TV Westerns

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Tom DeFranco
About what time? I'm in the same time zone as you.

I believe it is on around 230am or 300am. Its been a while since I have really sat down and watched tv cause of work.

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think anyone has mentioned Cisco Kid and Pancho. The final clip of each episode where they ride off laughing is memorable. Guess not many old guys like me here to remember these programs. Oh, also, anyone old enough to remember the 15 minute serials like Zorro and Crusader Rabbit?
:D

Reaction score
Hey I just thought of one that was pretty good, "The Guns of Will Sonnett". Walter Brennan as the aging gunfighter just trying to grow old in peace and not being able to do so. With one of the best lines of all time,....."No brag, just fact".........

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by tadcar
I don't think anyone has mentioned Cisco Kid and Pancho. The final clip of each episode where they ride off laughing is memorable. Guess not many old guys like me here to remember these programs. Oh, also, anyone old enough to remember the 15 minute serials like Zorro and Crusader Rabbit?

I have two dogs named Cisco and Pancho. Them two are inseperable

BigMik1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by tadcar
I miss some of the old westerns that used to be on weekly on television like Maverick, Sugarfoot, Cheyenne, etc. Do any of you oldsters remember them?
My wife is hooked on just two of them....Bonanza and Big Valley. I love Gunsmoke and Rawhide.

BigMik1

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Joi Lansing on Sugarfoot

Does anyone remember Joi Lansing on Sugarfoot? To me she was one of the most beautiful stars of that era?

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: TV Westerns

Originally posted by BigMik1
My wife is hooked on just two of them....Bonanza and Big Valley. I love Gunsmoke and Rawhide.

BigMik1
Dan Blocker had a son who starred on several TV series. Was one of them Tour of Duty?

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one mentioned it, even "The Wild, Wild West" had its moments. It was certainly better than the sorry movie of the same name...........

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wyatt Earp (Tombstone is one of my favorite movies)
Bat Masterson
Have Gun, Will Travel
Gunsmoke

How the West Was Won / The Macahans - 1970's James Arness series.

Gunsmoke Note: William Conrad (Cannon, Jake and the Fat Man) was the radio voice of Matt Dillon. Many fans were outraged that he did not get the TV role, not realizing he weighed about 400 lbs.
James Arness was a good friend of John Wayne and co-starred with the Duke in "Big Jim McClain" as a couple of Commie hunters in 1950's Hawaii - sort of a prequel to Hawaii 50.

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From the Internet Movie Data Base:

imdb.com

Biography for
James Arness

Birth name
James Aurness
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Height
6' 7" (2.01 m)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spouse
Janet Surtrees (1978 - present)
Virginia Chapman (1949 - 1960) (divorced) 2 sons, 1 daughter

Trivia
Honorary United States Marshal, "In recognition of his unique contribution to the Image and Traditions of the U.S. Marshal's Service"

Became "Matt Dillon", the US Marshal on "Gunsmoke" after John Wayne, originally offered the role, turned it down and suggested Arness to play the role.

Brother of actor Peter Graves.

His daughter, Jenny, committed suicide in 1975.

Wounded in Italy in World War II.

He was the tallest actor to ever play a lead role.

According to an article on TV westerns in Time Magazine (March 30, 1959), Arness stood 6' 7", weighed 235 lbs, and had chest-waist-hips measurements of 48-36-36

Arness was one of the first to hit the beaches at Anzio, Italy during WWII due to his height.

Inducted (as a cast member of "Gunsmoke") into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1981.

On June 20, 2003, James Arness was honored at Los Angeles City Hall by the Mayor, the 15 city council members, and the city attorney with a resolution honoring his life's work as an actor and 60 year resident of Los Angeles. The colorful resolution included a depiction of a U.S. Marshall's badge and a salute to his work as Matt Dillon on "Gunsmoke" and its over 20 year duration as TV's longest running drama series. It also recalled his heroism during World War Two and thanked him for "leaving us with one of the most telling and realistic portraits ever created of the brave, tall man in the saddle who tames a western town as he searches for justice and peace." Arness called it "the most wonderful day in his life" and says the resolution is now framed and in a prominent place in his home. By the way, he received a standing ovation that morning.

Held the record for the longest continuous role portrayed by a single actor (20 years) on prime-time television (for Marshal Matt Dillon on the CBS western 'Gunsmoke'), until Kelsey Grammer (Dr. Frasier Crane on "Cheers" and "Frasier") tied the record in 2004 (at 20 years).

Was rightly touted as the tallest Leading Man in Hollywood, although this title has since been taken by other stars, mainly basketball players turned "actors."

Member of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity