 / Soviet 4       4.6
Stone Age Caves [RO7]       Soviet 2 / German 1       4.9
@Danno-- I can only speak for myself, but unfortunately I will not be at March Madness. That happens to be a terribly busy weekend, and there's just no way I can make the trip. Best of luck to you folks! I look forward to hearing all the amazing tales!

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Eagle4ty-- You have yourself a game! Here's a selection of Stalingrad scenarios, all under five hours. Are there any you particularly fancy?
Code:
SCENARIO                    RECORD (Atk / Def)        EST TIME (hrs)
Bread Factory #2 [RB3]      German 160 / Soviet 137   4
Anchoring the Line [RB14]   German 5 / Soviet 5       4.7
The Playing Field [RO6]     German 3 / Soviet 4       4.6
Stone Age Caves [RO7]       Soviet 2 / German 1       4.9
@Danno-- I can only speak for myself, but unfortunately I will not be at March Madness. That happens to be a terribly busy weekend, and there's just no way I can make the trip. Best of luck to you folks! I look forward to hearing all the amazing tales!
Geoff, hate to have you commit as now it's looking iffy from this front. I'll drop you an email tomorrow (I know it's a late heads up and I apologize). I've tried the 1st two already (LOTS of fun) but would be willing to try RO6 if we can get together (simply because it would be the next in the order).
t.y.

Uncle_Duke

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Eagle4ty-- No worries. Given the weather outlook, I quite understand. Even if you end up not making it, it's good for me to have a plan so I don't end up bringing the proverbial kitchen sink [hmm... do they have counters for that? And are they generic allied / axis, or do we need to distinguish between French kitchen sinks and British ones?].

All-- Weather forecast is now looking like temps in the low 30s, with snow predicted starting around noon and continuing into the evening. Exact quantity is anybody's guess.

Because I live close by, I'm planning to show up if at least one other person expresses interest / availability / willingness to drive in snow. If we end up with an odd number of people, I'm more than willing to sit out as pretty much everybody's likely to be traveling a longer distance than I am.

I'll make a point of checking my e-mail, here, and the TCASL Yahoo Group around 9:30 tomorrow so that I can best respond to any last minute decisions.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Eagle4ty-- No worries. Given the weather outlook, I quite understand. Even if you end up not making it, it's good for me to have a plan so I don't end up bringing the proverbial kitchen sink [hmm... do they have counters for that? And are they generic allied / axis, or do we need to distinguish between French kitchen sinks and British ones?].

All-- Weather forecast is now looking like temps in the low 30s, with snow predicted starting around noon and continuing into the evening. Exact quantity is anybody's guess.

Because I live close by, I'm planning to show up if at least one other person expresses interest / availability / willingness to drive in snow. If we end up with an odd number of people, I'm more than willing to sit out as pretty much everybody's likely to be traveling a longer distance than I am.

I'll make a point of checking my e-mail, here, and the TCASL Yahoo Group around 9:30 tomorrow so that I can best respond to any last minute decisions.
We're in the 8-12" with 1" band with 1" and hour of falling white stuff plus a freezing rain earlier, an 80+ mile trip to play ASL is out of the question this weekend. Sorry about the miss, but maybe later this spring.

Matt Boehland

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Actually, with the time for it switching over from rain to snow being pushed to around 3pm, there's a better chance of me making it. Guessing I'd need to leave around 3:30 or 4:00 if I do make it.

Matt Boehland

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Looking pretty good for me making it. I’ll post if something changes, but otherwise youu can expect me. Might be a little late if there’s traffic, but not expecting any issues.

I plan on just bringing the same bin as last time, minus Up Front and Blood Reef Tarawa.