TV shows NOT to watch

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh Soggy one-

"My point is that bad decisions were made in the 1950's. Had the right decisions been made things would be quite different and, I think, better."

I would agree but I'd argue this from the opposite end. The Interstate system should have been reserved for the trucks alone. Trucking is the conduit through which our entire economy passes and dedicating the road infrastructure would have solved many problems.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to watch:

1. Soccer
2. Hockey
3. Ice Skating
4. Pro Wrestling
5. Spelling Bees
6. NASCAR
7. Big 10 football, unless it's OSU vs. UM
8. NBA - regular season
9. WNBA
10. Any other women's sports

To watch:

1. Gonzaga basketball
2. NFL football
3. ACC basketball
4. Pac-10 football
5. SEC football
6. NBA playoffs
7. ESPN News HD
8. Mariners baseball
9. Yankees vs. Red Sox
10. Poker - Main event

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not to watch:

5. Spelling Bees
Yeah...unless your kid is in one (like mine was recently). :D

Then there was the funny clip from this week's National Spelling Bee where the word was "numnah" and the kid thought they said "numbnut". :laugh::nuts:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would agree but I'd argue this from the opposite end. The Interstate system should have been reserved for the trucks alone. Trucking is the conduit through which our entire economy passes and dedicating the road infrastructure would have solved many problems.
Ohio periodically proposes a dedicated trucking infrastructure to supplement I-80 & get the trucks off the Turnpike. I think they usually envision using railroad right of ways or something, but nothing ever actually happens. Gives the politicos something to talk about I guess they can't do any real harm.

My guess is if they'd have segregated trucking from passenger traffic, you'd end up with 2 systems running in parallel to some extent. Not sure of the relative merits, but it would be different...

Just for kicks - what is the approximate cost to the shipee to have a load taken across the country? Or just 1,000 miles? Just wondering what the cost adders from trucking are for most products.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ohio periodically proposes a dedicated trucking infrastructure to supplement I-80 & get the trucks off the Turnpike. I think they usually envision using railroad right of ways or something, but nothing ever actually happens. Gives the politicos something to talk about I guess they can't do any real harm.

Kinda like the I-271 'Express lanes'. Not for trucks exclusively, but they tend to carry mainly freight traffic running from I-90 to I-480.

Expand on that, and it could be the best of both worlds.

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

My guess is if they'd have segregated trucking from passenger traffic, you'd end up with 2 systems running in parallel to some extent. Not sure of the relative merits, but it would be different...

Just for kicks - what is the approximate cost to the shipee to have a load taken across the country? Or just 1,000 miles? Just wondering what the cost adders from trucking are for most products.
If they used the railway right of ways, I'd be seriously disappointed, because there is an old, but cool-looking railroad bridge that runs parallel to the 'Pike, out by Toledo, that they'd have to tear down to put up a new one.

Love seeing that bridge ...

Brien

Darrell Andersen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Just for kicks - what is the approximate cost to the shipee to have a load taken across the country?"

For just dry freight, no special requirements say California to NJ, you're going to be looking at something in the neighborhood of $2500-$3000 + fuel surcharge which is curently running 71 cents a mile. This is for roughly 45,000 lbs of palletized freight.

"Or just 1,000 miles? Just wondering what the cost adders from trucking are for most products."

This is where it really gets dicey. Different regions of the country get different rates depending on origin and destination. For example I'm getting $2.10-$2.40 a mile going to the east coast from Iowa but coming back in the same lane in some cases is less than $1 mile. All of this does not include fuel.

The "spot" market can swing wildly for "one off" type shipments as well.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The Interstate system should have been reserved for the trucks alone. Trucking is the conduit through which our entire economy passes and dedicating the road infrastructure would have solved many problems.
So now you want to segregate cars from the "real" traffic? I see. Sounds like pedestrian traffic is to be ghettoized.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Darryll gave excellent examples for costs. My last job was as a Logistics Manager for a major tire company...I had aprox. 50 loads total going out each day from 5 shipping centers across the country...my annual budget was $35 million, and I spent every single penny each year (and then some). Freight is the largest expense of any distribution business...my budget was larger than all other departments combined, aprox. 55% of the total budget. With the sky-rocketing fuel costs, it's no wonder Americans are feeling the pinch not just at the gas pump, but at the grocery store as well.

Darryll and I worked together a little before I left for "greener pastures"...the worst customer service I've ever had to suffer through...ugh... :bite::p:nuts::laugh:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the $ figures - fairly expensive, but I guess if you've got enough products to split the costs over, it's not too bad. Going to be interesting if we're headed to $5 gas if the railroads start to make a resurgence somewhat...

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Holy crap Batman - there's a Hitler Channel?????

I can't tell if this one is serious or not, if it is, I am truly impressed and appaled in equal measure. If it' s not, well, you got me :)
its the colloquial name for the History Channel - cause that's all they seem to show.

You know, a bit like calling Poms whingers.

:clown:
I like to call it the stock footage channel - wonderful how they roll out the France '40 shots of Pzr 38t's in summer when doing a Battle of the Bulge piece. In general, way too much WWII coverage.

History International is a little better seems like.

Oh for the early 90's days of TLC before it got sexed up:
-History of the Mongols
-History of the World
-Connections
-The Day the Universe Changed

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the $ figures - fairly expensive, but I guess if you've got enough products to split the costs over, it's not too bad. Going to be interesting if we're headed to $5 gas if the railroads start to make a resurgence somewhat...
And in many, many cases, the shipments being made are of thousands of smaller items (think trailer loads of canned tuna, peas, etc.) ... so the per unit cost to ship might be a nickel or less.

The "problem" is when that nickel is added to the end product, and the price point is such that the increase causes a price jump in excess of "inflation" ... people get weirded out over it.

An increase of a nickel on a can of green beans currently priced at 75 cents is a 6.67% increase ... nearly triple the inflation rate. Do that on enough of the CPI "market basket" items, and the end effect "looks bad", when the end effect might only be a dollar or two at the actual cash register.

Brien

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They have a Special Ed Spelling Bee? :p
In California the challenge is to spell difficult words...in Louisiana the challenge is to find any branches on your family tree. :p:nuts::laugh:

Semper Fi!
Scott

Barber

Official Mila 18 Dork
Reaction score
I thought we had that once, they were called railroads. Then the feds let the RRs consolidate, decide what they were going to haul, when and where they were going to haul. Voila! The trucking business was born or at least multiplied.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In California the challenge is to spell difficult words...in Louisiana the challenge is to find any branches on your family tree. :p:nuts::laugh:

Semper Fi!
Scott
Branches? :hmmm: