Trump Isn't Hitler

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Ok, snark off.

Politicians will have policies and promote those policies and those policies will have some different effects on different segments of the populations. In Ireland there are differences in policies that might change the balance between say, agriculture vs tourism vs service industries vs manufacturing. There even is some small amount of debate about immigration/emigration, but that is more about what level than whether at all. So the politicians obviously will promote their policies more vigorously to the segments of the population that might benefit

However it is extremely rare here that a politician denigrates any section of the population or attempts to describe them as not or less than human. The very rare times that that has occurred or has been perceived to have occurred then that politician has been firmly slapped down and forced to apologise. Spanky dehumanised people and whole swathes of people and has not apologised. Not even after attacking the family of a dead US serviceman. With some types, that type of behaviour would be regarded as bad for a career, a case of underlying biases coming to light, quite possibly against the grain of their normal behaviour.

I have faults, many of them, but as I grew older I re-examined all my belief sets and conclusions. I conducted self-criticism, simply because I knew I did not know everything. Each new accumulation of knowledge enabled me to re-examine my outlooks, sometimes drastically, sometimes not at all.

Spanky's vileness is not something that leaks out occasionally in a bad response to some pressure, it's what he revels in. A Feature not a Bug. He has encouraged hatred against many who are resident in the US and most who don't. As a direct result of his speech and actions he has caused the vilest elements in US society to crawl out from their sewers, promoting racial hatred and violence. If the Nazis and the KKK cheer him then you know something is utterly, utterly wrong with that man and no amount of "what about-ism" will hide that.

It's like trying to making a moral equivalency between a store owner giving a regular customer a small discount versus a store owner beating an occasional customer to a bloody pulp because he/she doesn't shop there often enough.

Last edited:

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems time and place determine whether or how exactly an authoritarian ruler comes to power. In some places like Germany, it was Hitler with his ways, in Russia it was Stalin, in Italy it was Mussolini, in Cambodia it was Pol Pot, etc.. For the literal minded - Trump isn't Hitler, which he isn't of course. But both share authoritarianism as a proper way of governing and so did and do most of their followers. Does that mean America will devolve into a fascist state like Germany did? No, not necessarily, but possibly if things get 'bad' (ecological, financial, political upheaval), and that's happened a lot in other times and places. America is not exempt. But our safeguards (media, 'checks and balances' in government, good education, wages) are getting thinner, and some even argue (S.Wolin) that we're already in a (inverted) totalitarian state and have been for quite some time (before Trump) without our even knowing it. We're in unchartered waters but if there's one bright light - we have history as a guide.

Last edited:

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, yes, I so remember HC with her famous "White Devils" aka "Honky Dogs" speech where she described whites, anglo-saxon men in particular, as murdering, raping, thieving animals who should not be allowed into the US and those that were there there should be expelled. She painted a picture of people cowering in their homes while rabid Heritage Foundation gang members roamed the streets, burning and looting. Yes, her finest hour!

I suspect her Christian Travel Ban might have run in trouble with the courts, though, damn pesky constitution. She was also briefly in favour of seizing guns without due process. ... Oh, wait, that was someone else!

Unfortunately, Youtube must have taken that video of her speech down along with the Alex Jones stuff, as I can't find it now, maybe you can help?
The fact you cannot see the other side of the coin tells me everything I need to know about the veracity of your opinion about racism.

MarkDV

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AS we beat a dead horse ie the election of 2016....both sides had their sins.

AS IS I admit to schadenfreude over Hillary losing. Of course that meant that Trump won....can't win for losing on that one.

JMHO