Turner's Gettysburg

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I think you may have a thread on this but oh well... This is kinda a two parter anyway. I watched the movie and from a totally uninformed standpoint (From re-enacting I know the tactics, weapons, and way of life... not particulars of the battles) I would say it paints a very good picture of what occured on each day of Gettysburg though obviously there are parts of the battle left out. It was slow at times but I'd say I can stand it a bit more than Gods and Generals at least the "slow" parts all have much meaning. The battle scenes (especially "Pickett's Charge") make me want to be there this summer for the National Event of Gettysburg... to see that many men ready to do battle would be the rush of a lifetime.

2nd. Is there anywhere where I can get maps of individual days of the battles that have the positions/units labelled and provide sort of a small synopsis of the batlle(s) occuring.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! Those are pretty good... in fact I just learned that the Regiment my Company is a part of (8th Louisiana)was in Hay's Brigade of Ewell's Corps. Now I just got to sift through and find out what action we were involved in during the other two days.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Barcelona, A good, quick source would be the Osprey Orders of Battle series. They have OBs from both perspectives and list where each unit fought on each day. Also, where they can, they have the various names of the companies in the regiment. The author's name is Jim Arnold. There are six books altogether - one for each side, for each day.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Tom DeFranco said:
Barcelona, A good, quick source would be the Osprey Orders of Battle series. They have OBs from both perspectives and list where each unit fought on each day. Also, where they can, they have the various names of the companies in the regiment. The author's name is Jim Arnold. There are six books altogether - one for each side, for each day.
Absolutely right. When you're ready to dig deeper, look for the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion, where you can find the reports from nearly every action throughout the war -- you may even find the 8 LA's report from Gettysburg, written by (or for) the commander.

Reaction score
BarcelonaBlom said:
Well I think you may have a thread on this but oh well... This is kinda a two parter anyway. I watched the movie and from a totally uninformed standpoint (From re-enacting I know the tactics, weapons, and way of life... not particulars of the battles) I would say it paints a very good picture of what occured on each day of Gettysburg though obviously there are parts of the battle left out. It was slow at times but I'd say I can stand it a bit more than Gods and Generals at least the "slow" parts all have much meaning. The battle scenes (especially "Pickett's Charge") make me want to be there this summer for the National Event of Gettysburg... to see that many men ready to do battle would be the rush of a lifetime.

2nd. Is there anywhere where I can get maps of individual days of the battles that have the positions/units labelled and provide sort of a small synopsis of the batlle(s) occuring.
Personally, I think the Chamberlain's 20th Maine at Little Round Top is the best part. In today's life surrounded by mass media it seems a bit cliche, but Chamberlain's oratory skills should not be overlooked, without his rare gift of the spoken word I doubt the 20th Maine would have held.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lance Williams said:
Personally, I think the Chamberlain's 20th Maine at Little Round Top is the best part. In today's life surrounded by mass media it seems a bit cliche, but Chamberlain's oratory skills should not be overlooked, without his rare gift of the spoken word I doubt the 20th Maine would have held.
I agree. Despite his excellent sense of tactics and his determination, it was truly his ability to communicate those to his men that led him to successthat day and thereafter.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just don't see Jeff Daniels in the part... I made a friend watch it and after it was over I just said, "Ya know the guy that plays the Colonel there in that big hill battle..... thats Jeff Daniels" We argued for about 10 minutes then I rolled the credits and showed him the box and he shut-up..

I agree it was a well done part. And I've learned how obnoxious Pickett was supposed to be.

Reaction score
BarcelonaBlom said:
I just don't see Jeff Daniels in the part... I made a friend watch it and after it was over I just said, "Ya know the guy that plays the Colonel there in that big hill battle..... thats Jeff Daniels" We argued for about 10 minutes then I rolled the credits and showed him the box and he shut-up..

I agree it was a well done part. And I've learned how obnoxious Pickett was supposed to be.
You just have to make sure you've never seen "Dumb and Dumber"....

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lance Williams said:
You just have to make sure you've never seen "Dumb and Dumber"....
That helps........but Daniels did favor Chamberlain quite a bit.
Probably more so than any of the other commanders and their respective actors portrayed in the movies.

Mark
Deo Vindice

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
last_cav1971 said:
That helps........but Daniels did favor Chamberlain quite a bit.
Probably more so than any of the other commanders and their respective actors portrayed in the movies.

Mark
Deo Vindice
Jeff Daniels is really a good dramatic actor, I actually saw Gettysburg before Dumb and Dumber and I wasn't that old, so I couldn't understand how that could be the same person! Anyway, he does closely resemble Chamberlain. I also believe Tom Berenger resembled Longstreet very much. I still think they should have brought Berenger back and made Longstreet and Chamberlain more central to the prequel.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
I disagree about Jeff Daniels. I think he was perfect for the role. He had always seemed to have roles in "womens'movies" up til the role of Chamberlain. He very seldom did an action role. Gettysburg changed things for him.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
GeorgiaDixie said:
Jeff Daniels is really a good dramatic actor, I actually saw Gettysburg before Dumb and Dumber and I wasn't that old, so I couldn't understand how that could be the same person! Anyway, he does closely resemble Chamberlain. I also believe Tom Berenger resembled Longstreet very much. I still think they should have brought Berenger back and made Longstreet and Chamberlain more central to the prequel.
Agreed on all counts. Longstreet had figured big earlier in the war and was somehow relegated to a behind the scenes role in G&G.

Reaction score
Tom DeFranco said:
Agreed on all counts. Longstreet had figured big earlier in the war and was somehow relegated to a behind the scenes role in G&G.
Bruce Boxleitner couldn't carry Tom Berenger's fake beard, big floppy hat and cigar........

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
I think both Boxleitner and Berenger are good actors. I do prefer Berenger in the role as I got the feeling he really studied the role and had an appreciation for Longstreet that Boxleitner didn't have.

Still, who's to know how good Boxleitner could have been if he'd done more than recite a few well known Longstreet quotes. For pure acting talent - Berenger over Boxleitner anytime.

Nico

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
In Gettysburg main characters are Lee and Longstreet in G&G they are in background. Main character is Jackson. If someone dont know ACW history he could think that Jackson was responsible for all victories ;) and Lee was just addition to him :laugh:

Lee and Longstreet from G&G cant match with those in Gettysburg :shock:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
GeorgiaDixie said:
You Bet, not getting Berenger back as Longstreet really bugged the heck out of me as well. Glad someone else out there feels the same way.

Heh, Heh, I sorry but, its hard to take Bruce Boxleitner as Longstreet, I still remember him as Tron!! :laugh:

Maybe someone should let Ron Maxwell know before he starts filming the Last Measure.

regards

John:cheeky:

Last edited:

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tom DeFranco said:
I think both Boxleitner and Berenger are good actors. I do prefer Berenger in the role as I got the feeling he really studied the role and had an appreciation for Longstreet that Boxleitner didn't have.

Still, who's to know how good Boxleitner could have been if he'd done more than recite a few well known Longstreet quotes. For pure acting talent - Berenger over Boxleitner anytime.
Berenger is one of the best in the business today........He has a new movie on video.......Sniper 3.......looks pretty decent. I may rent it. He played a hell of a roll in the first one.

Mark
Deo Vindice