Trying to decide on a 360

MPHopcroft

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking seriously at buying a 360 next month, but wondering if there are factors that would make me want the less expensive Wii instead. I'd like some advice on what I should look at.

I've noticed the availability of the Xbox 360 Arcade, but am reluctant to buy anything 360 without a hard drive (even if a drive can be theoretically added later, is there a way to do it without modding?). And unfortunately the used consoles I've seen at GameSpot have all been no-drive models.

The key, for me at least, will be availability of titles I'm interested in. I'm looking hard, for example, at FIFA 08. And I still have a last-generation TV, meaning I won't get the most value out of HD graphics. What else should I be thinking about?

jayedub7423

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont have a Wii, and I dont like the Wii, so I cant give you advice there.

But, I do own a 360, so maybe I can help there. I would go for the pro bundle, it comes with two games, a 20gig hdd, the headset, wireless controller, and composit cables that can be used for standard a/v tv sets. You just use the red, white and yellow plug-ins and you're good to go. If you use s-video, you'll need to buy a new video cable.

You should get a 360 with a hard drive, you can save games and download content onto the hard drive. But really, you're decision will be dependant also on the games you like to play. There is alot of downloadable content on the 360, most you pay for but not all. You can also download new demos and give thos a try. And if you're looking to play online, Xbox live is the best of the three, not great, but simple to use. With a new system you get 30 days free of XBL so you give it a try.

Here's an idea, go down to your local gamestop, bestbuy or walmart, and play some on the interactive units. Maybe you'll enjoy waving around a remote over playing with a controller, who knows.

Good luck on your decision.

MPHopcroft

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont have a Wii, and I dont like the Wii, so I cant give you advice there.
You must admit, though, the name is great joke material.

But, I do own a 360, so maybe I can help there. I would go for the pro bundle, it comes with two games, a 20gig hdd, the headset, wireless controller, and composit cables that can be used for standard a/v tv sets. You just use the red, white and yellow plug-ins and you're good to go. If you use s-video, you'll need to buy a new video cable.

You should get a 360 with a hard drive, you can save games and download content onto the hard drive. But really, you're decision will be dependant also on the games you like to play. There is alot of downloadable content on the 360, most you pay for but not all. You can also download new demos and give thos a try. And if you're looking to play online, Xbox live is the best of the three, not great, but simple to use. With a new system you get 30 days free of XBL so you give it a try.

Here's an idea, go down to your local gamestop, bestbuy or walmart, and play some on the interactive units. Maybe you'll enjoy waving around a remote over playing with a controller, who knows.
I tried that just today, playing a WWE wrestling game on the 360. I had no idea what I was doing or even which wrestler I was, so I have no idea if I won or lost. But I was mashing buttons like there was no tomorrow. Perhaps I was controlling BOTH wrestlers and didn't know it.

The weird thing was that one of the wrestlers picked up a sledgehammer and then everyone, incluidng himself, ignored it.

Not that I'm planning to play a wrasslin' game, but....

MPHopcroft

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Incidentally, is Layaway dead? Is it such a great risk that nobody, especially not any of the chains, is willing to take it on? I'm pretty sure I won't have a single paycheck that's enough to cover the console over the holidays, and I'll have to save up and combine three of them, all the while meeting my other needs (including my other gaming needs).

Live

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I say the Xbox360, because more features and the Wii you can't play online with other people around the global. Xbox360, you can chat and and play others :D