TSATC Install Question

Kegel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just received my copy of TSATC and already have ATF installed. I also ordered the Falklands but it hasnt come yet. Is it possible to install TSATC over ATF and THEN the Falklands or must you install them in the order they came out? ie..ATF, the Falklands and then TSATC. I guess I could wait until tomorrow when the other one comes but I want to play. ;)

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When TFW comes, just install it over ATF, and then re-install TSATC over it (in other words, you don't have to uninstall everything first).

For now, the order should be:

ATF->ATF Patch->TSATC->TSATC patch

After you get TFW, do this

TFW->TFW Patch->TSATC->TSATC patch

Everything should then work fine.

The only thing you will lose is the ability view the TFW scenario start pages in TSATC (there is a lot of cool historical information there). To look at them, just navigate to the "Data" subdirectory of the ATF install directory and open them (they are HTML pages) using your web browser.

I hope that helps.

Kegel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat Proctor said:
When TFW comes, just install it over ATF, and then re-install TSATC over it (in other words, you don't have to uninstall everything first).

For now, the order should be:

ATF->ATF Patch->TSATC->TSATC patch

After you get TFW, do this

TFW->TFW Patch->TSATC->TSATC patch

Everything should then work fine.

The only thing you will lose is the ability view the TFW scenario start pages in TSATC (there is a lot of cool historical information there). To look at them, just navigate to the "Data" subdirectory of the ATF install directory and open them (they are HTML pages) using your web browser.

I hope that helps.

So if I wait and install ATF, then TFW then TSATC I should be able to view the TFW scenario pages in TSATC?

What do most people do here? I would imagine Im going to have 3 exe's. Do you just play every game through the TSATC exe? Does that work?

Thanks for the quick reply here and especially thank you for the great games. Really enjoy ATF....looking forward to these two and will most certainly buy air assault.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good questions, all.

No matter how you do it, you will not be able to see the TFW start pages in TSATC.

*WARNING*: Following procedure is a pain in the ass :)

You COULD install TFW and TSATC to seperate directories (seperate from eachother AND ATF), apply the patch to each, and then copy the contents of the TFW directory over to the ATF directory, followed by the TSATC directory.

Then, if you wanted to play TFW, copy the "Setup.txt" file from the TFW directory to the ATF directory (containing all three games). If you want to play the TSATC game, copy the "setup.txt" file from the TSATC directory to the ATF directory.

You can do this any number of times, when you want to switch between the games. Just make sure you copy the setup.txt file each time, rather than move it, which will eventually end up with you losing one or the other setup.txt file and having to reinstall both games to get them back.

Of course all of this is unneccessary if you just want to start the scenarios from each game using the "Start imported scenario" button, rather than selecting them from the scenario start pages.

To answer your other question, all ATF Engine games share a single executable name. The engines for each game are a different version, and the early version cannot run all later version scenarios, which is why the news game should always be the last one copied over to the common folder. But they are all called "atf.exe" so that the shortcuts will all work without modification, allowing you to over-install the games using the procedure I described in my previous post.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW, AATF will ALSO be backwards compatible with ATF (though it is a completely new engine and will have a new executable name). Just install it over ALL of your ATF Engine games, select "Begin Single Mission" and select the old scenarios.

This will only work with the RELEASE version of the game (the one you buy) not the DEMO or the BETA DEMO (coming soon).

Not to taunt you with a game you don't have yet, but I am REALLY happy with how this turned out. The older scenarios look AWESOME in the new engine. And they automatically get upgrades like the new AI and damage model :D

Kegel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Im going to go with option A: Install all of them on top of one another :)

Will AATF be run in 16 bit color too? Thats the only gripe I have with these games...er sims. I know they can be run in 32 bit but they seem to look better in 16 (wierd). Pain having to switch the desktop resolution each time I want to play (I use Windowblinds and the switch porks the desktop graphics...have to restart windowblinds each time).

Seems like a windows script could be written to take care of the copying of the setup.txt files back and forth automatically. Think I might give it a go.

Last edited:

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AATF DOES solve the 16 bit issue. The graphics for the game are in 32 bit color, and the game takes over the display, more like your standard PC game fare. So all of the settings for video are now handled by the game engine.

Binder

BierFeldMarschall
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sadly, not very computer literate

Just to make sure I get this right when I do this, I need to install all ATF games (i.e., from ATF through TSATC) into one directory?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You don't HAVE to. You can, if you prefer, install each in its own directory.

What you gain from installing all in one directory is that you can play all of the scenarios with the newest version of the engine. What you lose is the ability to see the scenario selection pages (in game, at least) for the games built before the latest game you have installed.

John Osborne

Reaction score
Pat,

with James and Bil getting me back into ATF again with our future AATF Campagin. I have a question for you. You may have answered this before, but

This is what’s new to Raging Tiger:

• Change Settings in the Configuration File
• Lock Units from Input or Make Them Invisible
• Establish 'Events' to Unlock Units or Make them Visible
• Use the 'Vehicle Carrier' Vehicle Capability
• Use the 'Amphibious Vehicle' Vehicle Capability
• Add the 'Water' Attribute to a Terrain Type
• Use the 'Limited Mobility' Vehicle Capability
• Create and Use Campaign Start Pages
• Adding Vehicle Sounds to Vehicles
• Adding Vehicle Help Pictures to Vehicles
• Protect Your Scenario Files
• Add a Dismount Radius Rule

This is what’s new to The Falkland Wars 1982:

• Use New Settings Available in the Configuration File
• Set the Skill Level for a Group of Units
• Create Weather Events in the Environment Component
• Create High Resolution Maps
• Add an AI Indirect Fire Rule
• Add a Force Color Rule

This is what’s new to The Star and The Crescent:

• Add Radar Capabilities to a Vehicle
• Add the 'Moving Indirect Fire' Capability to a Vehicle
• Add the 'Direct Fire Burst' Capability to a Weapon
• Create a Building
• Add a 'Game Year Rule' to a scenario

The question I have is if I just want to load ATF and then just TSATC will I get all of the other new additions or just what is new to TSATC?

Another question is with AATF coming out soon will it have all these additions and more? Can we get a list of any new additions to AATF?

JohnO

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Osborne said:
Pat,

with James and Bil getting me back into ATF again with our future AATF Campagin. I have a question for you. You may have answered this before, but

This is what’s new to Raging Tiger:

• Change Settings in the Configuration File
• Lock Units from Input or Make Them Invisible
• Establish 'Events' to Unlock Units or Make them Visible
• Use the 'Vehicle Carrier' Vehicle Capability
• Use the 'Amphibious Vehicle' Vehicle Capability
• Add the 'Water' Attribute to a Terrain Type
• Use the 'Limited Mobility' Vehicle Capability
• Create and Use Campaign Start Pages
• Adding Vehicle Sounds to Vehicles
• Adding Vehicle Help Pictures to Vehicles
• Protect Your Scenario Files
• Add a Dismount Radius Rule

This is what’s new to The Falkland Wars 1982:

• Set the Skill Level for a Group of Units
• Create Weather Events in the Environment Component
• Create High Resolution Maps
• Add an AI Indirect Fire Rule
• Add a Force Color Rule

This is what’s new to The Star and The Crescent:

• Add Radar Capabilities to a Vehicle
• Add the 'Moving Indirect Fire' Capability to a Vehicle
• Add the 'Direct Fire Burst' Capability to a Weapon
• Create a Building
• Add a 'Game Year Rule' to a scenario

The question I have is if I just want to load ATF and then just TSATC will I get all of the other new additions or just what is new to TSATC?

Another question is with AATF coming out soon will it have all these additions and more? Can we get a list of any new additions to AATF?

JohnO
TSATC is the "newest" of the ATF engines, so yes, all of those "features" are in the updated TSATC install. Pat will get more in depth, but many of the options you would set in the start file may NOT be available in AATF, or will be available in-game.

Also, anything that is done in the scenario builder is done in the old-style editor will be done the same way in AATF. In other words, the editor will look exactly the same - only the actual game will have the new interface.

Last edited:

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curt did a great job of answering most of the questions. The final question, "What is new in AATF" is kind of difficult to answer in a short post.

I guess the quickest answer is, for the scenario designer, there is nothing new, over and above TSATC. All of the changes to game play are changes in how the engine uses scenarios, rather than what is in the scenarios. AATF takes the same scenario formats from AATF, and "overlays" the new interface, vehicle damage, new AI, and all of the other upgrades AATF brings.

However, for the modder there is a TON of new capabilities in AATF. Virtually the entire interface is moddable in AATF, for the industrius. Want to change every toolbutton in the game? Go ahead. Want to ADD a toolbutton to a window that doesn't have one? Want to change the layout of the unit information windows? Go ahead! The game is much more MOD-able than anything we have ever built.

In fact, we have even converted the game engine to a library. So, if there are any defense-contractor types that need a ground-combat model they can plug into a third-party application on any platform, we have the capability to support THAT, too.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well the fact I am asking this question after going through this thread definitely indicates I am fried a bit with the installation.

I did have ATF and TSATC running in their own directories. I also had the various scenarios from AFT running in TSATC directory.
After some tampering with things as I experiment I ended up causing mayhem in both directories. So simple process; uninstall and reload. No big deal.
Well that was till I came to reinstall.

Now to get my original structure back am I correct in the following:
1. ATF_Dir: install ATF >ATF Patches
2. TSATC_Dir: install TSATC>TSATC patches
3. Copy contents of ATF DATA folder into TSATC DATA folder.
This should also remove the “24 bit” colour message when running TSATC but not for ATF?
4. continue playing about with game to avoid domestic chores!!

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not quite :(

1. Install ATF
2. Install the ATF Patch (you don't have to install them all, just the latest one).
3. Install TSATC over ATF, in the same directory
4. Install the TSATC Patch (again, you don't have to install them all, just the latest one).

Then, when you start TSATC, and select "Imported Mission", all of your ATF scenarios will be listed, as well.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes that was the simple part.
I was also after a pure ATF install as well.
Nothing like making life difficult.
Anyway I think I have resolved its in an odd way. At present i don't seem to have a colour problem either.

McGlu

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How does this work as far as BFC Ep1 goes, Pat?

I have TSATS and BGC. I am considering grabbing AATF.

In what order should I install them to the same folder?

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The correct order is:

TSATC->AATF->BGC1

You could also install each game to its own folder and then copy and paste them into a single, separate folder in that order.

McGlu

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Pat. Got it all set up. Also, I bought AATF from Shrapnel. Looking forward to digging in this weekend.

One thing I noticed about the TSATC mission briefings is that the HTML is not really formatted for the small HTML window in the AATF exe. But, I edited the mission files and removed all of the table formatting so that they now fit.

I've attached them in a zip file. Hopefully, someone will find them useful.

View attachment 25713

Talon_XbmcX

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, for the modder there is a TON of new capabilities in AATF. Virtually the entire interface is moddable in AATF, for the industrius. Want to change every toolbutton in the game? Go ahead. Want to ADD a toolbutton to a window that doesn't have one? Want to change the layout of the unit information windows? Go ahead! The game is much more MOD-able than anything we have ever built.
Is there any documentation on how to mod the game? I'm getting back into this series and would like to take a stab at making some changes and add-on tools.