Turn marker aka turn counter

zcrater

Reaction score
First name
Zeke
Country
llUnited States
I am curious about VASL's choice to only offer a generic Axis / Allied turn marker in VASL Counters, Other, Map, Turn Markers. I personally missed the specific nationality turn markers that came with the physical ASL modules but I get so much joy from VASL that I happily used the generic turn marker for years.

When Forgotten War was published it was obvious to me that the generic Axis / Allied turn marker was not optimal for Forgotten War's combatants. Adding Forgotten War's VASL turn markers made sense to me and I thought nothing of it except to remember that I missed WWII specific nationality turn markers.

Then Croix de Guerre got its own VASL specific nationality Turn Markers (by Module).

Will the other existing ASL modules' turn markers be added in the future? Only new future ASL modules's turn markers? Do unaltered reprints count? Pray, quiet the hobgoblin of my little mind.

Zeke

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nothing in the world stops you from scanning and adding them yourself, I suppose.

Adding counters to a VASSAL module is one of the easier things to do. But it could be that in VASL it is harder to 'officially' impliment since it's not updated on the normal VASSAL server.

I do agree the generic counter gets exceedingly repetitive!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am curious about VASL's choice to only offer a generic Axis / Allied turn marker in VASL Counters, Other, Map, Turn Markers. I personally missed the specific nationality turn markers that came with the physical ASL modules but I get so much joy from VASL that I happily used the generic turn marker for years.

When Forgotten War was published it was obvious to me that the generic Axis / Allied turn marker was not optimal for Forgotten War's combatants. Adding Forgotten War's VASL turn markers made sense to me and I thought nothing of it except to remember that I missed WWII specific nationality turn markers.

Then Croix de Guerre got its own VASL specific nationality Turn Markers (by Module).

Will the other existing ASL modules' turn markers be added in the future? Only new future ASL modules's turn markers? Do unaltered reprints count? Pray, quiet the hobgoblin of my little mind.

Zeke
You're not the first to ask and I agree. I think it's on the to do list already but if not, I'll put it there. As always, time is the limiting factor.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Adding Forgotten War's VASL turn markers made sense to me and I thought nothing of it except to remember that I missed WWII specific nationality turn markers.

You're not the first to ask and I agree. I think it's on the to do list already but if not, I'll put it there. As always, time is the limiting factor.
I don't know much about programming, but maybe some of the work you put into the Extension to generate custom counters could be used for generating custom Turn Markers?

I am thinking about a context menu for a 'pulled' Turn Marker that allows you to

1. Select the number of sides (usually 2, but there are few scenarios with 3 sides)
  2. Select the nationality per side (using a dropdown list, which will result in the appropriate 'picture' to appear on the Turn Wheel
  3. Select the number of nationalities for a given side (i.e. for scenarios with Germans plus Italians on one side vs. British on the other...)
von Marwitz

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm pleased to offer you this DRAFT extension which introduces a customizable turn marker to VASL. You can get it here for a limited time:

Place the extension in your extension folder and then open VASL. You'll find the turn markers here:

The top two markers are turn markers. The bottom two markers are reinforcement markers. Use these markers on the turn track to mark the turn reinforcements enter the game.

All four are interrelated. Right click on a marker to set a frontside nationality and a backside nationality. Once set, all four markers will reflect your choice; frontside on the two markers on the left of the above screenshot, and backside on the two markers on the right of the above screenshot.

To use simply drag a turn marker to the main map and right click on it. Click Ctrl+S to set the sides to your preference from the drop down menu. The first drop down menu sets the frontside, click OK. The second drop down menu sets the backside, click OK. Create a reinforcement marker from the right click menu of the turn marker (Ctrl+R); or, by dragging it from the VASL counters window you see above. Flip (Ctrl+F) a turn marker to show the other side. Flip a reinforcement marker to show a mirror image of the other side.

Remember, if you change sides for one marker, you change sides for them all. This was intentional so that you only have to set the sides once to use any of the markers.

This is a DRAFT version and thus is subject to change. It won't change though if you don't provide suggestions or comments so please check it out and let me know what you think. At some point, this will be imported to the core VASL module.

A BIG SHOUT out to Gordon Molek. He took the reigns and ran, no, galloped with this by providing all the artwork and proofing it. Quite simply, it wouldn't have happened without him. Thank you Gordon!

Have a happy new year all. Enjoy :)

Allan

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This is a DRAFT version and thus is subject to change. It won't change though if you don't provide suggestions or comments so please check it out and let me know what you think. At some point, this will be imported to the core VASL module.
Tried it with 3.4.12 and 6.6.1 on a Mac with Big Sur. It did not work as expected. It seems to be stuck on the Allied side.

As well, when I used Ctrl+S to try to select a side, the counter dialog had me do it twice and ignored it both times.

There seems to be an option to change the counter to a reinforcement indicator. It instead causes the two versions to co-exist.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Tried it with 3.4.12 and 6.6.1 on a Mac with Big Sur. It did not work as expected. It seems to be stuck on the Allied side.
It worked for me (Windows 10), but it was sometimes a little slow changing the image, and I had to click around a bit before it actually changed.

There seems to be an option to change the counter to a reinforcement indicator. It instead causes the two versions to co-exist.
It seems to create an additional reinforcement marker, rather than change the existing counter. Again, I had to click around a bit, but I was able to eventually select just the reinforcement marker, and drag it away.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
You could use control markers to denote whose turn it is...
ALSO, it won't screw you up as to WHICH part of the turn it is.

There was NEVER a need to have an open window...if you don't know a 1 comes before the 2...you might want to play a different game.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

View attachment 15907

As well, when I used Ctrl+S to try to select a side, the counter dialog had me do it twice and ignored it both times.

View attachment 15908
Notice when it ask you for SIDES. The first time is the front side and the second time is the backside.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good to see it’s working so far guys, thanks.

@Michael R :

Creating a reinforcement marker from a turn marker creates a new counter which is stacked on top the turn marker. It does not replace the turn marker. Does that resolve the issue?

Also, I’m not sure why it’s not loading the backside for you. As noted up thread, sometimes you do need to click on or move the marker to get VASSAL to fire the change command. I haven’t tried it on my Mac but I’m not really a Mac guy and I’m running an older OS, Sierra I think. So I’m probably not much help. Jackson has it working on a Mac. Maybe he can help here.

Tigernaut

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Appears to be working but did get a bad data entry in my chat window Bad Data in Module: German Turn [Dynamic Property - Owner] - Expression evaluation error {((TurnMarker1==Hungarian (green)") ? 18 : (TurnMarkerLayerLevel1))} . although using the Setup for T1 Gavin Take from the VASL download scenarios page, so might be related to that ?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Appears to be working but did get a bad data entry in my chat window Bad Data in Module: German Turn [Dynamic Property - Owner] - Expression evaluation error {((TurnMarker1==Hungarian (green)") ? 18 : (TurnMarkerLayerLevel1))} . although using the Setup for T1 Gavin Take from the VASL download scenarios page, so might be related to that ?
Thanks. I'll check it out.

edit: problem found and quick fix applied.

Get DRAFT 003 here:

Nice catch.

Last edited: