Twilight Of The Reich And WO #15 Are Up For Pre-Order

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
how complicated are the scenarios? I know the designers have penchant for such scenario designs. Are we talking the need to have two scenario cards per a scenario due to massive SSR's?
Hey Scott. I hope that you are doing well.

As one of the designers with a "penchant" for designing complicated scenarios I would say that the complexity ranges from pretty "meat-n-potatoes" to "advanced" ASL. The intent was to put something in the box for everyone.

Are most of the scenarios 2-pagers? Yes, as Klas and Perry have indicated, they are. Is it primarily because of a heavy use of SSRs? Not really. I will be the first to admit that the 3-player scenario and the one scenario with simultaneous set up and overlapping set up areas does have a few SSRs, but the intent was to really clarify some of the subtleties associate with these types of scenarios.

Other than that, most of the scenario SSRs are structurally very similar:

1. Environmental Conditions.
  2. Board instructions: Overlay placement, Fortified Building Locations, etc.
  3. Rubble/Debris Generation Instructions (if required).
  4. Defender considerations [if German, this includes whether "Late War SS" rules (1 new paragraph in Chapter A) are in effect, Elite (C8.2) is NA or not, etc.].
  5. Attacker considerations.
  6. Other stuff: A lot of the scenarios have H-t-H Melee (some even require it). No Quarter is in effect (a lot of the time).
  7. A couple of the scenarios have "In Game" Reinforcement Purchase Tables, which are separate from the fact that ALL scenarios include "At Start" SW/Fortification Purchase ability.
After that, for the most part, the scenarios are just plain old ASL. The large Railways and Railyards do offer some new movement/combat challenges, but nothing complicated at all.

I hope this helps.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
….might be nice for my spotted fire MTRs in RB 👍
They could potentially serve that purpose. It's just that these particular cards are scenario specific in that the Ordnance is listed and the Range to Target is always fixed for these mechanics. Sean Deller and I thought that this mechanism provided a simpler alternative to the current OBA approach. And to clarify, none of the 17 scenarios has the standard Chapter C OBA in them.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Scott. I hope that you are doing well.

As one of the designers with a "penchant" for designing complicated scenarios I would say that the complexity ranges from pretty "meat-n-potatoes" to "advanced" ASL. The intent was to put something in the box for everyone.

Are most of the scenarios 2-pagers? Yes, as Klas and Perry have indicated, they are. Is it primarily because of a heavy use of SSRs? Not really. I will be the first to admit that the 3-player scenario and the one scenario with simultaneous set up and overlapping set up areas does have a few SSRs, but the intent was to really clarify some of the subtleties associate with these types of scenarios.

Other than that, most of the scenario SSRs are structurally very similar:

1. Environmental Conditions.
  2. Board instructions: Overlay placement, Fortified Building Locations, etc.
  3. Rubble/Debris Generation Instructions (if required).
  4. Defender considerations [if German, this includes whether "Late War SS" rules (1 new paragraph in Chapter A) are in effect, Elite (C8.2) is NA or not, etc.].
  5. Attacker considerations.
  6. Other stuff: A lot of the scenarios have H-t-H Melee (some even require it). No Quarter is in effect (a lot of the time).
  7. A couple of the scenarios have "In Game" Reinforcement Purchase Tables, which are separate from the fact that ALL scenarios include "At Start" SW/Fortification Purchase ability.
After that, for the most part, the scenarios are just plain old ASL. The large Railways and Railyards do offer some new movement/combat challenges, but nothing complicated at all.

I hope this helps.
And to attempt to further clarify, the Late War SS rules are the same rules as used for the SS in the HASLs A Bridge Too Far and Festung Budapest. The NKVD are the same rules as used in VotG" The debris rules were taken from RB/VotG/Festung Budapest.

The Rail Car (printed on an overlay and/or in counter form) rules are 95% similar to the ones used in Festung Buda[pest and VotG. There are some Backblast/HEAT type clarification, etc.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Bill for that info. Will keep my eyes on ebay to see if anyone is selling just the maps, scenarios and overlays, dont need the box, I have the rules and counters (can make the admin stuff which aint much).

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Bill for that info. Will keep my eyes on ebay to see if anyone is selling just the maps, scenarios and overlays, dont need the box, I have the rules and counters (can make the admin stuff which aint much).
Scott,

Sounds like an approach that works for you. BTW, there are Rail Car counters, not sure if you'll want those or not.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just picked mine up. Looks very cool.