Trumping Truth

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or - 'How does Trump Get Away with Lying So Much?

My theory is:

People are very afraid these days. Deep down they're afraid of:

• Economic collapse
  • Environmental collapse
  • Political collapse
  • Other people taking my stuff - (my sh*t gets collapsed)
Much of this is unconscious. And when someone is afraid, especially in an unconscious way, they retreat into fantasy. History gives many examples. This is where Trump fits in.

Trump gives them fantasies to counter the above fears:

• Jobs will come back
  • Global Warming is a hoax
  • Stonewall the opposition / cheat / maintain political control at all costs
  • Build a Wall to keep them away
How do you fight fear? How do you convince someone to not retreat into fantasy? You don't.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Partly however, there is a large, a very large, amount of inelasticity in voting. Even if you don't like Trump, you won't vote for a Democrat or vice-versa. And the people who do "swing", are often discovered to be low-information voters. (Although I must say that those who live in the Fox News/ WSJ bubble may as well be low-information voters based on actual studies.)

Politicians treat us like Pavlovian dogs, i.e. reacting to instant stimulus, and for the most part they are right to because that is how many of us react. Instant reward and instant emotional manipulation now. Trump is a master of it... at least for his supporters.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trump is the master of lies, disinformation, and fantasy alright.

But I suspect that while Trump's supporters are most susceptible to his kind of lying; a very dangerous kind, most Americans fall into other kinds of 'thinking traps' which are also made to order.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
Politicians treat us like Pavlovian dogs, i.e. reacting to instant stimulus, and for the most part they are right to because that is how many of us react. Instant reward and instant emotional manipulation now. Trump is a master of it... at least for his supporters.
Your whole f***ing new economy is hellbent on it: Google, FB, Amazon and the like. Rob personal data in an unbelievable scale, hide oneself behind walls of intransparency, analyze the whole stuff with the aim of manipulating the masses based on the latest knowledge in behavioral economics to act in a certain manner that is not beneficial to anyone except those companies. Anyone with money can buy manipulated behavior.