Tunnels

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
rule B 8.6 says: The entrances must be in separate ground level building, pillbox, brush, or woods Locations
(emphasis mine).
Does it means, plain and simple that tunnel with entrances both at a level 1 hill woods are NA?

I ask because rule adds: The tunnel may not pass beneath any hex whose base elevation differs from that of its entrance Locations (which must both be at the same elevation) or beneath any Water Obstacle hex.
So any elevation is good if both entrances are at the same level?
This confuses me, since it seems that it contraddicts what said before

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Are you asking if "ground level" means "level zero" on the map? If so, then the answer is no. I don't believe that "ground level" of a hex is formally defined, but it seems to mean roughly the level of the non-subterranean, non-upper-level-of-building, non-cellar-of-a-building, non-aerial location of the hex. It's hard to tell how it applies to depression hexes, with crest level and all, but that isn't important for tunnels as they can't start in depressions. It seems to be similar to "base level" except that for a building that can't have VBM, the base level will be the highest location of the building while the ground level will still be the the lowest non-cellar location of that building, and for depressions it's not clear what the term means.¹ A tunnel could certainly go from ground level one to ground level one as long as long as the base level of the hexes it passes under are also level one.

¹ I think it's highly likely that ground level means the same as base level for depressions, but again for this question it doesn't matter.

JR

Last edited:

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
that makes sense, thanks. I asked to be sure.

BTW, in theory, a Tunnel dug among rocks in hill/ mountain, could be much harder to build than a Tunnel running from a zero level to another zero level in clear/plain terrain. Hence the doubt that rules disallow this kind of item.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
BTW, in theory, a Tunnel dug among rocks in hill/ mountain, could be much harder to build than a Tunnel running from a zero level to another zero level in clear/plain terrain. Hence the doubt that rules disallow this kind of item.
I don't think ASL is that geologically accurate. And if one starts down that path, one has to consider that in certain places (e.g. iwo jima, peleliu) the geology was such that it was not difficult to tunnel through solid rock. Perhaps someday we'll get the Advanced Civil Engineer module we've all been dreaming of and longing for.

JR

Reactions: ecz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I keep to overstimate this game from 1993!