Trump - a symptom or cause?

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

How did this 'comedy bit' not end his political career? .

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
'Fear'. OK, then what causes fear? Got to get to the source
Well, now you're asking existential questions that I can only answer metaphysically. Now, if you're specific about why 60% of white people are voting for a racist jingoist, I'd say it's because they're scared of black and brown folk; and many are also scared of women. Why? because to people used to privilege equality feels like oppression.

Morbii

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm guessing that your point, in part, is that because you and other people supported Trump because he said he was against abortion and that such a position excused his 'somewhat racist behavior' (assuming their opinion here). Hence, he received many of his votes especially from white evangelicals. Understood. I don't like abortion either. No point in argument here either.

But frankly, its not my view that most Trump supporters will see what you've apparently seen for yourself. Nor would I try to convince them - a fool's errand if there ever was. I don't think most of them are playing with a full deck, in spite of their otherwise good qualities. I think that most of such folks have gone around the bend and trying to talk to them in any sensible way seems futile. I think most of them are brainwashed - mainly because of the right-wing media. I wish it weren't so. I'd really like to have those conversations.
I don’t know how you got the impression that I support(ed) trump.

I agree there’s lots of brainwashing — which might also be an excuse, I suppose.

But, my point was that since there are only two choices, one has to go with a lesser evil approach. If your opinion is that voting for someone who seems racist makes one racist, then the logic follows that voting for someone that supports abortion makes one complicit to murder/“genocide”. You see where I’m going here? For many, there is a lesser evil in this scenario that doesn’t agree with you, and it’s their only issue.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don’t know how you got the impression that I support(ed) trump.

I agree there’s lots of brainwashing — which might also be an excuse, I suppose.

But, my point was that since there are only two choices, one has to go with a lesser evil approach. If your opinion is that voting for someone who seems racist makes one racist, then the logic follows that voting for someone that supports abortion makes one complicit to murder/“genocide”. You see where I’m going here? For many, there is a lesser evil in this scenario that doesn’t agree with you, and it’s their only issue.
I apologize - I misunderstood you about voting for Trump. My bad.
I do see where you're going with the racist/murderer thing, but don't agree that 'they both have a point' logic is 100%. But I do see how that logic happens.