Turnscrew map

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those of you who have printed the Turnscrew map I have questions!
About to print my brother's copy for him (not sure why I have to do this... but that's another thread) and I just looked at the PDF for the first time.
The PDF has 10 pages, the first page seems to be the complete map is that right? A-Y 1-22 ??
The other 9 pages are a 3x3 grid of smaller subsets of that map?

So I can just take it to my favorite printing store and say print page 1 in actual size? Can anyone tell me exactly what size that is in inches?

We used to have a large format printer at work but I think we lost it... so I'm probably just going to the closest office store, maybe they can laminate it too while I'm at it.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the large one-piece map printed at 100% prints out 1" hexes. The map 'pieces' are so you can print at home on a regular printer and piece them together, a neat idea that Al Cannamore came up with.

Tom

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About to print my brother's copy for him (not sure why I have to do this... but that's another thread) and I just looked at the PDF for the first time.
The PDF has 10 pages, the first page seems to be the complete map is that right? A-Y 1-22 ??

So I can just take it to my favorite printing store and say print page 1 in actual size? Can anyone tell me exactly what size that is in inches?

We used to have a large format printer at work but I think we lost it... so I'm probably just going to the closest office store, maybe they can laminate it too while I'm at it.
Take it to FedEx/Kinkos and ask them to print it on the outside banner material. Doug Sheppard recommended that to me and it is great for HASL maps. It’s a nice sturdy plastic type material so no lamination needed and it won’t rip like paper

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Take it to FedEx/Kinkos and ask them to print it on the outside banner material. Doug Sheppard recommended that to me and it is great for HASL maps. It’s a nice sturdy plastic type material so no lamination needed and it won’t rip like paper
Thanks Bill I will look into that for sure.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Because your fine upstanding brother bought Dinant so we could play that and your cheap *** didn't.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Bill I will look into that for sure.
cost me about $25 at FedEx Kinkos to get it done. Note that there will be A LOT OF RUBBLE. I used the paper rubble overlays Bill Cirillo made available for download as part of FB. Enjoy, this is a good one

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
cost me about $25 at FedEx Kinkos to get it done. Note that there will be A LOT OF RUBBLE. I used the paper rubble overlays Bill Cirillo made available for download as part of FB. Enjoy, this is a good one
I remember assisting with some aerial photographs while the HASL was under development. Basically, Rees was a pile of Rubble and the unmodified map looks much more 'in order' than the place looked like. I don't know how the rubble placement works in this one, but if it is done before the games starts it might be a good idea to have the rubble placed & printed with the map (I think there is a VASL map available for this one which has been used during playtesting).

For those interested to get an impression of Rees, see here and here (and the following posts of those links).

von Marwitz

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I remember assisting with some aerial photographs while the HASL was under development. Basically, Rees was a pile of Rubble and the unmodified map looks much more 'in order' than the place looked like. I don't know how the rubble placement works in this one, but if it is done before the games starts it might be a good idea to have the rubble placed & printed with the map (I think there is a VASL map available for this one which has been used during playtesting).

For those interested to get an impression of Rees, see here and here (and the following posts of those links).

von Marwitz
when we got done with ‘rubble creation phase’ about 3/4 of the map was in ruins. I printed out a bunch of paper rubble overlays put them on map and covered with plexiglass

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
when we got done with ‘rubble creation phase’ about 3/4 of the map was in ruins. I printed out a bunch of paper rubble overlays put them on map and covered with plexiglass
As for the amount of rubble in Rees, this seems quite realistic. One could also imagine many ruins in Rees similar to VotG 'Roofless Buildings' rather than completely rubbled as can be seen in the pictures.

For the purposes of the game map, personally I would probably have used the VASL map, placed rubble on it, then printed it and used it without plexiglass (as my personal preference always has been to play directly on a map).

Cheers,
von Marwitz

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One could also imagine many ruins in Rees similar to VotG 'Roofless Buildings' rather than completely rubbled as can be seen in the pictures.

Cheers,
von Marwitz
That would be an awesome VASL extension.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That would be an awesome VASL extension.
The difficulty with this is that the building artworks are individual, so it is pretty much impossible to apply generic 'Roofless Buildings' to them short of creating them individually for each building. That would be a titanic effort which would see no practical use as there is no 'cardboard' equivalent for a 'Roofless Building' comparable to a 'Rubble' counter.

von Marwitz

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes looking cool is enough. See most pop stars' careers.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I think the large one-piece map printed at 100% prints out 1" hexes. The map 'pieces' are so you can print at home on a regular printer and piece them together, a neat idea that Al Cannamore came up with.

Tom
Thanks Tom for replying to this, I just know the final map looked awesome once you guys printed it, Vic.

Reactions: Del