TV Westerns

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
Ken Berry, as Capt. Wilton Parmenter, in F Troop. US Army in Fort Courage, smewhere west of the Missouri River.
"The end of the civil war was near
When quite accidentally,
An officer sneezed and yelled retreat
And retreated right into a victory!"

What were the Indians called? Hiyakowie, or something like that.

That was a great show!

JS

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janos
"The end of the civil war was near
When quite accidentally,
An officer sneezed and yelled retreat
And retreated right into a victory!"

What were the Indians called? Hiyakowie, or something like that.

That was a great show!

JS
Hakowies, Heckowies, as in, "Where da heck ah we?"

"Where Indian fights
Are colorful sights,
And nobody takes a lickin'.
Where redskin and paleface both turn chicken."

Reaction score
Originally posted by terry patterson
the one i was thinking of had tim conway as a texas ranger.i must have gotten f-troop mixed up in there somehow.
Did a quick dig on Tim Conway's TV career, and didn't find anything where is was on any westerns, regular or guest. Don't consider this authoritative, it was a quick check. However, he did do western comedy films. Maybe it was one of those?

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by RichardS
He also played professional baseball for a time too! :D

Cheers!
:toast:

:armed:
He played firstbase for the Dodgers. Many baseball people say that he was a lot better actor than a ballplayer!!
;)

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pistol jerkers

I remember the real old westerns starring Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Lone Ranger etc. when the gunmen jerked their weapons up before they pulled the trigger. Don't recall any buzzards falling dead though!
:banana:

tadcar

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BRANDED not rifleman,BRANDED is the one were he was a former military officer.off with the buttons.throw the hat ,break the sword,bittercreek,all that .
Branded, I stand corrected! As the Rifleman, Chuck Connors had a son. I forgot who played him.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by tadcar
He played firstbase for the Dodgers. Many baseball people say that he was a lot better actor than a ballplayer!!
;)
Well, back than you had to be pretty darn good to get into the major leagues at all. I grant Chuck Connors might have been a better actor though. And Branded was one of my favorite series too.

Cheers!

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by tadcar
I miss some of the old westerns that used to be on weekly on television like Maverick, Sugarfoot, Cheyenne, etc. Do any of you oldsters remember them?
:D
Unlike Combat, The Rat Patrol, anf Twelve O'Clock High, which played during the sixties, my recollection of the specifics of Western shows like Maverick, Wanted: Dead or Alive, Sugarfoot, The Lawman, Cheyenne, Wagon Train, The Rifleman, The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickock (starring Guy Madison in the lead role, a personal friend of my Dad during WW II), Wyatt Earp, and Johnny Yuma is a lot more vague. Few of those shows played into the sixties, as I recall.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Originally posted by RichardS
Well, back than you had to be pretty darn good to get into the major leagues at all. I grant Chuck Connors might have been a better actor though. And Branded was one of my favorite series too.

Cheers!

As I recall, he played 1st base for the Cubs, and at the time (while the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn) LA had a minor league team affiliated with the Cubs. Mr. Wrigley owned a good chunk of Catalina Island. I guess he was sent back to the minors and quit baseball not long afterwards because of baseball injuries.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
the one i was thinking of had tim conway as a texas ranger.i must have gotten f-troop mixed up in there somehow.
There was one where Tim Conway played a Texas Ranger. Like all of the shows he ever did where he was cast in the lead (sitcoms and variety shows) it lasted exactly 13 weeks (the minimum amount of weeks a show could be under contract for. Conway used to have a license plate that read "13weeks". Surprisingly, his greatest successes came as part of ensemble casts - McHale's Navy and The Carol Burnett Show.

Everyone was right on about F-Troop. It starred Forrest Tucker and Sgt. O'Rourke, Larry Storch as Cpl. Agarn (Larry Storch was the Kevin Bacon of his time - everybody in Hollywood did some movie or show with Larry Storch in it), Ken Berry as Capt. Wilton Parmenter, a very cute blond who played Jane, Parmenter's love interest (she was like 16 at the time), there was a guy who played Cpl. Dobbs, the bugler who couldn't do a bugle call to save his life (his name was James something or other and was in just about every 1970s Burt Reynolds movie except for Deliverance), finally there was an old time cowboy actor who played a guy named Duffy, I think. He kept claiming to be the only survivor of the Alamo.

The gist of the show was that O'Rourke, Agarn and the Indian chief all had a moneymaking venture (O'Rourke Enterprises, as I recall) unbeknownst to Capt. Parmenter. Of course, the Indians would never attacked unless some outside force dictated and Capt. Parmenter looked like a hero all the time, which was just fine with everyone so long as it didn't interfere with O'Rourke Enterprises' profit.

Reaction score
Of all the shows mentioned I'd have to vote for "Have Gun Will Travel" with Richard Boone as Paladin. I just thought he was very scary. He spoke so soft and menacing.

One no one has mentioned is "Wagon Train" with Ward Bond as the trail boss, that was pretty good too.

Reaction score
Have Gun Will Travel reads the card of a man.
A knight without armor in a savage land.

His fast gun for hire head's the calling wind.
A soldier of fotune is the man called Paladin.

Paladin, Paladin
Where do you roam?
Paladin, Paladin,
Far, far from home.