Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital, move embassy there

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Dr Zaius, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dave68124

Dave68124 Active Member

May 9, 2005
    United States
    Absolutely beyond me what the long-game is here by this move. Short term is will make the Israelis happy and completely piss off the Arab world.

Trump needs to focus on his knitting with North Korea. Finally getting to the tipping point of making some progress there with the Chinese, so I see no reason to throw a flaming bag of shit to distract attention.

2. bendizoid

bendizoid Official ***** Dickweed

Sep 11, 2006
    Viet Nam
    It's called Jerusalem, which in a ancient tongue means "City of the Jews", go figure. It's about time, good job Trump.

3. Sparafucil3

Sparafucil3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Oct 7, 2004
    USA
    If the embassy opens there, it will be bombed IMO. Only a matter of time. Beautiful city. Not a post I would take. -- jim

4. Mister T

Mister T Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2006
    Bruxelles
    What are the concessions on the other side? None !? :rolleyes:

5. Sparafucil3

Sparafucil3 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Oct 7, 2004
    USA
    How do you ask God for concessions? We haven't sorted that out with our own religious right. We certainly haven't sorted it out with ISIS, Al Qa'ida, or the Ayatollah. I admire your commitment to hope. Sadly, I don't think "hope" makes good national policy. -- jim

6. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius Chief Defender of the Faith Staff Member Administrator Moderator

7. Dave68124

Dave68124 Active Member

May 9, 2005
    United States
    Not quite. Many Arab holy sites in the "City of the Jews" as well.

8. Martin Mayers

Martin Mayers Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Manchester
    City of Shalem...a Canaanite. Are Canaanites Jewish? I appreciate they are Semitic, but Christianity and Islam is also Semitic, hence why I ask.

Course, Los Angeles is the City of Angels. Doesn't mean everyone fly around with a halo on their heads strumming harps I presume ?

tunixx likes this.
  9. Paul M. Weir

Paul M. Weir Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Dublin
    According to Wiki
    So allowing for pronunciation drift, the city and name of Jerusalem predates the Jews as a distinct religious and ethnic group by over a millennium. And named after a non-Abrahamic deity to boot!

Besides that, it seems to be an idiotic move without any compensating benefit.

10. Proff3RTR

Proff3RTR Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Cornwall
    I await the Islamic shit storm to follow, To say it is going to Piss off Arabs is putting mildly IMHO, but then again, you do any thing that might might even mildly annoy an Arab and the shit hits the fan, go figure.

11. Melvin Falk

Melvin Falk Fänrik

Oct 20, 2004
    East Front
    You do not make deals with dictators or terrorist lovers. Not surprised that you think otherwise.

Proff3RTR likes this.
  12. TopT

TopT Active Member

May 2, 2004
    Pa
    I said the same thing yesterday. I would not want to be the Marine Embassy detail there. It is going to be non stop for quite a while.

13. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Rod loves red undies

Oct 26, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    If ever there was provocative action to evoke a response, this would do it.

Appears, he wants that so he can go smash the shit out of something, because he sure can't get his power jollies from smashing Korea ATM.

14. MAS01

MAS01 Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Joplin, MO
    Why is it that Israel is the only country on the face of the Earth that is not allowed to proclaim what its capital city will be (according to the UN)?

On this thread alone, there are a couple of Brits, an Aussie and Belgian. What if the rest of the world decided that London, Canberra (and yes, I knew that without having to look it up, I'm that old), and Brussels could not be the capitals of your respective countries? What if we were told that no one would recognize Washington as the capital of the US and instead decided that Columbus, Ohio was instead the capital? We'd tell them to go f*@k themselves. As a sovereign nation, Israel has every right to decide what its capital will be; to say otherwise is to suggest that even the premise of the state of Israel is illegitimate.

At least the Czechs have the balls to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Edit: Sorry Paul, I missed you, Dublin and Ireland the first time around. :)

15. Proff3RTR

Proff3RTR Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Cornwall
    It is the old, 'lets not upset the Muslim' card again, well I would say that card has well and truly been burnt on this one, have ordered and extra big bag of pop corn to watch the fall out that is i am sure to follow.

16. Paul M. Weir

Paul M. Weir Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2004
    Dublin
    Unlike every other capital city that I can think of, ownership of "City of Shalem" is disputed by 2 states, Israel and Palestine. No part of London is going to be claimed by a future independent Scotland, nor has New Zealand any claim on Canberra. If Belgium splits then there most likely will be a major problem with Brussels, as it is a French speaking enclave within Flemish (IE Dutch) speaking Flanders. As for Dublin, the centre (Temple Bar) gets occupied on weekend nights by an endless stream of drunken English stag and hen parties, so they are welcome to it for a few hours.

17. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius Chief Defender of the Faith Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Is Palestine a state? Since when?

18. MAS01

MAS01 Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Joplin, MO
    Wasn't what is now Jordan supposed to be the Arab state when Transjordan was partitioned? (need to look that up tonight)

19. Marty Ward

Marty Ward Active Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Isn't it the law that we move the embassy to Jerusalem but it was just never followed through on?