Turner's Gettysburg

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
last_cav1971 said:
Berenger is one of the best in the business today........He has a new movie on video.......Sniper 3.......looks pretty decent. I may rent it. He played a hell of a roll in the first one.

Mark
Deo Vindice
Sniper 2 was pretty good, too. I also liked him as T.R. and he made me dislike him as the infamous Sgt. Barnes. Berenger seems to know history and seems to know how to bring historical characters to life very well.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Nico said:
In Gettysburg main characters are Lee and Longstreet in G&G they are in background. Main character is Jackson. If someone dont know ACW history he could think that Jackson was responsible for all victories ;) and Lee was just addition to him :laugh:

Lee and Longstreet from G&G cant match with those in Gettysburg :shock:
Initially G & G was supposed to be about Lee, Jackson, Chamberlain and Hancock. Maxwell condensed the other characters down too much. Unfortunately, the movie did not make a good biopic of of Jackson and an even worse rendition of the novel.

A good biopic would show the good and bad sides of Jackson and show his best and worst battles. It did not show Jackson's worst (the 7 Days) or his best, the Valley Campaign. Early on Jackson was not always the good subodrinate that they portray in the movie. He, along with Longstreet, grew into their positions as Lee's most able subordinates.

I thought that Robert Duvall makes an excellent Lee. They gave him too little to do, though. And Longstreet was put on the backburner in the G & G book, too.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Doughboy said:
You Bet, not getting Berenger back as Longstreet really bugged the heck out of me as well. Glad someone else out there feels the same way.

Heh, Heh, I sorry but, its hard to take Bruce Boxleitner as Longstreet, I still remember him as Tron!! :laugh:

Maybe someone should let Ron Maxwell know before he starts filming the Last Measure.

regards

John:cheeky:
If he makes the Last Full Measure, it'll take a miracle. He'll need to find another taker to fund that venture - Turner is hurting for cash (not that he doesn't have enough to remain comfortable for the rest of his life.) since he took a bath in making G & G and the AOL/Time-Warner deal.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll chip in a few dollars for The Last Full Measure!

Seriously, though, are they ever going to release the six-hour version I've heard rumored about? Because maybe we'll get to see some more of Lee, Longstreet, Chamberlain, and Hancock. Berenger is one of my favorite actors, but I'll give Boxleitner a chance if they only let him speak! And I thought Duvall would have a much bigger role. He seemed excellent as Lee in the few scenes he was in.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
GeorgiaDixie said:
I'll chip in a few dollars for The Last Full Measure!

Seriously, though, are they ever going to release the six-hour version I've heard rumored about? Because maybe we'll get to see some more of Lee, Longstreet, Chamberlain, and Hancock. Berenger is one of my favorite actors, but I'll give Boxleitner a chance if they only let him speak! And I thought Duvall would have a much bigger role. He seemed excellent as Lee in the few scenes he was in.
Good Point, sure would like to see more characterization of Lee in any case. Perhaps some of the missing footage shows Jackson at his finest with the Valley campaign, certainly there were several key battles that were missing in the film. Finally, I felt that there must be more material featuring Duvall as Lee, as it stands it seems to me that his talents were wasted.

Do suppose that the 6 hr version was a rumour then? So better editing could be done though, I found some scenes were tedious and awkward to watch, for example the Bonny Blue Flag bit I certainly can live without. I am at a bit of loss whether stomaching Jackson's devoteness to God is something most contempary audiences appreciate. I certainly understand the reasoning that it was a different time and that's the way people were but, it was a bit much.

regards

Doughboy

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doughboy said:
Do suppose that the 6 hr version was a rumour then? So better editing could be done though, I found some scenes were tedious and awkward to watch, for example the Bonny Blue Flag bit I certainly can live without.
regards

Doughboy
The Bonnie Blue Flag scene was so that the backer, Ted Turner, could get his air time. :D
:flag:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
RichardS said:
The Bonnie Blue Flag scene was so that the backer, Ted Turner, could get his air time. :D
Yes, it was truly shameless, at least his character gets in Gettysburg!!! :cheeky:

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doughboy said:
Yes, it was truly shameless, at least his character gets in Gettysburg!!! :cheeky:
Yeah, why couldn't he just have been another Colonel who bought it at Fredericksburg or something like that? I don't mind him getting his time onscreen, he's the main reason the film got made, just wish it made more sense!

Reaction score
Turner should be praised. TBS and TNT have produced more 19th century oriented movies than any major network. In many way turner helped keep the western alive.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GeorgiaDixie said:
Yeah, why couldn't he just have been another Colonel who bought it at Fredericksburg or something like that? I don't mind him getting his time onscreen, he's the main reason the film got made, just wish it made more sense!
Because Colonel Patton didn't die at Fredericksburg. It would have been stranger seeing the same man die twice in two battles, no? :cheeky:

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RichardS said:
Because Colonel Patton didn't die at Fredericksburg. It would have been stranger seeing the same man die twice in two battles, no? :cheeky:

Well, I guess he had to be a real colonel. They could have shown him in the background on something else, like they did with Robert Byrd.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GeorgiaDixie said:
Well, I guess he had to be a real colonel. They could have shown him in the background on something else, like they did with Robert Byrd.
Well, if yer the one ponying up the money and you want a cameo. You get a cameo. :cheeky: But who knows? Perhaps a craving for more air time will lead to 'A Last Full Measure'

PvtManaCoB3MD

Reaction score
Country
ll
It's been awhile

The Hagerstown newspaper had an article today (12/23) about the Last Full Measure script not being completed yet, and preproduction would not start before 2006. The Washington Co. commissioners say that Gods and Generals was a flop and they want to concentrate on getting their 300,000 dollar loan back from Ron Maxwell, which, if they think progress is not being made, they'll want it back with 5% interest.

It's been since July since I've posted....feels weird

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
I hate to burst anyone's bubble here (especially on Christmas Day, a Very Merry Christmas to everyone, by the way), but I just saw Jeff Shaara on CSPAN2 last night. He said that people have told him on several occasions that there is a move afoot to get "Last Full Measure" released. He said that actually it is more wishful thinking at this point than anything. There has been no move by Turner (I guess he's still hurting for cash) to do so, and any work on a movie requires Shaara's signature. So far no one has come to him to ask for the rights to do a movie, either. This speech, dated 11/9/04, about his WWI book, was punctuated by questions about the ACW trilogy by his Dad and him.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Nico said:
In Gettysburg main characters are Lee and Longstreet in G&G they are in background. Main character is Jackson. If someone dont know ACW history he could think that Jackson was responsible for all victories ;) and Lee was just addition to him :laugh:

Lee and Longstreet from G&G cant match with those in Gettysburg :shock:
But remember that the movie makers are telling a story, and Jackson was the best tool to tell that story. The military aspects are but one part of a horrible muti-faceted war.

And I feel that Duvall's Lee was far superior to Sheen's.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Janos said:
But remember that the movie makers are telling a story, and Jackson was the best tool to tell that story. The military aspects are but one part of a horrible muti-faceted war.

And I feel that Duvall's Lee was far superior to Sheen's.
I have to agree with Janos on Duvall's portrayal of Lee. If he would have just had more scenes, he beat Sheen to pieces.
I believe that Stephen Lang did an excellent job as Jackson, as well. I thought it would be hard to see him playing Jackson after he had played Pickett in Gettysburg, but he did a really good job capturing the "real" personality of Jackson. He must have read quite a bit to go that deep into the role of such a complex man.

Mark
Deo Vindice

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
last_cav1971 said:
I have to agree with Janos on Duvall's portrayal of Lee. If he would have just had more scenes, he beat Sheen to pieces.
I believe that Stephen Lang did an excellent job as Jackson, as well. I thought it would be hard to see him playing Jackson after he had played Pickett in Gettysburg, but he did a really good job capturing the "real" personality of Jackson. He must have read quite a bit to go that deep into the role of such a complex man.

Mark
Deo Vindice
I agree -- I think Sheen did a fine job but Duvall was just flat better. Lang did a great job as Jackson -- a hard acting job if there ever was one in this movie -- but I admit I had some difficulty on the first viewing with "Pickett" playing Jackson.