Turning covered arc when eligible to fire

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Say you have a tank that is eligible to fire its weapons, but really all it wants to do is change covered arc. Can it change covered arc without rolling the dice, or must a DR occur for one of the eligible weapons to chance breakdown? What if the only eligible weapon is an AAMG? Can you change the CA with an AAMG shot?

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
See D3.12: an AFV can change its VCA/TCA at the end of a friendly fire phase if it has a bow-mounted/turret-mounted weapon which is still eligible to fire (without intensive fire), without actually taking a shot. There is a Q&A saying that one can change VCA if a turret mounted weapon is eligible to fire, provided it is a Gun. (I.e.: a CMG is not enough).

I would say an AAMG is not enough to change TCA (either with or without taking shot), but I could not find a rule or official Q&A confirming this.

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
According to D1.83:

...for rules purposes [an AAMG] is considered neither "turret-mounted" nor "bow-mounted"...​
At the end of a friendly fire phase, you may change VCA without rolling dice so long as a turret-mounted or bow-mounted weapon (not just Gun - D3.12...I see the Q&A, but I don't see how that statement squares with D3.12) is still eligible to fire (without using Intensive Fire). You may likewise change TCA when a turret-mounted weapon is so eligible to fire.

NOTE: C3.22 - "...Such a change in the PFPh cancels any movement possibilities for that Gun (even a vehicular Gun) and its crew for the rest of that Player Turn, but does not prevent that Gun from attacking in the AFPh — presumably now without any Case A DRM."​

You may also attempt an actual shot by the same weapons in order to change VCA/TCA as appropriate to that weapon (as above), but for either a TCA or VCA change, an AAMG is not sufficient (unless that AAMG is CA restricted).

Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
While I think the OP question has been answered and is clear, Koestler's notice of the Q&A is interesting (possibly old news? - It's new to me). Here's the Q&A:

D3.12 May an AFV change the VCA at the end of a friendly fire phase in which the AFV is eligible to fire only a turret-mounted weapon?​

A. Yes, if it is a Gun (C3.22 & D3.12). [Compil3]​

But the relevant passage in D3.12 doesn't say "Gun." It says any "weapon.":

D3.12 ...The TCA may change as a result of firing a turret-mounted weapon outside its current TCA and the VCA may change for firing a turret/bow-mounted weapon outside its current VCA (Case A), or at the end of any friendly fire phase in which the AFV is eligible to fire (a turret-mounted weapon for TCA or turret/bow-mounted weapon for VCA) without using Intensive Fire (as per C3.22).​
Reference to C3.22 doesn't seem to add any confusion:

3.22 CHANGING CA WITHOUT FIRE: A Gun may change its CA without firing only at the end of a friendly fire phase (not MPh), and only if at that time its crew is still able to fire it without using Intensive/Sustained Fire [EXC: (un)limbering (10.22), Pushing (10.3), and turreted guns with other turreted armament (D3.51)]. Such a change in the PFPh cancels any movement possibilities for that Gun (even a vehicular Gun) and its crew for the rest of that Player Turn, but does not prevent that Gun from attacking in the AFPh — presumably now without any Case A DRM.​
The rule itself refers to Guns, but D3.12 says that VCA can be changed using any eligible "turret/bow-mounted weapon (as per C3.22). To me, I think C3.22 is a rule for Guns, but D3.12 is allowing other weapons to do the same thing as if they were Guns.

On the facts that I can see, I think the Q&A has misinterpreted the rule. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Koestler

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
D1.83 indeed prevents using an AAMG (except a fixed one) to change TCA; thanks.

About the 'old' Q&A, note that it concerns changing VCA (not TCA) by having an eligible turret mounted weapon, something the text of D3.12 does not seem to allow for. The Q&A would thus add that an eligible turret mounted Gun allows changing VCA. This is still a bit odd, since actually firing a CMG seems to allow for changing VCA as per D3.12. ("However, whenever a vehicle fires a turret-mounted weapon outside its VCA (...) the VCA is not changed (unless the vehicle uses the NT DRM application of case A).") Further thoughts?